Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery and service nightmare

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have you spoken with the most senior manager at the SC? You'll probably have to work to get that far up the admin chain, but seriously, your car is a disaster that should be bought back, regardless of Tesla "policy."
After many trips to various sc I finally got to a senior manager. They are ordering a new bumper because the paint is so bad. The car is also getting a new windshield and a new headlight. He said he will personally take the car to the body shop for paint correction and get it detailed after. I told him they need to clean it before they paint correct it. My expectations are quite low now. I am utterly dumbfounded by the fact they had the car for over a week and performed “paint correction” and “buffed the entire car” without cleaning it. It had the same filth on it from the day I regretfully picked it up.

Reactions: jsight
I cannot understand why you took delivery. I can tell you that most likely they won’t repaint your car. They ll detail it, but that just means stripping off a layer of your clear coat.

Hope you get your fix. Not trying to be mean but you should have never picked up that car. No words

Update! I just got my car back from Tesla. On this service visit they had it for three weeks. Again it was covered in dust hiding the issues. It was suppose to be detailed. The car is still covered in pits and deep scratches (by deep I mean the finger nail test) there is dried compound specs and marks all over the car.

They told me prior to this service visit they would put a new bumper on. As I previously mentioned I took it to an autobody shop after Tesla’s first failed attempt at paint correction. I wanted the auto body shop to give me a paint correction estimate so I could have them paint it and invoice Tesla. The owner told me he wouldn’t give me an estimate because the paint was so bad that It would need a total paint job. He said the car needs to be returned. He told me if they try to spot correct the bumper it will only start to peel again. The manger at Tesla said he agreed the bumper shouldn’t be spot corrected and he would replace it. (I attached a photo of the original bumper peeling here)

During the service visit the assistant manager called me to update me and told me he put the new bumper on, the new windshield on and the car was on its way to their autobody shop for paint correction.

When I got the car back I noticed they painted over the peeling bumper paint and there were scratches all over the bumper as well as the rest of the car. I went into the service invoices and saw the windshield replacement but nothing for bumper replacement. I sent a message in the app saying I got a call telling me the bumper replacement was complete and want the documentation of it. This was the response “hello, the front bumper was not replaced as my body shop was able to Rectify the paint defects on the bumper”.

I attached photos of some of the paint correction they did. The match and orange peel is horrible. Tomorrow I’ll share some photos of the many deep scratches and pits still present.

At this point I’m going to start the buy back request process. They had the car in their service for over 30days and are incapable of rectifying the issue.

Attachments

• D01C9B93-7FD3-487B-B9DF-163FBDB8B111.jpeg
    D01C9B93-7FD3-487B-B9DF-163FBDB8B111.jpeg
    234 KB · Views: 183
  • E9A1290B-46F4-4AC5-BF91-20FA03228D86.jpeg
    E9A1290B-46F4-4AC5-BF91-20FA03228D86.jpeg
    260.6 KB · Views: 128
  • 05BC3846-4FF9-4B17-A419-DA0693952DE0.jpeg
    05BC3846-4FF9-4B17-A419-DA0693952DE0.jpeg
    877.6 KB · Views: 138
  • 53350551-4BD5-4396-BF19-74CC5AD57FAC.jpeg
    53350551-4BD5-4396-BF19-74CC5AD57FAC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 143
  • 4BF5B7C0-4FB2-40B9-97EA-77D17DD3A0D4.jpeg
    4BF5B7C0-4FB2-40B9-97EA-77D17DD3A0D4.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 147
  • 7F45688E-7668-40E9-86B7-41E2CC1D3971.jpeg
    7F45688E-7668-40E9-86B7-41E2CC1D3971.jpeg
    968.4 KB · Views: 135
  • DD680392-7065-4E79-8A9E-5EBEEF653690.jpeg
    DD680392-7065-4E79-8A9E-5EBEEF653690.jpeg
    725.3 KB · Views: 131
  • C8B7B148-01F0-4A83-B423-E7D69204DD7F.jpeg
    C8B7B148-01F0-4A83-B423-E7D69204DD7F.jpeg
    678 KB · Views: 140
All cars collect scratches and dark (especially black) show them the worst. Having said that, this is beyond normal microabrasions from normal washing and wear. This is worse than what I'd expect after years of careful care. Like you, I've owned black cars for a while and know the common issues. This is so much worse.

Some of the pictures show signs of someone attempting a repair without fully knowing what they are doing. It really does warrant a full respray in places, IMO.

