Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Defrost without charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm on a time of use electric plan at home. My teslas are scheduled to finish charging by 5 am when super offpeak pricing ends. If i want to run the kids to school at 8 AM in the winter i want to defrost my car a few minutes before we leave, but when i do the car starts charging again. My electricity is expensive at 7:50 AM. Is there any way to defrost without drawing power from the grid without walking outside and unplugging?

I'm on a time of use electric plan at home. My teslas are scheduled to finish charging by 5 am when super offpeak pricing ends. If i want to run the kids to school at 8 AM in the winter i want to defrost my car a few minutes before we leave, but when i do the car starts charging again. My electricity is expensive at 7:50 AM. Is there any way to defrost without drawing power from the grid without walking outside and unplugging?
Not that I'm aware of.

Reactions: E90alex
I know people in Sweden using net service that limit charging to the off peak time.
This means that even connected, there is no electricity to draw from the wall connector oitside off peak / cheap electricity time (or equivalent ”chargers”, probably need a charger /commector that supports this principle).

I do not use that myself, I use a flat rate so I have no details that work outside Sweden or EU

This means that even connected, there is no electricity to draw from the wall connector oitside off peak / cheap electricity time (or equivalent ”chargers”, probably need a charger /commector that supports this principle).
Great suggestion! I had looked at all the settings for the cars but not for the charger. Let's see if this works!.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240205-190121.png
    Screenshot_20240205-190121.png
    575.3 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: AAKEE
Success! I was away on business so I couldn't test this until this morning. I defrosted my Tesla Model 3, while it was plugged in, without drawing any power from the grid. Thank you all for the suggestions.
I believe you can also set up the Wall Connector to not deliver any power unless it matches the VIN number(s) entered into the Wall Connector? Switching the VIN number back and forth would be more of a pain but it might be useful in some strange use-case.