Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Despite setting to 80% car charges to 100%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only thing I can think of is that "whomever you are talking about" has "something else" that is interacting with the car. Some third party app or other, that can also interact with setting the charging.

One other thing just came to mind, and thats the fact that the car will try to charge at whatever the last setting was, for the place you are at. If the last time they charged "wherever they were" was 100%, that might be saved as the default charge percentage for that location, till they change it to something else when they charge there.

Those two things are the only thing I can think of, but since its not your car, It could be difficult to find out if they ever at any point tried any third party app that can interact with charging, or if they set 100% as a charge rate at a location.

The only thing I can think of is that "whomever you are talking about" has "something else" that is interacting with the car. Some third party app or other, that can also interact with setting the charging.

nope, not in this case.

One other thing just came to mind, and thats the fact that the car will try to charge at whatever the last setting was, for the place you are at. If the last time they charged "wherever they were" was 100%, that might be saved as the default charge percentage for that location, till they change it to something else when they charge there.

we intentionally set the limit down much lower than 80% at the start of charging, then set it to 80% a minute later.

Those two things are the only thing I can think of, but since its not your car, It could be difficult to find out if they ever at any point tried any third party app that can interact with charging, or if they set 100% as a charge rate at a location.

family member's car

Guess time for Tesla to diagnose, thanks!

Charge rate and schedule are location dependent, but not the charge level. If there's any chance at all of there being third-party access to the car, log into the Tesla website, change the password and revoke any listed tokens. Then you will KNOW that there is no outside influence.

I honestly have never seen this complaint here, and am struggling to explain how it might be coming about.

As @davewill mentioned, charge limit is not a location-associated saved value. I have heard of this happening a few times here on the forum, and it never really gets nailed down to any repeatable kind of condition or setting. It just happens to someone's car for no apparent reason one time, and then doesn't do it again. It just seems to be a rare occasional software glitch.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
As @davewill mentioned, charge limit is not a location-associated saved value. I have heard of this happening a few times here on the forum, and it never really gets nailed down to any repeatable kind of condition or setting. It just happens to someone's car for no apparent reason one time, and then doesn't do it again. It just seems to be a rare occasional software glitch.
Has happened twice so far.