Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model S and X to Gain Ambient Lighting and Front Bumper Camera

Interesting… but not holding my breath
IMG_0569.jpeg

Just curious: why the interest in RGB ambient lighting? I’ve had Mercedes and BMW cars with it before and apart from the first week of novelty I tend to just leave it on white. Is there something useful about picking other colors?

My main gripe right now is the MX ambient lighting isn’t adjustable in brightness and the stock level IMO is too dim.

If they add bumper camera , will it be used for FSD? Then will they retrofit older cars?
  1. There is no way there’s going to be a retrofit. A bumper cutout and wiring harness all the way to the AP computer is not something that can be done after final assembly.
  2. Bumper camera is likely not relevant for FSD, it’s relevant for parking. The current front cameras are like you sticking your head out the sunroof and looking ahead — it’s a nearly useless angle for seeing what’s in front of your car. That’s why the front direction of non-USS parking is complete garbage compared to the rear direction of non-USS park assist.
  3. But right now even the rear / side vision park assist are pretty crummy. Adding a camera won’t directly fix that.
  4. Front bumper cam gets really close to a 360 top down camera view that can be stitched together….

Just curious: why the interest in RGB ambient lighting? I’ve had Mercedes and BMW cars with it before and apart from the first week of novelty I tend to just leave it on white. Is there something useful about picking other colors?

My main gripe right now is the MX ambient lighting isn’t adjustable in brightness and the stock level IMO is too dim.
RGB ambient lighting, if done properly could be cool. One thought is imagine making a blind spot lane change and not noticing the car in that lane. Your door ambient lighting immediately starts flashing bright red.

Im sure there could be other applications for it. I for one would love RGB ambient, but I’m not holding my breath on it appearing on the X this year.

I guess the interest is because it's "new". My Q7 has ambient lighting and haven't felt the need to change it (don't even know if I can change it). But having the option would be nice I guess, but certainly not a deal breaker.

Last edited:
Chiming in here on my order.

MXP Ultra Red Ext, White Interior, Yoke Steering Wheel.
Boston, MA
Order Date: 9/7
EDD: November 3rd - December 15th
No VIN assignment yet..
Just got notification that my trade in expired on my MYP. Hopefully not getting screwed here by much.
New EDD: 11/9-12/14
No VIN assignment yet.
Went to the Prudential Tesla Show Room, and asked to see if they can see when the vehicle will arrive at the service center.
I saw a 11/18 estimated arrival.

Will keep folks updated.

Reactions: mojavedesert