Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deciding on air suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a very steep driveway, and thought I'd need it to avoid scraping. My owner advisor came out, with an S set to the coil-spring height (on the air suspension) and was able to drive up and down without issue. Not a scrape on it.

Dropped it from the design studio that night.

I agree with what others are saying about the steep driveway scenarios... one other thing i was told by my SC was that if i was going with 21's that I should get air suspension to take some of the edge off of the slightly rougher ride.. If I went with 19's then the air suspension would be less "necessary"....

One last point.. as a P85+ owner... Air suspension is part of the + "handling package" is that not an indicator that Tesla thinks air suspension and its adjustability is a handling benefit?

... i was told by my SC was that if i was going with 21's that I should get air suspension to take some of the edge off of the slightly rougher ride.. If I went with 19's then the air suspension would be less "necessary"....

One last point.. as a P85+ owner... Air suspension is part of the + "handling package" is that not an indicator that Tesla thinks air suspension and its adjustability is a handling benefit?

If Tesla sold the coil suspension for $2,500, I think its fair to say the OA's would be pushing that instead. They have been pretty aggressive about down-selling coil cars, and up-selling P85, P85D, and all Model X cars, for each of their roll-outs. Months passed before coil was available.

The air suspension levels the car in turns. That's not a handling benefit, beyond a flat riding car feeling "really cool". You aren't gaining any grip over the minimal amount of body roll that the low roll-center provides a coil suspension. You also get a worse sense of security, if you want to be in tune with the road, and instead have air creeping around the strut towers.