Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Defrosting camera housing on windscreen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple of times I've noticed that the part of the windscreen on my Model Y that covers the cameras hasn't defrosted in the same way as the rest of the windscreen. Is this normal, or do I have some sort of fault around the camera housing? With the very cold overnight temperatures this week it's been quite noticeable, and I took this photo yesterday showing the windscreen fully defrosted in about 10 minutes of turning on the climate control, but the glass over the camera still having ice on it.

IMG_7801.jpeg

It does look a bit strange, but the space inside the camera unit won’t get any direct heat from the climate system which is why it has the heater elements that you can see.

The reason I say that it is strange is because often I see my windscreen in front of the cameras is the only part that is defrosted, usually when I’ve just been grabbing something from the car and opened one door or the boot maybe, which has activated that heater.

Might be worth dropping a service request in if you never see it defrosting.

Reactions: gsmith123
No, don’t think I’ve tried the Defrosy function, only turned on Climate (or set pre-conditioning). Is there a difference between the two functions?
There could be so it's worth testing to narrow it down. Apparently sentry mode activates that heater element so you could also test that.

You can probably test without frost, just feel if that bit of glass gets warm.

If it heats up then you could ask service whether it should be heating during climate because it could be a software bug.

Last edited:
Reactions: rob@rar
No, don’t think I’ve tried the Defrosy function, only turned on Climate (or set pre-conditioning). Is there a difference between the two functions?
Defrost specifically switches on the elements in the screens which normal climate switching doesn’t . Having said that I also notice some inconsistency in the camera screen heater area (since forever).

Reactions: rob@rar