Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OBD bluetooth adapter fails to connect to ECU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought an OBD harness which goes under the rear air vents. I installed it and connected an OBD bluetooth adapter to it. The adapter powers up and seems to be running correctly.

I can see the OBD bluetooth device on my phone and can pair with it. But the problem is that when I run ScanMyTesla or any other OBD scanning programs (e.g. Torque), it can't read any data from the car. Torque reports that it is successfully connected to the OBD adapter but is unable to communicate with the ECU.

I thought that my bluetooth adapter was faulty so I bought a different one (a different model altogether). Exact same problem with the new one.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem might be?

There are multiple things that can be exposed in an "OBD2" port traditionally. On a Tesla you only get a CAN bus. You should make sure that whatever adapter you use supports exposing a CAN bus (I don't remember which one it is). You don't "connect to the ECU", you listen to message that pass on that bus.
What Is the OBD-II Port and What Is It Used For? ... you only have CAN in your car.

I used this one in my car. Not cheap but it's fast too. Cheap OBD2 adapters, when they work, are very slow so ScanMyTesla and other apps have a hard time keeping their displays up to date.

Now I don't use it anymore because I bought the S3XY buttons which come with an adapter/controller that plugs in that place and also provides data in its app and also somewhat supports ScanMyTesla

I bought the exact same model and am still having the same issue that the cheap eBay ones had.

This is what it looks like in Torque. It's connected to the adapter but isn't seeing any data from the car. What am I missing here? Clearly the adapter is receiving power from the car.

Screenshot_20231128-124818.png

An OBD port can expose multiple types of connections but the Tesla only has the CANbus one. If your application cannot work with CAN, it just won't work and it wouldn't be a wiring issue. I'm not sure Torque works on CAN but it does work on ICE cars just fine (using another connection type), I've used it before. Thus my suggestion to use an app that we know works on the CANbus on a Tesla: ScanMyTesla.

I'm not sure Torque works well in a Tesla. Have you tried ScanMyTesla?
I did try ScanMyTesla with the cheap eBay OBD2 adapter. I then got a refund for the app because I couldn't get it to work. I haven't tried it with the OBDLink adapter (don't think I'll be able to get a second refund and don't really want to buy it when there's a good chance it won't work)

My first thought is you've got an improperly wired harness (or bad crimps/connections). Where'd you get the harness from?
I suspected it could be that too. I got the harness off eBay. It's been plugged in for over a month and hasn't seemed to affect anything, other than the OBD2 adapter not working.

I did try ScanMyTesla with the cheap eBay OBD2 adapter. I then got a refund for the app because I couldn't get it to work. I haven't tried it with the OBDLink adapter (don't think I'll be able to get a second refund and don't really want to buy it when there's a good chance it won't work)

I suspected it could be that too. I got the harness off eBay. It's been plugged in for over a month and hasn't seemed to affect anything, other than the OBD2 adapter not working.

Given that you just reported a bunch of error messages on your car, the very first thing I would do would be to remove anything that connects to stuff I installed (like this ODB harness) before you send it to Tesla.

I have zero idea if its related, but you dont want Tesla to tell you it is, either.

Reactions: sjkjs
Given that you just reported a bunch of error messages on your car, the very first thing I would do would be to remove anything that connects to stuff I installed (like this ODB harness) before you send it to Tesla.

I have zero idea if its related, but you dont want Tesla to tell you it is, either.
Yep, agree. They've got the car now but I did do that first. Thanks for the tip.

Reactions: jjrandorin