Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Der Spiegel Interview with EM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hooray!. Now lets expand beyond Apples and Googles, please! I didn't like either option when shopping for a smartphone. There is room for better smartphones to come along that do not include walled gardens and require full surrender of the control of your phone optionality or contents. I wouldn't buy car that is married to one technology, especially Apple's. I certainly wouldn't buy a car married to Google either!

Umm.. Android is hardly a walled garden (and that's it's primary problem - malware in the Google Play store because it hasn't been thoroughly checked).

When it comes to connectivity on the road, I far prefer the more robust (based on the history) security of Apple's way versus Google's way. Don't get me wrong, I really like Android for what it is - I just don't think the car is a good environment for something that is more 'hacker friendly'.

Umm.. Android is hardly a walled garden (and that's it's primary problem - malware in the Google Play store because it hasn't been thoroughly checked).

When it comes to connectivity on the road, I far prefer the more robust (based on the history) security of Apple's way versus Google's way. Don't get me wrong, I really like Android for what it is - I just don't think the car is a good environment for something that is more 'hacker friendly'.

Disagree that Apple garden approach is superior. Less transparency, competition, etc. Apple isn't immune from security issues (based on the history). EM would disagree that walled garden advantages outweigh disadvantages versus open source.

Separately is if you're a Google fan or Apple fanboi. Full disclosure...not employee of either. Im certain we are likely to have employees of either company chime in who would have a certain bias.

Can anyone parse this a little more? Does this mean that 10% of the battery content is Cobalt, and that all of the Cobalt is sourced from Canada? Or does it mean that 90% of the Cobalt used in the batteries comes from sources other than Canada?

Hi Stoebs!
Sorry for the lack of clarity. I translated this section in whole for you.

Reporter: In a future where batteries are mainly used for storing energy, doesn't this produce new environmental issues? The mining of metals contained within batteries engulfs huge amounts of resources, some originate from politically unstable countries like the Democratic Republic of the Congo, where they are mined under barbarous conditions.

EM: In our cars we do not use any rare earths originating doubtful countries. Our engine mainly consists of copper and steel. Our batteries only contain materials such as Synthesised Graphite and Nickel

Reporter: So there is no Cobalt being used inside the batteries?

EM: Yes, of course there is. About 10 percent. But it does not originate from the Congo. In our new Gigafactory we will use Cobalt from Canada.

Doing this translation I remembered how hostile the reporter was towards EM. Germany has some catching up to do, if not for technology definitely in their mindset.

im confident that germany will get to EV mania faster than some of us anticipate. Certainly compared to the Japanese companies' fools (cells), or the Detroit 3, at least VAG and BMW and Daimler are doing real things towards EV offerings. Not only that, Germany is the most renewable energy conscious of all countries.

....they just need to invest in battery factories, that's the big one. You can't just rely on Asian companies for that.

im confident that germany will get to EV mania faster than some of us anticipate. Certainly compared to the Japanese companies' fools (cells), or the Detroit 3, at least VAG and BMW and Daimler are doing real things towards EV offerings. Not only that, Germany is the most renewable energy conscious of all countries.

....they just need to invest in battery factories, that's the big one. You can't just rely on Asian companies for that.

Agree and it will be a very good thing in moving the world toward EM's goal of sustainable transportation and stimulating other manufacturers to accelerate development of EVs. The sooner the better.

As for fool cells, let's hope they die a well-deserved death.