Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Daily commute is 10 miles - Should i charge daily ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks all. So from everybody's comment, i am more leaning towards keeping my battery level at 50% and charging it consistently (daily) to be at that level.

If you dont want to read the (probably 100s) of existing threads on this topic, a good one to review is this one on charging level at home:

Reactions: Ciaopec and WyoDude
I plug my Y in every night and charge to 90% with my Gen 3 HPWC

Attachments

• Tesla Garage Charger IMG_7806.JPG
    Tesla Garage Charger IMG_7806.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 64
What is depth of discharge?
Depth of discharge is the percentage of the battery charge that is used before recharging. 50% down to 40% would be a 10% depth of discharge. 10% equates to between 25 and 30 miles of typical driving in the Tesla Model Y. Most people commute/drive ~ 30 miles per day. You could complete your daily driving using 10% or so of the battery, maintain the battery at 45% average state of charge if you charge to 50% and use 10% most days. This level of minimal depth of discharge cannot be achieved when you take road trips in the Tesla Model Y. 80% down to perhaps 30% (or less) when taking longer trips and using the Supercharger network, i.e. 50% depth of discharge.

Last edited:
Reactions: E90alex
what's up everyone , I've had my MYLR since January this year I only charge at work and school cause its free. I drive about 88 miles a day round trip. I notice its about 70 miles each way I'm assuming cause I have heater and radio on and i coast about 80mph all the way to work and then back home later. can I charge it to 90% everyday since i use so much power everyday. I'm usually around 30% when I get to work that's after charging it to 80% about 9hr the day prior

what's up everyone , I've had my MYLR since January this year I only charge at work and school cause its free. I drive about 88 miles a day round trip. I notice its about 70 miles each way I'm assuming cause I have heater and radio on and i coast about 80mph all the way to work and then back home later. can I charge it to 90% everyday since i use so much power everyday. I'm usually around 30% when I get to work that's after charging it to 80% about 9hr the day prior
Yes to the heater (Climate Control heat pump uses power but much less than with resistive heating used in previous Tesla vehicles such as the original Model 3)
No to the radio (power used is not significant)
Big Yes to driving at 80 MPH
Enjoy!