Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Data from Run On Less event

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was something I've seen discussed here before, and it's good to see some more actual data coming in on it. A naysayer on this forum was saying that almost all companies just install a diesel fueling depot on their site if they have more than a few trucks so they don't have this wasted time. Maybe that's not as common as was claimed:

"3) Regarding on-site diesel fuel, I actually owned a trucking company at 2 points in my life and it's actually super easy to get onsite fuel in most places (I've done it) and is very common for fleets over just a few units. I'm certain it's easier than getting approval for some mega-charging station. It's just not as cost effective to have driver's filling up on the road as they waste time, lose receipts, etc. Also can have a non-CDL driver fuel them up and not burn driver hours. At the most adding on-site fueling would not be any harder than building and permitting a gas station, and those happen all of the time. Mega-Charging stations cost millions to permit, install and manage. When I had an approved diesel tank it was free (the fuel provider lent it to me in exchange for buying his fuel) and I just had to send a picture to the County showing it had a barrier around it (literally just 2" x 8" boards in a rectangle with the tank sitting on lumber plastic) and it wasn't near a creek or anything. I'm certain it's harder in CA, and I'm also certain that nearly every local fleet with more than 10 trucks has one in CA. It's not hard. To be clear this person didn't build any cost at all in to the building or maintenance of the mega-charging stations, knowing full well that they are extraordinarily expensive. I actually have a friend that had a custom fueling station with cards for the drivers and what not built at his yard and the entire thing cost him about $20K and he told me that he calls around to buy fuel, tells them he pays cash upon delivery, and they take off nearly $1/ gallon."

It's not that easy anymore. One of the local FDs in our county was looking to get diesel storage at the FD and with the permitting and containment requirements they gave up.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H