Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Current Delivery Times

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was all set to buy Model 3 in early 2020, but due to covid, I have been working from home since March 2020 and am not really using my current car and delayed my purchase. In that time, prices of tesla cars went down, ModelY was launched and then prices went up again...... Unfortunately, I didn't keep track of prices and finally ordered at a higher price in early July.....

My son is taking my current car to college and I will not have a car soon, until Tesla delivers MYLR
uh oh....we've seen this story before. Beware that you may be without a car for a while, potentially way longer than you think. Hopefully you don't need a car in the meantime, but you might want to develop a plan B just in case

Reactions: PatrickTM
Totally agree. Makes no sense for Tesla to ask people to apply for financing before the car is ready for delivery.

I can see them doing a pre-approval, sure, no problem - that helps people to get a ballpark figure on what could potentially qualify for, and what monthly payments might look like. But running a hard credit inquiry and applying for financing 3-4 months before purchasing a car? This is an opportunity for improvement.
I’d be more agreeable to the upfront hard inquiry if they had a better system that prioritized completed financing for delivery. $250 down doesn’t prove any kind of seriousness about actually coming through with the funds to buy the car. $100 was a literal joke

You don’t know it now, but when it’s all said and done you will look back at your time spent with us as the highlight of your Tesla buying experience. One day you’ll be on a long road trip passing through Florida in your MY and you’ll think to yourself “I know a guy from Florida. I wonder if he’s still waiting for his Tesla.” 😂😂

In the meantime put your MY on your Christmas list.

Welcome to the long and winding road…

Tom
Hahahaha well said.

I called the delivery center I’m picking my car up from and was able to schedule a date directly with them that worked best for me.
Were they flexible on the “3-day rule”? My brother-in-law ordered two weeks after me and now his EDD is showing dates in November when he’s out of town for work at the beginning and then a family trip on the end of the range. The SA told him the 3-day rule was essentially use it or lose it and was kind of a jerk about it😬😬😬

EDD changed from November to January 2022. Ordered Model Y LR in White/White on July, 16, 2021. I would be happy if it arrived before the end of the year. January was unexpected. I'm leasing this car so this is an issue. Would it be faster if I changed from LR to P?

I would say you have about 3 days max in the Bay Area from your latest delivery appointment option.

I would just finance through Tesla and then ReFi to your bank of choice (or try and accomplish a rate match). That way you aren’t waiting on a check for payment.
Why only three days when agreement says 90days per previous threads. I am sure as customers we are eager to get the vehicle asap but three days may be very limited. If Tesla could let us wait upwards of 100days, why can't they wait for a week or 10days to do all the paperwork from our side.

Were they flexible on the “3-day rule”? My brother-in-law ordered two weeks after me and now his EDD is showing dates in November when he’s out of town for work at the beginning and then a family trip on the end of the range. The SA told him the 3-day rule was essentially use it or lose it and was kind of a jerk about it😬😬😬
For me they were. They read me something notifying me that I was scheduling a pick up for before they could guarantee I would be able to pick the car up, and I had to confirm that was fine and that I was aware they didn’t have the car to give me yet.

I called them again today and they said the car is in transit and on schedule to arrive tomorrow, so everything should be good to go Sunday now. Maybe try to see if you can schedule for before the guaranteed 3-day window, or just press on dates that work a little better for you?

For me they were. They read me something notifying me that I was scheduling a pick up for before they could guarantee I would be able to pick the car up, and I had to confirm that was fine and that I was aware they didn’t have the car to give me yet.

I called them again today and they said the car is in transit and on schedule to arrive tomorrow, so everything should be good to go Sunday now. Maybe try to see if you can schedule for before the guaranteed 3-day window, or just press on dates that work a little better for you?
Thanks!! I’ll pass that along. With the EDD roller coaster, it may not even be an issue, but it’s good to have some options in our back pocket just in case

2nd UPDATE- Talked to the delivery manager. Acknowledged there is a problem. Offered me a blue, 20'', long range Y. That I could pick up Monday. I declined because I would have to pay the new price. So in short he assured me I would have one by quarters end. The only way to keep my 50,900 price would be either they make from factory OR someone with same exact build(down to the tow hitch) cancels then they could match it to me. We will work something out by quarters end. He did in fact confirm that some how removing my trade in did reset profile complete on July 20th. He did not know how this happened but he can see it in his system and there is nothing he can do on his end. If it gets close to end of quarter he would escalate it to higher. So I guess Ill wait until then.
Advice anyone?

So umm, 5 days after VIN I still don’t have the text to schedule delivery. It changed from 9/2-9/4 to 8/29-9/4 so I called the 888 number and they said your car is still in Fremont and due to logistics it might be delayed beyond 9/4. This wait never ends!
I'm right there with you. I'm afraid they're going to keep pushing it.

I got my VIN on 7/27 (I know another TMC user who is also in SoCal and also has the exact same situation that I do), and they've continued to move my EDD from week to week (it has moved ahead a total of seven times now). I literally applied for the loan and got approved after the VIN was assigned, and now it's already been 30 days. Vroom picked up my current car today, and now I'm carless. All Tesla will tell me is that my car is "still in production".

I don't mind waiting, but if they weren't going to deliver more promptly, I wish they would have not assigned the VIN. Now it will likely result in another hit to my credit when the offer expires. There's delays, and then there's this.

2nd UPDATE- Talked to the delivery manager. Acknowledged there is a problem. Offered me a blue, 20'', long range Y. That I could pick up Monday. I declined because I would have to pay the new price. So in short he assured me I would have one by quarters end. The only way to keep my 50,900 price would be either they make from factory OR someone with same exact build(down to the tow hitch) cancels then they could match it to me. We will work something out by quarters end. He did in fact confirm that some how removing my trade in did reset profile complete on July 20th. He did not know how this happened but he can see it in his system and there is nothing he can do on his end. If it gets close to end of quarter he would escalate it to higher. So I guess Ill wait until then.
Advice anyone?
Dang, I guess the only positive is that they kind of explained what happened. What a mess, that really sucks.

Once the VIN is assigned, can we negotiate with SA on when to take the delivery. The reason because there is going to be turn around time reg loan approval and funding. How long (many days) we can negotiate with SA before SA says that it will be put back in inventory.
Sort of.

The official policy is that once car arrives at DC and has been prepped for delivery, buyer has three days to take delivery or it'll be reassigned to another buyer. What usually happens is buyer will get VIN notification when the car rolls off of the factory floor (or “tent” floor in Tesla’s case lol) a couple weeks before it reaches DC, so buyer has tons of time to get financing finalized. In rare cases a buyer will get a VIN assignment of a car already at the DC, in which case there’s only have a few days to schedule delivery.

In reality like all things Tesla it depends on the competence and mood of your SA or DS. Seems like if you get a chill DS they will be flexible and work with you to push out delivery, and let you schedule an appointment beyond the three day window.