Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Dan Neil: Tesla S: a model citizen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many times do you have to bash Elon in the same thread? It's getting old. It'd be nice if you kept it all in a seperate Elon bashing thread so I don't have to read it. ;)

To be fair, his post is completely on-topic of the discussion at hand. If that's what's being discussed, and you choose to read it....

What is the benefit of claiming a 45 minute recharge if it requires equipment that is not readily available.

I'm sure the equipment is as readily available as the car is - in other words there is probably a working prototype at Tesla.

Come on. It's a high power charger. Sure they need to make sure the batteries will charge safely and to optimise the charging algorithms, but the charger is not bleeding edge technology.

This "equipment that is not readily available" line is just some editor at the LA Times trying to save a bit of face.

I'm not exactly sure what they mean by "not readily available" because "the equipment" would be easy enough to build. The issue is that AC to 440 VDC converter is not on board the vehicle and would have to be part of the (relatively) fast charging station. I think that's the source of the understanding.

This basic electricity stuff is poorly understood by these car buffs. You can tell by the langueage they use. They're learning, though.

I do still believe that Elon can not be trusted as far as I can throw him - and he is a big guy :)

I would be interested in knowing why this is the case. He's one of the sharpest entrepreneurs that I have seen. All of his companies have been successful, even though some have taken on intractable problems. He has delivered on his promises, more or less.

I really don't mean to berate him so much. I think that he is well intentioned. I think he may have a vision that might be greater than any of us can see. I think he has a lot of good things going for him. But as far as sales and marketing are concerned and how he presents things to the public he is seriously lacking. Gives a very bad impression of him and the company. He presents opinions and goals as fact most of the time and I think that is very misleading especially to those that are not familiar with his ways. There are many things that he does well but the things that he has problems with he should be smart enough to put his ego aside a bit and hire someone that can do it right.