Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dashcam power help needed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am humbly reaching out to those in the community with more electrical knowledge than me.

I’m having a problem with my dash cam charging set-up. I installed a Blackvue DR650S-2CH on my model X using a spliced female cigarette adapter to memory saver/OBD port and have been using this successfully for months. There is also a little light on this connection letting me know there is power.

I attempted the same set-up for the wife’s model S, but found no power from the OBD. No problem with the dashcam when plugged into the 12V outlet.

1. I figured it was a problem with my spliced connection. I re-spliced, no joy.
2. Also wanted to check if the OBD port was bad on the model S, so I transferred the X connector to the S, Dashcam still not powering up, but the light on the connector still lit up.
3. Is it a faulty memory saver? I tried the S spliced-memory saver on the X and now the X dash cam did not power up. So, I switched back to my original connector and the light works, but my dash cam still does not work (on the X).
4. Maybe I blew the fuse to the OBD ports, but no TPMS warnings. Changed the 5 amp fuse to the OBD port and still no change.

Any thoughts, because I’m going crazy!?!

I have the dashcam on my Model S connected to the fake ODB port in the driver side footwell, so, in theory it should work for you. I would use a multi-meter to check voltage on the port to see if it is working properly:

obdii_port1070929671.jpg

IIRC, you want to check pin 4 and 16. If that is working, remove all the splices off the wires coming out of the memory saver's ODB plug, plug it into the Tesla and check the voltage coming off those wires. If that is good, then you'll have to check the quality of your slices from the ODB connector to the plug for your camera. Not sure what the camera-end connector looks like, but try to check end-to-end continuity of the the positive and ground paths before you try re-installing.

Hope that helps.

• Informative
Reactions: boelkers
I have the dashcam on my Model S connected to the fake ODB port in the driver side footwell, so, in theory it should work for you. I would use a multi-meter to check voltage on the port to see if it is working properly:

View attachment 248192

IIRC, you want to check pin 4 and 16. If that is working, remove all the splices off the wires coming out of the memory saver's ODB plug, plug it into the Tesla and check the voltage coming off those wires. If that is good, then you'll have to check the quality of your slices from the ODB connector to the plug for your camera. Not sure what the camera-end connector looks like, but try to check end-to-end continuity of the the positive and ground paths before you try re-installing.

Hope that helps.

Thanks! I'll give that a try.

OK, update on my situation. I checked the OBD2 and it was putting out 12V (amps?, I always get these confused). I connected the memory saver and noticed the output was 5V. The other two memory savers I tried had minimal output. So, I bought this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C2M2ZZG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
spliced to this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTONAAD/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
using these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0755MMG6D/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

...and it works perfectly!!!

So, bottom line, make sure the OBD2 adapter puts out 12V and does not convert to 5V.