Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Data from Run On Less event

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MP3Mike

Feb 1, 2016
Oregon
You want data on electric Semis? Run On Less has it, lots of it, and not just for the Tesla Semi: https://results-2023.runonless.com/truck/?day=1&depot=pepsico&truck=pepsi_tesla3&units=imperial

For day 1 there were 13,817 miles driven across all 22 tracked vehicles. (The three Tesla Semis accounted for ~10% of those miles.)

Truck 1: Starting at ~95%, 415 miles, quick mid day charge from ~17% to ~34%, ending the day at ~16%. (So ~96% to travel 415 miles.) End of day charge from ~16% to ~95% in about 1 hour 43 minutes. (~16% to ~80% in about 53 minutes.)

1694471263080.png

Truck 2: Starting at ~95%, 375 miles, quick mid day charge from ~21% to ~32%, ending the day at ~15%. (So ~91% to travel 375 miles.)

1694471297947.png

Truck 3: Starting at ~95%, 545 miles, mid day charge from ~2% to ~55%, ending the day at ~15%. (So ~133% to travel 545 miles.)
1694471219326.png

It would have been nice if they included estimated cargo weight in the data.

Last edited:
Would like to have a ranking/sortable list for all the trucks with miles driven/energy per mile/weight etc... I guess they only do per depot data so some of the trucks don´t look so bad ;). Is there even any way to select different truck makes directly or do you always have to via the depots?

Reactions: winfield100
Thanks @MP3Mike ...

So, given these are 500-mile range units, these would not seem to be capable of that. Given that Tesla was able to demonstrate 500 mile range in their test, any thoughts as to the factors affecting it here?
We don't know net altitude change.
Was 500 miles speced at 65MPH? That's 17% more aero drag than 60, guesstimating 8% worse overall Wh/mile.
What is rolling resistance of trailers?
Idle time uses battery also, Tesla was pretty much non-stop

The specs on the page doesn't specify speed:

1694533226464.png

It does qualify it as fully loaded at 82K lbs, however. I wonder if a full trailer load of soda reaches that weight.

Also would be interested in knowing driving conditions, as wind is definitely a factor...

Are they going to perform these tests in different markets with various loads in different states in different weather conditions?
These aren't really tests. This is just some companies participating in an event where they report the data for their actual usage of the vehicles. So the loads and weather will vary depending on their shipments over the next 16 days.

Here's some calculations trying to figure out the Semi battery capacity from the charging speed.

The state of charge is reported minute by minute. The highest increase during charging I found was 1.635% in a minute at around 7% SoC (Day 2, Truck 1). During the following minutes the increases were 1.62%, 1.61%, 1.605%, 1.6%, 1.595%, etc. So the charging speed goes down gradually as SoC goes up and there doesn't appear to be a lot of random variation.

The top charging speed of 1.635% per minute corresponds to 98% per hour. Pepsico reports that their chargers are 750 kW. We don't know if that 750 kW was actually achieved but if it was, it would correspond to about 765 kWh of usable capacity. If the top charging speed was less than 750 kWh, the battery would be even smaller.

Assuming 765 kWh capacity, the consumption seems to be about 1.75 kWh/mile when driving 62 mph.

So, given these are 500-mile range units, these would not seem to be capable of that. Given that Tesla was able to demonstrate 500 mile range in their test, any thoughts as to the factors affecting it here?
Pay attention to what model is being tested here. All of the hoopla and media articles and buzz is about the 500 mile version, so that's all anyone talks about, and people tend to forget that there is also the 350 mile smaller battery version. I did see that this shorter range version was also being tested in this specific event, so that might be some of this data.

I did see that this shorter range version was also being tested in this specific event, so that might be some of this data.
Where are you seeing this? The Pepsi profile page only lists the 500 mile version being included in this test: Run On Less: PepsiCo (And no other company is using Tesla Semis in this event.)

1694616815557.png

I don't think Tesla has even made any of the 350 mile range variant. (Not that you can probably even tell the difference from looking at them.) There are at least three different variants of the Semi with different fairings for aero purposes to match to different trailers/loads.

Pay attention to what model is being tested here. All of the hoopla and media articles and buzz is about the 500 mile version, so that's all anyone talks about, and people tend to forget that there is also the 350 mile smaller battery version. I did see that this shorter range version was also being tested in this specific event, so that might be some of this data.
Hmm, do you have a pointer to that?

I looked back at some of the articles about the initial Semi's delivered to Pepsi, and all I saw were references to the 500 mile range models.

I tend to believe 91-133% SoC to travel 375-545 miles is much more realistic for the 500 mile truck than the 350 mile flavor. While I hope Tesla was sandbagging somewhat, I doubt it was that much...

Reactions: petit_bateau