Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Customized electronics installs in the Bay Area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dan from Walnut Creek did my dashcam install today. Very clean installation, also met Joe Torbati briefly.

Only issue I'm having is the reflection off of my dash is showing up in the front camera recordings so the video isn't very clear. Will try adjusting the camera to look higher and see if that helps.

I've been on the forums long enough to know who Joe Torbati is and yesterday met him in person for the first time while getting my dashcam installed.

Less than 24 hours later, I run into him again at the San Mateo Supercharger. He was with a client's car:

IMG_0122.jpg

Hey all. I have been using the dash cam extensively since I drove (yea) about 2,000 miles since. I'm on a road trip. :) I'll write it up afterwards. I even caught a T-bone accident on camera already in Victoria, BC, Canada. Gladly I was 2 cars behind that intersection, but in motion on a green light.

The Blackvue650 dash cam is working great overall. The reflection off the dash isn't so much the fault of the camera, but the glare coming off of our dash surface. I haven't seen a car in recent memory where the dash surface is so reflective and it causes a noticeable glare on the windshield. My driving solution to this is to get polarized sunglasses. It works. There is a thread on here for a group who intends to try and get a group buy for polarized dash cam lens filters. But for me, since I'm not looking to shoot the next award-winning film, the minimal glare is ok with me. It does capture all the details necessary for my purposes of documenting incidents, if any.

The NVH issue in the headliner is yet to be identified. I have some other things Tesla needs to take care of, so I will have them take a swing at it first. I do think it had to do with the wiring, but obviously I can't be sure without removing the trim and I lack the skills on how to do that. Should be an easy fix, like securing the wires by clips that are glued to the frame.

Tesla is usually good about these things right? Then again, this is an after-market install and they may take a hands-off approach. But then again still, the dash cam install may have nothing to do with this particular NVH issue. We'll see.

The last issue is that now my touch screen zonks out once in a while with an error message. It stops responding to any touch commands. This started right after I picked up the car from the dash cam install. I need to open the fuse box to see if the dash camera is wired to the circuit with the touch screen (I actually don't know). It seems lots of systems in the Tesla are sensitive to voltage, and if the incoming voltage isn't exactly what the component expects, it gets unhappy with warnings and precautionary system shunts. I'll monitor and write back in a couple weeks after I investigate with Tesla.

Dan from WC Customs has been super attentive and even sent me an email asking me how the install is working out for me.

- K

Thanks for the updates and congrats on the trip. Definitely interested to hear if you isolate the NVH and touchscreen issues and see if it is related to the dashcam install. I am waiting for my Blackvue to arrive and your info has been quite helpful.

I have an update regarding the issues I detailed above. I had my car in for service at the Burlingame Tesla Service Center this week. The NVH in the A-pillar was resolved by Tesla and they said one of the clips were loose. They refastened it and added some foam tape. They did not mention that any of it was related to what WC Customs did, so we're in the clear.

Second, the touchscreen freezing issue with error message was diagnosed by Tesla to be a current bug where the iPhone is pinging the MCU when connected by a USB cord for charging. The car doesn't like it, and freaks out. The recommended solution was not to plug in my iphone, or use a 12V adapter to charge my phone. I do not accept Tesla's resolution, but again, WC Customs is in the clear ... this was an unrelated issue.

So again, thanks to Dan and WC Customs for a job well done. The install is so clean and the cameras are still where he put them. :)

- K

I have an update regarding the issues I detailed above. I had my car in for service at the Burlingame Tesla Service Center this week. The NVH in the A-pillar was resolved by Tesla and they said one of the clips were loose. They refastened it and added some foam tape. They did not mention that any of it was related to what WC Customs did, so we're in the clear.

Second, the touchscreen freezing issue with error message was diagnosed by Tesla to be a current bug where the iPhone is pinging the MCU when connected by a USB cord for charging. The car doesn't like it, and freaks out. The recommended solution was not to plug in my iphone, or use a 12V adapter to charge my phone. I do not accept Tesla's resolution, but again, WC Customs is in the clear ... this was an unrelated issue.

So again, thanks to Dan and WC Customs for a job well done. The install is so clean and the cameras are still where he put them. :)

- K

I use a combination of these two
Amazon.com: Aukey 4.8A / 24W Dual USB Car Charger Adapter for Apple and Android Devices (The Smallest but Most Powerful Car Charger in the World) - Black: Cell Phones Accessories
Amazon.com: Anker 3ft Nylon Braided USB Cable with Lightning Connector [Apple MFi Certified] for iPhone 6 / 6 Plus, iPad Air 2 and More (Space Gray): Cell Phones Accessories

The adapter gives 2.4A and the cord is really nice and is just nicer to deal with than the standard white rubbery Apple ones. It also frees up my ports for two of these Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra Fit 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ43-128G-G46): Computers Accessories

- - - Updated - - -

I recently made a video of a beautiful commute in the SF Bay Area (is there such a thing?) using the Blackvue 650 Dash Cam. Check it out in HD:

Tesla Bay Area Commute - YouTube

... not bad eh?

- K

I love the sunrises and sunsets around here. The drive over the San Mateo bridge must have been amazing in person.

I recently made a video of a beautiful commute in the SF Bay Area (is there such a thing?) using the Blackvue 650 Dash Cam. Check it out in HD:

Tesla Bay Area Commute - YouTube

... not bad eh?

- K

Great video! I'm in San Mateo too and you make that daybreak bridge crossing look beautiful. My daily trip down to Cupertino or Sunnyvale wouldn't look nearly as sexy, just solid traffic as I travel the carpool lane.

Do you do that commute every day? That's pretty brutal although if anyone saw that video they would look at me and say "I thought you said Bay Area traffic is horrible?" You make it look easy!

Impressive video quality, now I want one.