Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dealing with Curb Rash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tires barely have anything to do with curb rash protection. Plenty of Accords, Camrys, Civics, Altimas out there with curbed wheels and fat tires on them. Go walk down a busy city street and look at all the parked cars. Curb rash is the norm, there are less cars with perfect wheels than curbed wheels, I can guarantee you that.

Curb rash is caused by the driver, not the wheel or tire.
I appreciate you are the expert and I understand what you are saying. But I remain convinced that the combination of wheel and tire (Uberturbine/P Zero) leaves this wheel more vulnerable than any I've seen before. Even a light brush up against a very low kerb and it's all on the alloy. I'll suggest you look at the amount of discussion on this and other forum about this very subject. I never found any such chat about the 20 inch Audisport alloys and Continental tires on my Q3.

Reactions: elambo and VipinLJ
Tires barely have anything to do with curb rash protection. Plenty of Accords, Camrys, Civics, Altimas out there with curbed wheels and fat tires on them. Go walk down a busy city street and look at all the parked cars. Curb rash is the norm, there are less cars with perfect wheels than curbed wheels, I can guarantee you that.

Things are different in CA. It's rare to see a non-Tesla with curb rash.

zvkaaw1mmlv61.jpg

img_2343_283647e4c543040bae291110f091aaf5f0d1235c.jpg

20231120_122251-jpg.37646

attachment.php

curb-rash-on-bmw-x1-tire-rim-any-repair-advice-would-be-v0-uvsl4wmbwdt81.jpg

img_5097.jpg

r6gr2xkccvp71.jpg

img_0690-jpeg.270350

20220619_123846-jpg.4804

92ac6cb6-f272-483f-b554-c1104317ba62-jpeg.9130

Reactions: laservet
Curb rush is indeed a possibility with any car and any wheel/tire combination. But having owned all makes, models over my 40 years of driving (the last 4 being Audis with AudiSport alloys) I can assure you that none have felt as vulnerable as the Uberturbine. There is absolutely zero room for the most minor error.
With most cars if you brush very lightly against a low Curb the impact is taken by the rubber. it's not something I'm in the habit of doing but with narrow roads and even narrower parking in the UK it's pretty much inevitable.

With the Uberturbine/P-Zero combo if you so much as look at the curb that's it. Alloy is scraped.That's not even up for debate, it's a fact.

It will be the same for any wheel where the alloy sticks out beyond the rubber AND the tire is so low-profile as to make even a low curb a problem. That's why many manufactures (including my previous Audis) fit tires that give some degree of protection to the very expensive alloy wheel they sit on.

The pics included above show pretty heavy impacts and sustained contact. In most cases, the rubber has also taken a hit but all said and done if you go against an obstacle long enough and hard enough, the alloy is getting it. The Honda pictures are odd though in that wheels have taken a lot of damage yet the tires are untouched. I suspect the tires have been changed.

Bad drivers can FU anything, and do! YMMV! 🤙
Absolutely. But with the Uberturbine, even a good driver can FU.

Kudos to nate704 though for dedication to the cause. That's a lot of time on Google looking for scraped alloys :). I stand by my point though - this combination of wheel and tire is the most vulnerable I have ever experienced with zero consideration to real-life issues such as narrow streets, kerbs (curbs), potholes, etc. No margin for error at all. Frustratingly this is something that Tesla could 'fix' so easily too.

Reactions: DrDiesel1
Absolutely. But with the Uberturbine, even a good driver can FU.

Kudos to nate704 though for dedication to the cause. That's a lot of time on Google looking for scraped alloys :). I stand by my point though - this combination of wheel and tire is the most vulnerable I have ever experienced with zero consideration to real-life issues such as narrow streets, kerbs (curbs), potholes, etc. No margin for error at all. Frustratingly this is something that Tesla could 'fix' so easily too.
I purchased some LRR EV tuned tires of a larger size to try and help eliminate this issue.
I went with a 265/45/20 to see if it will reduce the possibility of a small error on my part, of FN up my wheels. 🤙

Reactions: MidBaz
I'm wondering how it's useful to post pics of other cars with rash. No one thinks any brand is immune, so the net will be crowded with such photos, but that doesn't bring relevance to the argument that these wheels are among the most likely hit a curb. It's a thinly-veiled Straw Man argument.

Let this person vent their very valid frustrations without (ineffectively) belittling them, and if being a useful forum member is important to you maybe exhibit some humanity and offer advice for avoiding rash.

I can't think of a forum anywhere on the net with such a high percentage of thin-skinned people, offended that anyone would ever refer to their auto as imperfect. Talk about a fear of damage. These posts are NOT aimed at your personal character -- get over it.

The tire/wheel combo has everything to do with it. Recess the wheel two inches inside the edge of the tire and see how often the rim is scratched. It never will. It's all about the wheel/tire. Obviously a car doesn't drive itself (well... these do) so it's ultimately the driver's actions which scratch the wheel, but this design absolutely leave the rims more vulnerable and therefore lift the chances of a curb contacting the wheel. Smart designs protect people from themselves.