Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Creaking tailgate - mobile technician visit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had a mobile technician visit this morning after opening a service request about a creaky tailgate.

The guy came out, confirmed the creak and went to work. After about 45 mins during which time he removed the plastic trim on the inside of the hatch, he said it was sorted and all done. He said he'd put some pads to dampen the sound and put some lubricant around the seal of the hatch.

Naively I didn't take it for a follow up drive whilst he was there to confirm. Only once he left did I do so, only to discover the creak hadn't gone, and was now joined by a rattle, presumably as a result of taking all the trim off.

Furthermore, upon inspection, the pads he'd placed between the metal and the plastic trim to try and damped the sound stick out and look awful.

It's absolutely unreal that this is considered "fixed" on a car that (before the massive price drops started happening) cost £70k!

I've just gone back to the service team to see what the next steps are :|

Attachments

• 20230712_091737.jpg
    20230712_091737.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 276
  • 20230712_091742.jpg
    20230712_091742.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 150
  • 20230712_091746.jpg
    20230712_091746.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 148
  • 20230712_091750.jpg
    20230712_091750.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 150
  • 20230712_091820.jpg
    20230712_091820.jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 164
  • 20230712_091837.jpg
    20230712_091837.jpg
    466.1 KB · Views: 155
  • 20230712_091841.jpg
    20230712_091841.jpg
    418 KB · Views: 148
  • 20230712_091849.jpg
    20230712_091849.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 151
Just had a mobile technician visit this morning after opening a service request about a creaky tailgate.

The guy came out, confirmed the creak and went to work. After about 45 mins during which time he removed the plastic trim on the inside of the hatch, he said it was sorted and all done. He said he'd put some pads to dampen the sound and put some lubricant around the seal of the hatch.

Naively I didn't take it for a follow up drive whilst he was there to confirm. Only once he left did I do so, only to discover the creak hadn't gone, and was now joined by a rattle, presumably as a result of taking all the trim off.

Furthermore, upon inspection, the pads he'd placed between the metal and the plastic trim to try and damped the sound stick out and look awful.

It's absolutely unreal that this is considered "fixed" on a car that (before the massive price drops started happening) cost £70k!

I've just gone back to the service team to see what the next steps are :|
Model Y I assume?

I have a creak over uneven road surfaces seems to come from the very back. I was able to stop it by lying in the boot and pressing up on the tailgate on both sides with my hands while the car is being driven. Not really practical long term.

There is a thread in the US about parts in the tailgate at the top rubbing together and can be fixed with shims in between the metal plates under the plastic trim. I did take the top trim off to look but I think my creak is from further back.

Adjusting the 4 rubber touch points does change when it happens but I have been unable to eliminate. This suggests ( as expected) that it is the tailgate flexing in response to the car flexing, over uneven surfaces that causes it but exactly what part on what part is not clear
I was planning to take off the plastic panel from the back ( as your tech did) and then drive it. if it still does it with that removed then shimming it with rubber is not going to fix it.

seems worse in cold weather. not sure why. materials less flexible when cold maybe which suggests a plastic component since steel should not change much between 2 and 20 degrees.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
The price of something doesn't mean much, as you've found out. The price is what the market was willing to bear at the time. Now it's less, because supply exceeds demand.

Being super pedantic - you didn't even pay this hypothetical £70k, your lease company did. You're renting the car. Doesn't alter the value proposition or the fact that it's poor rectification work, but people trot out the "it's a £70k car" like they actually paid that amount.

All you can really do is get back on to them with another service request.

The price of something doesn't mean much, as you've found out. The price is what the market was willing to bear at the time. Now it's less, because supply exceeds demand.

Being super pedantic - you didn't even pay this hypothetical £70k, your lease company did. You're renting the car. Doesn't alter the value proposition or the fact that it's poor rectification work, but people trot out the "it's a £70k car" like they actually paid that amount.

I'm not renting mine am I allowed to say it?
Mine was only £56K but I assume it has the same tailgate

Yeah I totally agree, I wasn't trying to suggest it was worth that.

It was more of a reflection on the state of things. If my wife's car, a Suzuki Swift which we paid £16k for new, came back from a service with this quality of work I'd be shocked, let alone on a car like this.

Got another service booked in for next Wednesday, I'll be much more thorough this time.