I think you aren't wrong to pursue a buy back. Getting a full estimate for a proper repair might be a good way to start making the case for that.

I'm sorry this happened to you. I hope you are able to get a successful resolution.
Not just from OP's pics but from other folks who have had similar experience with exterior damage especially the paint swirls and stuff, there's no way they just happen like that from "regular" transportation. They all look as if someone ripped a fresh papertowel and put some water on it to make the car look "cleaner." The condition of the paint all look like they were used cars that went through at least 1 season of winter and a few car washes with brushes...

Not just from OP's pics but from other folks who have had similar experience with exterior damage especially the paint swirls and stuff, there's no way they just happen like that from "regular" transportation. They all look as if someone ripped a fresh papertowel and put some water on it to make the car look "cleaner." The condition of the paint all look like they were used cars that went through at least 1 season of winter and a few car washes with brushes...
It’s worse than that. There are cracks in the paint all over from rocks hitting it. The windshield was cracked by a rock had to be replaced. The gasket is now sticking out of the new windshield. In the most recent pictures I posted it might be hard to see in a photo but there is texture you can literally feel with your finger on the areas where they spot corrected the paint. And beyond the swirls and hairline scratches all over the entire vehicle there are still several scratches on every panel that are beyond the paint failing the finger nail test. I think you are right the my batch had issues. At sc there were several other black model y’s there for “paint correction”.

Got a call from Tesla Advisor the night before the delivery date saying that there is a scratch at the bumper and I have 2 options: 1. wait until they fix it. They don't offer a rental car if I choose this option. 2. Accept the delivery for now and schedule a service appt later but their service department is pretty backed up at this time. During the service days, they offer rental car.

I have paid in full, and I even paid a 6 month insurance premium for it. Do you guys have any suggestions? I go to Jacksonville, FL to pick it up.
Can I get some discount or anything for it?

I would A not accept the vehicle or B get them to agree in writing to pay for the paint correction at a body shop of your choosing. Their service center are horrible. I paid in full too. I have been through hell dealing with them. They added more scratches to the car and ruined my paint. They used so much compound there are burnt paint spots all over the vehicle. They finally offered me a full refund on the car because they couldn’t deny how bad they messed up. They will give you your money back if you don’t accept but it will take awhile. You will not get any discount or any compensation for accepting the vehicle.

in 2019 i picked up my "X' and noticed some very minor issues..that a cloth or a jiggle corrected..my son this yr had no issues when he got his "Y'but having had 40+ yrs of driving very high end vehicles & sports cars..i will tell you..while Tesla bills themselves as high end ( car writers do also, incorrectly IMO)..it is ONLT b/c of the price they fall into that category! its been a great innovation, the software is sublime, but the car is avg...Don't be expecting MB..its not there..!! approach it as such

How did the buyback process go for you? How long after you surrendered the vehicle did you receive your refund?

Tesla has offered me a full refund to buyback my vehicle. I paid cash in full for the car. They said I have to surrender the vehicle and then they will send me a check in the mail for the full purchase amount. I have to do a separate purchase transaction for a new car.

I purchased a brand new model y that had severe issues, mostly cosmetic. The service center was incapable of fixing them. They actually made the issues much worse and blatantly lied to me about replacing the bumper when they did not. I have very little trust in them now. I am concerned I will be going a long time without a vehicle and the refund money.

Reactions: Chewy13
Does anybody have experience with a Tesla re-purchase? Tesla has offered to refund my car the full amount due to severe paint defects that they made worse while trying to correct. There are scratches and chips in the paint all over the car. They want me to sign paper work that states “Although Tesla has determined that the Vehicle contains no defect, non-conformity or other warrantable condition, or any other basis for Tesla’s liability, as a gesture of goodwill to you as a valued Tesla customer, pursuant to the terms of this letter, Tesla agrees to repurchase the Vehicle from you for a total amount of xxxxxx provided the Vehicle is returned to Tesla without damage, excluding normal wear and tear.” This is untrue and concerning to me. Has anyone else had a re-purchase with the same riding in the contract? They have lied about repairs and been pretty much impossible to contact throughout the whole ordeal. They want me to surrender the vehicle and then wait for weeks for the check to come in the mail. I paid in full so that would be four weeks without a car and the 60 K plus cash I paid for the car.

Seems to be a good ending story, you get a brand new car, but the reimbursement situation
is certainly a little bit annoying if you don't have the cash available in a saving account.

