Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom Tesla Roadster 2-Piece Slotted Rotors, NEW batch for 2019

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update, aluminum hats were finished machining today. We will get them in for electro-less nickel plating this week. We are slowly working through drilling holes in the socket head bolts so we can safety wire sets together.

Progress!

Sets are still available fro January shipment.

I have a request for 'blacked out' set of hats rather than the bright e-nickel finish. If other are interested please let me know because the price will drop if I can get 3 folks to commit to the Cerakote satin black finish. One set is $400, if I can get 3 folks the price will drop to $285 per set. I need to know right away since the batch is set to got out for e-nickel right after Christmas.

Thanks everyone and have a great Holiday Season.
Dave

Hey everyone,
As the year draws to a close, I am getting this order finalized. There are 15 sets of rotors in production, as things stand only 8 sets have payment so there are still 7 sets up for grabs for those who want to get new rotors in January. I will be getting the pads ordered this week so if you want to make sure you get complete sets(rotors & pads) please let me know. All paid orders have a pad selection confirmed, so no need to get in contact me if i have e-mailed a confirmation. Everything is still on course for the January shipments!

Thanks to all and have a safe and happy holiday season!
Dave

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Hi Everyone,
This batch of rotors are working their way through the system! I just got confirmation the the Blacktride treatment is getting finished and they will be shipping them to Portland for assembly by the end of the week. It looks like the rotors will arrive the same time as the hats will be finished with the electro-less nickel plating.

I have had a request for BLACK anodized finish on one set of rotor hats, to hit minimums I am doing 3 sets so there will be a couple of them available. It is only working out to $120 additional for the black anodized finish so let me know if you want them.

I still have a few sets not paid for, so PM or e-mail me([email protected]) if you want a set and be ready for the spring driving season. January ship date still looks good. I have matching GS-1 pads for rotor sets since they have been the most popular, or you can get just rotors.

Thanks and Happy 2019!
Dave

I still have a few sets not paid for, so PM or e-mail me([email protected]) if you want a set and be ready for the spring driving season. January ship date still looks good. I have matching GS-1 pads for rotor sets since they have been the most popular, or you can get just rotors.
My $.02... Don't wait until Spring. The custom rotors' resistance to rusting is great for the winter season, too!

I have a set of these installed by the previous owner. How often do I check the pads and general brake maintenance? Does Tesla check these on the annual service?
No idea how often, but given how long pads last on the car, it would probably be a matter of once a year or two.

As for Tesla Service, at my last annual service they noted that they were aftermarket and so not supported. They wouldn't even look at them. That said, the shop you use to install them should be able to do the checks. I have a local mechanic here who has worked on our cars over the years. They did the install (after reading up on the proper jacking procedures), and I expect I'll go back in a year or so to have them verify everything is wearing properly.

Reactions: titaniumdave
No idea how often, but given how long pads last on the car, it would probably be a matter of once a year or two.

As for Tesla Service, at my last annual service they noted that they were aftermarket and so not supported. They wouldn't even look at them. That said, the shop you use to install them should be able to do the checks. I have a local mechanic here who has worked on our cars over the years. They did the install (after reading up on the proper jacking procedures), and I expect I'll go back in a year or so to have them verify everything is wearing properly.

Thanks for the info! Should've figured Tesla wouldn't check them

Reactions: titaniumdave
According to my Annual Service itemized report last April, the brake pads and discs were inspected; pad thickness was noted to be 8mm all around. I did specifically ask that that be done. I imagine service, as opposed to inspection, would be another matter.
Interesting. I forget if the visit was simply the annual service or to service some other part of the car (HVAC needed some work), but I kind of expected that they'd not want to support the new brakes so I didn't challenge them on it. I will next time (visually inspect and measure, not service).

My nearest service center (Watertown, MA) had no problem with them for 2 annual services. They checked and reported the condition of my [non-OEM] pads. It depends on how grumpy the service center wants to be. Or maybe they didn't notice they were aftermarket.

Reactions: dhrivnak
My nearest service center (Watertown, MA) had no problem with them for 2 annual services. They checked and reported the condition of my [non-OEM] pads. It depends on how grumpy the service center wants to be. Or maybe they didn't notice they were aftermarket.
Could be. Pads can be hard to notice, but my gleaming new slotted rotors are hard to miss. Still, it is worth asking them to "Just measure the pads, ok? Please?" (Will couple this with "Put some DeOxit on the fan connector, too.")

We are assembling rotor sets at this time! Here are the aluminum hats finished in black hard anodized, think they turned out very nice.
Tesla Black rotor hats, 01-30-2019.jpg

The last set of 'Black Hat' rotors just sold! Thanks so much for the support. I still have 4 set of nickel finish, with GS-1 pads, ready for delivery since a couple of folks switched to the Black Hats when they saw how they turned out. E-mail me if you have been waiting to get a set.

Dave