Is it a creak when it opens and closes? I think I saw a post somewhere else on here that it's a pinch weld that creaks - and someone use some expanding foam (unclear to me if it's open cell, or expanding foam).

I also have a creak.. it bothers me, but I haven't had the time to figure it out yet.

Is it a creak when it opens and closes? I think I saw a post somewhere else on here that it's a pinch weld that creaks - and someone use some expanding foam (unclear to me if it's open cell, or expanding foam).

I also have a creak.. it bothers me, but I haven't had the time to figure it out yet.
mine is while driving I assumed the Op was the same but he has not said to be fair
I know about the pinch weld issue. not sure if it actually affects UK cars that are made in China. All the reports I have seen have been US based.
Either way I don't think that is my issue since it is at the top of the tailgate I think and my creak seems further back and at the base

I spent hours looking for this creak, and even left my car with the service centre to fix this creak (they didn't), only to find the seals needed a little lubricant on them which I could've done myself in minutes...

Get some Autoglym lubricant and wipe it on all the seals. I do all doors including boot. All creaky problems solved.

So my issue is that it creaks when driving. Effectively it's when the body flexes / moves at all.

The tech did lubricate the seal all the way around, which after having left it a couple of days might have made a difference. I haven't had a substantial quiet drive to test, but I'll check this weekend.

Same issue today. Tech admitted tesla are aware of this problem. He recreated it immediately by pushing tailgate down above each rear light. Agreed it was the outer seal but advised against lube / gummi pfledge when I asked. I hope this means a revised seal may be in the pipeline. Meanwhile I am going to put a thin strip of clear ppf down the painted part of rear wing...will report back soon.

Reactions: Jason71
Same issue today. Tech admitted tesla are aware of this problem. He recreated it immediately by pushing tailgate down above each rear light. Agreed it was the outer seal but advised against lube / gummi pfledge when I asked. I hope this means a revised seal may be in the pipeline. Meanwhile I am going to put a thin strip of clear ppf down the painted part of rear wing...will report back soon.
Didn't work, gummi pfledge works for a bit but I am sure its more for rejuvenation of old rubber. It dries dry🤦. (Prices & quantities vary shop around). Silicon oil helps but likely to spread onto paintwork. These seals squeak from outside but sound like our creak inside

Didn't work, gummi pfledge works for a bit but I am sure it’s more for rejuvenation of old rubber. It dries dry🤦. (Prices & quantities vary shop around). Silicon oil helps but likely to spread onto paintwork. These seals squeak from outside but sound like our creak inside
Basic silicone spray like this is not going to cause a problem to the car paintwork, especially if you spray first onto a cloth and rub on.

If the tailgate is moving so much that it’s causing major issue then I’d recommend spending 15 minutes adjusting the 4x bumpers which allow it to be aligned and sit tight to the body when closed. It doesn’t need to be tight to the seals just closed and all panels in alignment is enough.

I spent hours looking for this creak, and even left my car with the service centre to fix this creak (they didn't), only to find the seals needed a little lubricant on them which I could've done myself in minutes...

Get some Autoglym lubricant and wipe it on all the seals. I do all doors including boot. All creaky problems solved.
Where’s the seals? Not trying to be funny, just don’t know a lot about cars at all but I do have this creaking issue from the back and it’s driving me crazy (no pun intended)

Hi everyone, just posted something about this yesterday. My MYLR23 is China build and defo has a horrible creak coming from the rear. I thought it sounded like it was coming from the plastic trim cos I climbed in the back to check whilst the mrs drove it. Creak only happens over uneven surfaces.

Where’s the seals? Not trying to be funny, just don’t know a lot about cars at all but I do have this creaking issue from the back and it’s driving me crazy (no pun intended)
Oh no worries, just look for the rubber.. err seals (not sure how else to describe it) that are on the car itself (not on boot lid).

Not sure if that helps, but if not I can take some pictures next time I’m at my car.

Oh no worries, just look for the rubber.. err seals (not sure how else to describe it) that are on the car itself (not on boot lid).

Not sure if that helps, but if not I can take some pictures next time I’m at my car.
In a model Y there are a set of seals down each side of the tailgate itself and some say they are actually the worst offenders for causing creaking. I would tend to agree based on my own experience.