Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cute video that a Tesla owner misses----ENGINE SOUNDS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would this even work on a Tesla? It reads the revs off the cigarette lighter, which it can do because the waveform from the alternator hasn't been fully filtered out. I don't think electric cars use alternators, and even if you could detect the revs off the the outlet, it wouldn't sound right, because there's no gear shifting, and the RPM won't be in the same range as an ICE.

The sounds simulates the manual transmission (the only type of car to drive before Tesla existed IMHO), but my question is, does it simulate someone shifting incorrectly and grinding the gears? That would be a laugh. And we could alternate slamming brakes and accelerator on Tesla to simulate beginner driver causing car to buck.

:wink:

XLR8 uses the iphone's sensors. I have my phone mounted on the dash with iOttie's Easy View Car Mount. Then I route audio through bluetooth and start the app. While stationary, I just press start and then drive away. It'll try and figure out how fast you're going and match what your selected ICE car would sound like... Pretty fun for a car nut like me. It does seem funnier to me than to my wife, friends, and co-workers though. ;)

Not happening here either. I'd sooner get at app that whinnies;-)

horse.jpg

;-)

<20% tank to wheel power (on the most efficent cars)
majority of output is heat, light and sound
not only is it wasteful to begin with, car manufactures waste EVEN MORE trying to reduce all the by-products

Since engines are so loud manufactures have to use catalytic converters, lots of piping, resonators, and mufflers to reduce the noise but results in the loss of even more engine power and added weight.

engines emit toxic crap as a by product so to reduce this, they need to use O2 sensors (2 or more of them) and catalytic converters (convert CO into CO2), but since cat's suck so bad as it is you need 2 of them in series robbing you of even more power.

as heat is a major product of any type of combustion, there is going to be tons of excess, so to prevent overheating cars need to use massive radiators and tons of fluid to cool off. but when installed your aero dynamics goes to **** since you are driving a brick wall around now, and the weight shoots up at least 100lbs-200lbs. all the while making you loose power since you have to pump that fluid around and overcome the drag.

now in order to burn gas you need O2 but since engines dont like to burn anything other than gas and air you have to filter the intake robbing you of power (airflow and volume)

burning any hydrocarbons to my knowledge has water as a by product, and by pushing water vapor through a bunch of steel it causes rust which in turn creates more maintenance and leaves crap all over the road

this is what i think about when i hear an Engine revving, what complete WASTE.
Gasoline is ridiculously power and energy dense to even make vehicles move forward even after all that loss, i think we could make use of gas in better ways but sadly this world is stupid and ran by greed.