I wonder if a payback would have been possible
for getting a new car like 'Out of Spec Dave' explains in this video:
(You can jump directly to the 11:00 time to get the detail of it)

Last edited:
Does anybody have experience with a Tesla re-purchase? Tesla has offered to refund my car the full amount due to severe paint defects that they made worse while trying to correct. There are scratches and chips in the paint all over the car. They want me to sign paper work that states “Although Tesla has determined that the Vehicle contains no defect, non-conformity or other warrantable condition, or any other basis for Tesla’s liability, as a gesture of goodwill to you as a valued Tesla customer, pursuant to the terms of this letter, Tesla agrees to repurchase the Vehicle from you for a total amount of xxxxxx provided the Vehicle is returned to Tesla without damage, excluding normal wear and tear.” This is untrue and concerning to me. Has anyone else had a re-purchase with the same riding in the contract? They have lied about repairs and been pretty much impossible to contact throughout the whole ordeal. They want me to surrender the vehicle and then wait for weeks for the check to come in the mail. I paid in full so that would be four weeks without a car and the 60 K plus cash I paid for the car.
Can I ask who did you work with to get them to agree. I ask because going through a similar situation and I regulated they buy mines back also due to amount of body work needed to repair some paint damage prior to delivery.

Tried to PM you but don’t have enough post

Can I ask who did you work with to get them to agree. I ask because going through a similar situation and I regulated they buy mines back also due to amount of body work needed to repair some paint damage prior to delivery.

Tried to PM you but don’t have enough post
I think you need to talk to a lawyer and let them know you are considering hiring one. I dont know what state you are in but my car would’ve qualified as a lemon here. In my state its just not safety concerns its something that significantly decreases the value of the car and has had at least three failed attempts to rectify or over 30 days in service. All the body shops I went to on my own said the paint was so bad I needed to return the car. They said It would need a complete repaint which shouldn’t happen to a new car and the only hope for the car was getting it wrapped. When I told the advisor I had spoken with a lawyer and was aware my car qualified as a lemon they rushed and put the buyback in. Not sure if this helped but I did the mail in opt out of arbitration that someone on the blog recommended to me.

I barely drove the car because I was trying to document all the concerns before 100 miles and two days into owning the car I had to get towed to the service center because the door handle got disconnected the first time I rolled down the window. My car had been in service multiple times totaling over 40 days majority of the time being failed paint corrections. They actually burnt the paint on the car in several places from using too much rubbing compound. They had to replace the windshield and then fix it because they did it wrong.

If your issues are not as severe as mine and you think the paint can be fixed I recommend going to body shops on your own and having Tesla pay them. They will give you a more honest opinion. The body shop told me the bumper needed to be replaced or completely re-painted because if it was spot corrected the paint would begin peeling again. Tesla told me they agreed, and the bumper needed to be replaced. Both the assistant manager and manager confirmed over the phone and in person that the bumper had been replaced. When I asked for the documentation of the bumper being replaced, they told me that they didn’t replace it because it was able to be spot corrected.

Reactions: ATPMSD
I think you need to talk to a lawyer and let them know you are considering hiring one. I dont know what state you are in but my car would’ve qualified as a lemon here. In my state its just not safety concerns its something that significantly decreases the value of the car and has had at least three failed attempts to rectify or over 30 days in service. All the body shops I went to on my own said the paint was so bad I needed to return the car. They said It would need a complete repaint which shouldn’t happen to a new car and the only hope for the car was getting it wrapped. When I told the advisor I had spoken with a lawyer and was aware my car qualified as a lemon they rushed and put the buyback in. Not sure if this helped but I did the mail in opt out of arbitration that someone on the blog recommended to me.

I barely drove the car because I was trying to document all the concerns before 100 miles and two days into owning the car I had to get towed to the service center because the door handle got disconnected the first time I rolled down the window. My car had been in service multiple times totaling over 40 days majority of the time being failed paint corrections. They actually burnt the paint on the car in several places from using too much rubbing compound. They had to replace the windshield and then fix it because they did it wrong.

If your issues are not as severe as mine and you think the paint can be fixed I recommend going to body shops on your own and having Tesla pay them. They will give you a more honest opinion. The body shop told me the bumper needed to be replaced or completely re-painted because if it was spot corrected the paint would begin peeling again. Tesla told me they agreed, and the bumper needed to be replaced. Both the assistant manager and manager confirmed over the phone and in person that the bumper had been replaced. When I asked for the documentation of the bumper being replaced, they told me that they didn’t replace it because it was able to be spot corrected.
Thanks appreciate the response. Glad it will work for you in the end.