Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Custom Build

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly. Same behavior using the 17" control or the Tesla App (at least the iPhone app). Note, if you park in a garage or underneath a tree, the power liftgate can be programmed to not open all the way; or alternatively, if you click the back of the fob during opening, it will stop opening. Neither of these are available without the power liftgate as the spring simply wants to open to max height once the trunk is unlatched via the screen, app, or fob.

Hmm... thanks.

I'm still glad I got the package for $3k, but would've been pissed if I paid $5k not knowing this simple piece of information.

Exactly. Same behavior using the 17" control or the Tesla App (at least the iPhone app). Note, if you park in a garage or underneath a tree, the power liftgate can be programmed to not open all the way; or alternatively, if you click the back of the fob during opening, it will stop opening. Neither of these are available without the power liftgate as the spring simply wants to open to max height once the trunk is unlatched via the screen, app, or fob.

WTF, definitely agree, Tesla's website is in serious need for more information on WTF the car actually does.
Definitely devalues the "premium interior" a bit I think.
One thing though, the trunk goes pretty high, and in low garages, you might hit the liftgate on the roof. Its good to have a settable max height.
But I did turn down an inventory car, precisely because it didn't have premium interior .. had I known .. I would have gone for it.

WTF, definitely agree, Tesla's website is in serious need for more information on WTF the car actually does.
Definitely devalues the "premium interior" a bit I think.
One thing though, the trunk goes pretty high, and in low garages, you might hit the liftgate on the roof. Its good to have a settable max height.
But I did turn down an inventory car, precisely because it didn't have premium interior .. had I known .. I would have gone for it.

If its any consolation, "premium interior" includes the old "premium lighting" enhancements and

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...t-Comparison?p=1026691&viewfull=1#post1026691
- The ambient lighting is a nice touch in my car. I actually miss it while driving the loaner

Yep, those are the two people! And I agree, Chris got the car he needed/wanted. The other one is still doing research, which is fine... I did a lot of research too.

Haha, I joked with my wife about the P85D, she didn't think it was funny (she had no problem between the 70D and 85D). Though realistically the P85D would've meant sacrifices in other spending areas, and I wasn't going to do that for a car.

I agree with you completely, Max. We would have had to cut in other areas too and I just didn't want to do that.

Plus, we had that P85D for not even 24 hours and I got pulled over - doing something pretty dumb - but nonetheless. I've heard that insane mode actually gets old after a while.

I've got my motorcycles for the speed if I get that itch. Now, THAT is what gas should continue to be used for . . . nothing like going through the gears on a bike . . .

Bottom line is that Kutta is happy with his selection, and me with mine. Max, did you order yours yet?

Now, I've just got to find the money to get some sort of coating/sealant . . . ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Personally I don't think I had any more or less options than with other brands.

I guess my other point with this thread was the fact that you could, in your pajamas, click through and order your custom vehicle while sipping your coffee in complete silence at your breakfast table one Saturday morning in 15 minutes - rather than (as Kuttakamina pointed out) FIGHT with a dealership ALL SATURDAY long.

70D, S85, 85D, P85D? What color? Or, you don't have to share that personal information! :)
70D (similar colors to yours -- deep blue, black alcantra, tan seats) wasn't that obvious from my perspective? lol

A few odds and ends here and there ;)

- - - Updated - - -

(TACC, Pano, cold weather, kid seats, umn... I don't remember offhand what else)

70D (similar colors to yours -- deep blue, black alcantra, tan seats) wasn't that obvious from my perspective? lol

A few odds and ends here and there ;)

- - - Updated - - -

(TACC, Pano, cold weather, kid seats, umn... I don't remember offhand what else)

Very cool! Congrats to you too! Any day now, huh? Aren't you wetting your pants with excitement? You seem so - ho hum about it! I can't even imagine what I'll be like within a week of my D day!

Very cool! Congrats to you too! Any day now, huh? Aren't you wetting your pants with excitement? You seem so - ho hum about it! I can't even imagine what I'll be like within a week of my D day!

Thanks :D. The ETA is "mid-June", and trust me, I can't wait! I check the MyTesla page about... 1000000x a day. I've also been pestering people in the order tracking thread / 70D owners thread. My DS is very slow to reply to emails, and this whole thing is it done / is it not done is killing me (that plus I'm trying to time my cars private sale at the same time as the model S to avoid having a large gap with 1 car for the family... and private sale will give me about 150% of trade-in value)

Thanks :D. The ETA is "mid-June", and trust me, I can't wait! I check the MyTesla page about... 1000000x a day. I've also been pestering people in the order tracking thread / 70D owners thread. My DS is very slow to reply to emails, and this whole thing is it done / is it not done is killing me (that plus I'm trying to time my cars private sale at the same time as the model S to avoid having a large gap with 1 car for the family... and private sale will give me about 150% of trade-in value)

did tesla give you a trade in sale offer yet? Was it that bad?

did tesla give you a trade in sale offer yet? Was it that bad?

