Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had my X Plaid for more than a month now. When I took delivery I didn't notice anything wrong with the car but after I got home and drove it more it started to hear this crackling sound coming from underneath the car. It's the loudest in the morning after it's been sitting in my garage all night and is only really audible at low speeds. I took it to a service center and they said they greased some of the wheels and that solved the issue. It's hard to re-create after I drive the car for a bit so when they test drove it after the "fixing" it, it wasn't making any noise. I noticed it the next day as I am pretty tuned into the noise by now. Attached is a video of me pulling out of my garage and driving down the block. Anyone else experienced this?

I've had my X Plaid for more than a month now. When I took delivery I didn't notice anything wrong with the car but after I got home and drove it more it started to hear this crackling sound coming from underneath the car. It's the loudest in the morning after it's been sitting in my garage all night and is only really audible at low speeds. I took it to a service center and they said they greased some of the wheels and that solved the issue. It's hard to re-create after I drive the car for a bit so when they test drove it after the "fixing" it, it wasn't making any noise. I noticed it the next day as I am pretty tuned into the noise by now. Attached is a video of me pulling out of my garage and driving down the block. Anyone else experienced this?

Did you ever get a fix for this? The MXLR we picked up new yesterday started to make a similar noise this morning, seems to be front driver side. We put in a service request, but the next appointment is a month out and we have some concern about driving it with this noise on a brand new car.

Upvote 0
Did you ever get a fix for this? The MXLR we picked up new yesterday started to make a similar noise this morning, seems to be front driver side. We put in a service request, but the next appointment is a month out and we have some concern about driving it with this noise on a brand new car.
No I have brought it in for service 3 times and each time they have told me 3 different causes for the noise and say they have "fixed it". When I pick up the car the noise is gone but after driving a few blocks it's back again. The next morning it's always worse. They have no idea what's causing it and have even told me that's "normal noise" when I tell them the issue persists. I don't know anyone else who has this issue and for a new car you would expect it to not have any issues like this especially a car as $$ as an X.

• Informative
Reactions: Prodock
Upvote 0
I sent a video to the service center and their response was that “it’s normal brake noise, drive without a foot on the brake and it will go away”. I took it for a good ride and it made the noise even though I was one pedal driving. Definitely seems to be suspension related or something binding. No noise above 45 mph. I tried different suspension settings and that didn’t seem to affect it.

Upvote 0
Typical SC BS. My Nov born 2023 MXP is in for service since it exhibited bizzare behavior a few days ago that required towing and is sitting in the snow and freezing rain with no one looking at it for several days. I don’t remember such a sound at all. It does tend to vibrate a bit for a minute or two after sitting for a while (cold start) but that dissipates. This doesn’t sound normal. I’ll tune in again when and if I get the car though. I think service centers are overwhelmed, but that doesn’t excuse the lack of proper and precise diagnostics. Or as in my case - parking the car indefinitely till someone gets to look at it.

• Informative
Reactions: Prodock
Upvote 0
That sounds like rusty brake rotors drifting across the brake pads. Do a couple hard braking coming up to stops and it should go away.
Not sure if this is the noise others are complaining about, but my model 3 has this issue every morning (atleast when it's damp out) and I garage the car. Like you said, a few high speed aggressive breaks normally gets rid of it

Upvote 0
Try cleaning off your brakes - a $6 can of brake cleaner may do the trick especially after winter. I would hear more of a crunching noise when using my brakes due to all of the grime/salt build up. After using can of brake cleaner, noise went away.

Upvote 0