Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DC metro area get together

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess you didn't hear about the indigenous disrespecting punk-assed mall maintenance individuals that crashed the evolutionhighway tour during the Woodbridge visit thus forcing a contentious and early termination of said event. I wonder if they will continue their picture taking ban. This site lived up to its reputation. I had serious reservations about this site selection when released. I will always by-pass this dump location on my future travels.

I did not hear about this. What happened?

I did not hear about this. What happened?
We had 6 or so Tesla's there to meet Leilani Munter on her evolutionhighway drive to Chicago on her way to an ARCA race. By the time she got to the Woodbridge SC, it was almost 9:30 at night. We had a blast meeting her and her crew. and as she was signing autographs and getting to know us, a work crew showed up to spray tar on the asphalt. We told them we would be gone by 10 pm, but the foreman was an ass and he directed his crew to start using gasoline blowers to clean off the asphalt right where we were. Fortunately (in my opinion), the Potomac Mills mall cops showed up and helped diffuse the situation and keep the asphalt crew at bay until we left. The mall cops did say no photography of the mall and were very sensitive about Ms. Munter's professional camera crew recording the events!

I would recommend we stay away from this location for a meetup, but if the organizers decide to press on, I recommend you speak with the Mall officials and let them know what is planned.

Btw, a nice benefit to holding a repeat event at TYC is that if we encounter in-climate weather, we can always move from the top deck of the parking garage to a lower level (with Mall Management's approval of course).

If we wanted to meet at the mall, I suggest we don't make the SC the meeting point, but instead we reserve a room at one of the mall restaurants. That way we are patrons, which is exactly what the property owner had in mind when they signed the lease with Tesla.

Good idea. I agree with Tyson's for our meeting location. Woodbridge is a good charging stop but is not the best area. A large gathering of unattended Tesla vehicles...

Also, traffic on I-95 can be atrocious on weekends. Tyson's is a more accessible location for most of us.

Last of all, there is a better selection of food at Tyson's. :)

If we wanted to meet at the mall, I suggest we don't make the SC the meeting point, but instead we reserve a room at one of the mall restaurants. That way we are patrons, which is exactly what the property owner had in mind when they signed the lease with Tesla.

Agreed. I actually once got rousted by mall security at Tyson's during an impromptu BMW club meet, so I don't think we could count on hanging out in the parking lot, anyway.

I'm in whether it is at Tyson's, Bethesda or Woodbridge. It is frustrating to hear that the crew at Potomac Mills was so rude. I actually had a nice experience with mall security at Hagerstown outlets supercharger. There the security guard on duty said he regularly makes ICE vehicles move their cars from the supercharger parking spots and informs them he will call the cops if they don't move.

I'm in whether it is at Tyson's, Bethesda or Woodbridge. It is frustrating to hear that the crew at Potomac Mills was so rude. I actually had a nice experience with mall security at Hagerstown outlets supercharger. There the security guard on duty said he regularly makes ICE vehicles move their cars from the supercharger parking spots and informs them he will call the cops if they don't move.
Ven: That was a combination of unusual circumstances, where we had a work crew who was authorized to work and we were holding them up. The mall security folks were super helpful in defusing the situation between the work crews and us.

The Potomac Mills security folks are actually very nice on an individual basis - I've had conversations with several of them. But they're quite vigilant and uncompromising with groups, and given some of the behavior I've seen within eyeshot of the SC, there's a reason for that. Oh well.

A suggestion for you - the Sunday Cars & Coffee at Kohl's at Fair Lakes is a pretty big weekly event, and they often have Mopar or Ferrari or Lotus clubs attend. There is plenty of room at 0830 when the event starts, and there is a growing number of people attending the event who would love to see a bunch of Teslas. We can contact the event organizer to let them know we are coming, and we can park in the yellow filled-in area of the attached picture (sorry - my graphic skills are non-existent). The main Cars & Coffee event is held in the yellow outlined area.
Cars & Coffee at Fair Lakes.JPG

Just my opinion, but I'm actually against Cars & Coffee, no offense, Jim. I'd like to get together with some old and new owners/friends and share news/stories/mods, rather than be preoccupied with showing our cars off to others. Unless we're giving test drives, there's nothing new to see at this juncture. Some of those other car guys might even be put-off by the meet as I'm sure there will be about 40-50 Teslas this time around (last year we had 34ish). But, maybe I'm being too anal.

It would be great to take a nice drive with everyone and finish off with a lunch in a nice location. Middleburg?

I think the Cars & Coffee would be a great venue. If there are truly 40+ cars coming, then those that don't want to talk to newbies really won't have to do so... there are plenty of other people to talk to the newbies. That's very much unlike when there are 2 or 3 Telsa's.

Having 40+ show up at a Cars & Coffee certainly will also make a big impression on non-Tesla owners, hopefully a positive one.

I think the Cars & Coffee would be a great venue. If there are truly 40+ cars coming, then those that don't want to talk to newbies really won't have to do so... there are plenty of other people to talk to the newbies. That's very much unlike when there are 2 or 3 Telsa's.

Having 40+ show up at a Cars & Coffee certainly will also make a big impression on non-Tesla owners, hopefully a positive one.

And they aren't mutually exclusive--since C&C is in the morning, those who wanted to bail and do a Tesla only drive and lunch could do so after, no?

Whatever you decide, count me in!

Further clarification about the no-photography piece at Woodbridge: They still allowed pictures, they where just turned off by the film crew (I mean they had a pretty serious camera and a boom mic)... and specifically didn't want pictures of their buildings.

Anyway, Look forward to the meet up!