Didn't even ask. They use Auto Nation, which is a competitor to CarMax. Took my car to CarMax, there was an hour and a half wait for an appraiser, one of the guys said he can give me a ballpark. He pulled up KBB, asked what my condition is (I said very good), he said the appraiser will give me a few hundred below "fair" (they go two levels below KBB condition).

My car was only made for two years, in very limited quantities. It's on Craigslist now, listed above KBB, and I'm close to selling it. Just waiting on my DS to schedule a delivery date.

But the manual power lift gate isn't hard to open. Why is everyone so crazy about the power lift gate?
Yes I went from
Blue -> Black -> Blue, and
70D -> 85D -> 70D.
I also eventually dropped the subzero package.

So now I'm locked in at -
Blue, Next gen black, Pano, Prem interior, autopilot.
Add to this, plug installation in garage, xpel or opticoat or something, service plans, extended warranty.
Total bill = too much LOL. I'm looking at a 8 year cost of ownership around 40-50K ~ $520 + electricity + insurance per month.. which is twice of what the Acura has costed me .. but, Tesla is a better car (assuming it remains trouble free, which is .. a big "if"). The new ones seem ok for the most though, we shall see.

Some people here had me convinced that the 85D's range mattered, and 70D's range was crap.
Turns out, 70D's range is not crappy, the claimed results are matching what people are seeing in the real world.
All that fancy math aside, I decided to believe in what people were actually seeing in real life.
And atleast around where we live, where range is an issue, (PA towards Hershey, and VA towards Roanoke), 85D would have been an issue too.
Don't get me wrong, 30 miles extra in a pinch is a big deal, but 10K is also a big deal :).
If I did 85D, I'd probably skimp on xpel, service plan, etc. 70D wil meet my needs more than enough, so I went back to it and saved the 10K.
And its not like I am buying an impractical city only car, like Leaf or Chevy Spark. 70D's range is more than enough for my needs.

Oh also, Tesla is adding FIVE superchargers in VA, 3 of them around Roanoke, the one in VA beach is under construction.
And they are also adding atleast TWO towards Hershey PA. So those holes are gonna get patched over the next 2 years.
They are also adding a supercharger in Laurel, MD in the near future, and then another one on the right hand bottom of the beltway later in 2016.
The supercharger locations and dates are all malleable btw. But still, its enough for me to know that they see it as a problem and are working on it.
So really, it came down to this - for the next 2-3 years, I may not be able to go to Hershey's, PA and avoid using J1772.
I am quite depressed about that, but I'll have 10K dollar bills to wipe my tears with. It'll be hard but I'll survive.

We are quite closeby btw, we should maybe do a chat up at Tesla supercharger sometime. Did you join the DC tesla owners google group? You should.
Like the name Sala kutta

What about sound? Base sound is poor. Are you upgrading aftermarket?

I need to do that too :-/. Just that I'm not in DC for the next two weeks. My car is in awesome condition, whoever buys it will be lucky to get such a nicely maintained car.

I've also heard that carmax/autonation give decent offers for low-mileage/newer cars. My car was neither, hence the poor "offer" (I didn't get anything in writing, the employee saved me a 1.5 hour wait)

That's that. My DS was right.

Production Complete

Your Model*S is in transit from the factory.

Haha drsaab, yes the sound system, even premium sound is disappointing. But I mostly listen to podcasts while driving, so not that important to me. One thing I don't understand, the trend these days is to spend loads of money on fancy speakers and amps. While the audio source is still lossy mp3s. Anyway most of the music I listen to is old, doesn't need the whiz bang audio effects of the new Taylor swift generation. And if the audio system falls short, I just start singing.

Haha drsaab, yes the sound system, even premium sound is disappointing. But I mostly listen to podcasts while driving, so not that important to me. One thing I don't understand, the trend these days is to spend loads of money on fancy speakers and amps. While the audio source is still lossy mp3s. Anyway most of the music I listen to is old, doesn't need the whiz bang audio effects of the new Taylor swift generation. And if the audio system falls short, I just start singing.

In that case I won't bring up how much I spend on my homes sound system to watch mostly lossy DD :redface: