Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Damaged Charging Cable at Hotel - safe to use? pic inside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_6968.jpeg

Staying at a Hotel. This was the only parking spot left open where I could plug in to charge overnight.

Is this cable safe to use / touch?

Any risk of electrical shock etc by accidentally touching the exposed insulation ?

I needed the charge overnight, been a long day, so I just plugged it in without touching the exposed area of the cable.

Already notified front desk. Staying here few more nights - so, will avoid using if it’s dangerous

View attachment 947173

Staying at a Hotel. This was the only parking spot left open where I could plug in to charge overnight.

Is this cable safe to use / touch?

Any risk of electrical shock etc by accidentally touching the exposed insulation ?

I needed the charge overnight, been a long day, so I just plugged it in without touching the exposed area of the cable.

Already notified front desk. Staying here few more nights - so, will avoid using if it’s dangerous
I don't know if it is dangerous or not. I would have to be desperate to use it.
However, since there is no current flowing when you plug it in it is likely safe because it takes a few seconds before charging starts.
There must be some kind of safety check before charging starts.
When unplugging you can stop the charging from the app or touch screen, so do this. Don't just grab and unplug.
I would notify Tesla, too

Reactions: byeLT4
Doesn't really bother me that much, I'm guessing maybe a ChargePoint pedestal. You may want to push the cable or at least the grommet into the handle.
The car will basically do most of the safety checks.

If, for some reason, it is raining or moist when you have to remove, stop charging from the app before touching the car, just to be extra safe.

I've got a relatively new one near me doing the same thing.