Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Curious : Is there any HW2 owners that opted for AP1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm guessing most of them ponied up the delta but was wondering if there was a combination of HW2 with AP1 software. That would be a lot of work for tesla to do. My theory was they would eventually upgrade the HW2-AP1 combination for free to eliminate the maintainance overhead. Curious to know if it works at all!

I'm actually in that situation right now. I ordered in Aug and then of course in Oct they upgraded it to the HW2. I didn't opt for EAP or self driving capability and have been assured that I will still get AP1 functionality when the car is delivered. I do feel like it would be a good amount of work for them though to produce and update AP1 on HW2 over time. I won't know for sure how things play out until my Car is delivered in Feb though.

I'm actually in that situation right now. I ordered in Aug and then of course in Oct they upgraded it to the HW2. I didn't opt for EAP or self driving capability and have been assured that I will still get AP1 functionality when the car is delivered. I do feel like it would be a good amount of work for them though to produce and update AP1 on HW2 over time. I won't know for sure how things play out until my Car is delivered in Feb though.

Btw - did your delivery always say Feb or did it change after your AP1 election ( or rather after your EAP opt-out)?

Btw - did your delivery always say Feb or did it change after your AP1 election ( or rather after your EAP opt-out)?

I actually ordered the car at the start of my deployment and won't be back until Feb. I've only had my delivery timeframe changed once and it was because they had me slated for Early Jan - Feb, I wanted to make sure I was home so I had my DS switch it to Feb - Early March. I'll be sure to post once it's delivered so everyone has an idea about what's going on!

I thought the same thing when placing my order, but in the end updated to EAP. I doubt, too, there will be two versions of AP on HW2, but leaving out features, like Summon+, is easily achieved. Furthermore, a larger part of Tesla's revenue is software based. Giving software for free that was supposed to cost $2k later on will make it less likely people will splurge next time a similar situation occurs.

I ordered AP1 software on my MS60, then a few days later they announced HW2 on all cars. I never upgraded to EAP even though they pushed it. It's unclear what software we will get but I agree that we will most likely get a dummed down version of EAP. Let's see

Reactions: MP3Mike
I ordered AP1 software on my MS60, then a few days later they announced HW2 on all cars. I never upgraded to EAP even though they pushed it. It's unclear what software we will get but I agree that we will most likely get a dummed down version of EAP. Let's see

Two and counting. I would have been one of them, but caved in. This was a tech on wheels splurge so not getting this would have eaten me alive from the inside :)

So what version of the software are you on now ?

I actually ordered the car at the start of my deployment and won't be back until Feb. I've only had my delivery timeframe changed once and it was because they had me slated for Early Jan - Feb, I wanted to make sure I was home so I had my DS switch it to Feb - Early March. I'll be sure to post once it's delivered so everyone has an idea about what's going on!

Cool! Glad to know the you opted for a later date.

I thought the same thing when placing my order, but in the end updated to EAP. I doubt, too, there will be two versions of AP on HW2, but leaving out features, like Summon+, is easily achieved. Furthermore, a larger part of Tesla's revenue is software based. Giving software for free that was supposed to cost $2k later on will make it less likely people will splurge next time a similar situation occurs.

I guess these days it's hard to do this quietly. I can't imagine there being more than a handful of people with this combination - so really does it make sense to jump through all these hoops?

I can't imagine there being more than a handful of people with this combination - so really does it make sense to jump through all these hoops?
Yes, just a few hundreds maybe... but you can be sure that a few of those will immediately start a thread here to announce their good fortune, and show they were the smart ones to wait for a while. I know I was intending to be one of them... then changed my mind. ;)

I too ordered a car with AP1 and got a car with AP2 hardware. My window sticker had 0 mention of AP and when I brought it to their attention they said that it wouldn't show up on the window sticker only on the contract (Which it does). Still waiting on todays software update to see if any AP functionality is active.

It won't be "AP1 software on HW2" -- that's not possible. If anything, it will be EAP with the E parts disabled in software, therefore matching AP1 functionality (but with AP2 software and HW2). That was the consensus in another thread back in October. We'll have to wait for the people who ordered before EAP was announced and didn't upgrade to see what they really get.

What features can we expect for the AP1 equivalent software on our HW2 cars? The expectations are unclear to me, can someone please clarify...

EAP and FSD are clearly stated on the Tesla Website:
Enhanced Auto Pilot
• TACC
• Autosteering
• Auto change lanes without driver input (I assume this would be to keep TACC at a constant speed)
• Exit the freeway (based on Navigation directions)
• Park itself
• Summon in/out of garage

Full Self-Driving Capability
• Conduct short and long trips with no action required by the driver
• Manage intersections and roundabouts
• See stop lights and stop sights
• Drop you off at an entry, auto seek parking, park itself and then come pick you back up with a summon from your phone

What features can we expect for the AP1 equivalent software on our HW2 cars? The expectations are unclear to me, can someone please clarify...

EAP and FSD are clearly stated on the Tesla Website:

Aside from the auto change lanes and exiting of the freeway it sounds identical to AP1. I imagine the hardware will be able to interpret things faster but am I missing something else?

Reactions: hillestadk