Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damming Tesla AP Video, WSJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

kpanda17

Oct 17, 2022
USA
WSJ posted a video today of a Model X running AP and crashing into an emergency vehicle blocking the road. I don’t see WSJ has a paywall in front:

Crazy, unsure if our latest codes have this fixed for they state still in 2022 the cameras don’t recognize emergency vehicles due to the flashing lights.
Praying with the latest codes the answer yes.

Let’s chat about this code flaw.

...Crazy, unsure if our latest codes have this fixed for they state still in 2022 the cameras don’t recognize emergency vehicles due to the flashing lights.
Praying with the latest codes the answer yes...

It said the previous algorithm was trained to recognize regular vehicles but not those with flashing lights, such as emergency vehicles.

That's similar to the 2016 fatal accident. The algorithm was trained to recognize the back of a vehicle but not the side of the gigantic tractor-trailer semi truck.

That means the car can only brake with whatever it's programmed to do despite the claim of machine learning and AI...

Other Autonomous Vehicles seem to achieve the generic recognition of obstacles even with those they never see nor recognize. At worst, they freeze up in the middle of the road until a technician or a tow truck takes them away.

Reactions: dhrivnak
True, but I think Tesla screwed up as well. The product is far from "autopilot" and running into vehicles should not be allowed. Tesla has known about emergency vehicles for several years now.
Autopilot means you need to be aware and watch. Aircraft autopilot doesn't mean the aircraft doesn't need a pilot so I think the name is fine. Plus, anyone that's driven on AP (or FSDb) learns the limits fairly quickly - it's not that hard to understand what it can and can't do.

The footage is also about 2 years old so who knows if it's fixed or not. All that said, I agree that AP/FSD still has a long way to go.

Autopilot means you need to be aware and watch. Aircraft autopilot doesn't mean the aircraft doesn't need a pilot so I think the name is fine. Plus, anyone that's driven on AP (or FSDb) learns the limits fairly quickly - it's not that hard to understand what it can and can't do.

The footage is also about 2 years old so who knows if it's fixed or not. All that said, I agree that AP/FSD still has a long way to go.
Agreed. AP is like Cruise Control...it's not intended to completely drive for people.

Still bad and agreed about having a long way to go.

Reactions: unhyphy
How old is Tesla FSD tech?
By now it should be able to ID 95% of stuff in front of it and emergency vehicles, any vehicle,
should have been IDed, programmed in a while ago
Anything in front, skip ID, should cause rhe vehicle to slow and stop
If not, FSD is nothing better than 90 year old grand ma walking into stuff

What was the point of posting that video? It doesn’t show a Tesla performing a test with an emergency vehicle. Just trying to get more views for it?
Elon Musk said Tesla has progressed so much better that it would be Level 4 or 5 this year, 2023 or 4 more months left.

The point of the test video is whether it's a flashing obstacle or just a plain non-flashing obstacle, Tesla's technology is still colliding with it after four years from the WSJ's video.

• Disagree
Reactions: WyoDude and DanCar
People are reminded to pay attention every time autopilot/FSD is turned on. Every….single…..time.

This is simply the drivers fault and a cash grab by the lawsuit.
Yes. This is the driver's fault, thanks to the indoctrination that Robotaxi is near “full autonomy by the end of the year”. Even now, for this year, in 2023.

Indeed, a human driver is still as bad as in the old days, but how do you square that Tesla implies that its technology is not as bad as in the old days as it will not need any humans at all this year, in 2023?

Reactions: DanCar