Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cracked forelink?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was driving yesterday on the freeway in AP in heavy traffic with 3 kids in the car, and the car stops suddenly and successfully, but then a terrible sound emanates from the left front wheel. Kids crying so I pull off the freeway thinking something is caught on the wheel/tire to find the back of the LF wheel well cover lifted up and pressing against the tire.

Once roadside gets there, the tech shows me how the "A arm" has split and come off of the ball joint and dropped down and is interfering with the wheel. Wow!

Service was exceptional. I was about 1 hour away from the nearest service center in Friday afternoon traffic, but roadside and a loaner Tesla (O.G. from 2011, so now I understand a lot more about the posts from before 2015!) showed up and we were back on our way out of town within about an hour.

But, this could have been a serious accident. I wonder what caused the failure. The Tesla tech says maybe improper torqueing of the forelink.

Just wondering if this has happened to anyone else? My car has almost 30k miles and has had no other mechanical issues. Very unnerving, to say the least, at what could have been a serious accident if we'd been going at speed and the suspension had come apart like this then.

Thoughts?
JenniferQ - I've just had the same front suspension failure - a cracked Fore Link - on my 13,000 mile P90D so I'm adding my experience here for others because, as you point out, this failure looks like it could cause a serious accident.

While at the mall, I noticed a clunking sound at slow speed when going over small bumps, so I stayed off the expressway and slowly drove home on local roads.

After arriving home, I backed up while turning the wheels to right and the car abruptly stopped as the back of the right front wheel jammed solid against the inside wheel well lining.

The right front wheel was an inch or two back from where it should be. I looked under from the front and saw the cracked Fore Link:
IMG_1181.JPG IMG_1184.JPG
Tesla took it to Dania Beach, FL via flat bed and its now being worked on.

Last edited:
JenniferQ - I've just had the same front suspension failure - a cracked Fore Link - on my 13,000 mile P90D so I'm adding my experience here for others because, as you point out, this failure looks like it could cause a serious accident.

While at the mall, I noticed a clunking sound at slow speed when going over small bumps, so I stayed off the expressway and slowly drove home on local roads.

After arriving home, I backed up while turning the wheels to right and the car abruptly stopped as the back of the right front wheel jammed solid against the inside wheel well lining.

The right front wheel was an inch or two back from where it should be. I looked under from the front and saw the cracked Fore Link:
View attachment 282611 View attachment 282612
Tesla took it to Dania Beach, FL via flat bed and its now being worked on.

Looks like this is an issue we should all be looking at and Tesla needs to look at proactively

• Love
Reactions: cwerdna
You should consider filing a report with the NHTSA. File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA
Since this might endanger lives, I probably should file a NHTSA report. I searched this forum to see how common this was. The only thread I found was this one, but there may be others that posted the same failure using different terminology.

This sure does look like it could cause a serious accident. I feel very lucky this didn't break at high speed on the expressway in traffic or on a jug handle. However, I didn't notice any handling problems after I started hearing the clunking, but I drove home slowly on local roads.

I did file a complaint with NHTSA but never heard from them. Please do file.
I filed an NHTSA report. It's interesting that the manufacture date of our P90Ds are one month apart. Bad batch of Fore Links?

I found the broken-off piece of my Fore Link laying in my driveway. Here's a photo of that piece and the replaced Fore Link:
IMG_1192.JPG IMG_1193.JPG

Last edited:
I filed an NHTSA report. It's interesting that the manufacture date of our P90Ds are one month apart. Bad batch of Fore Links?

I found the broken-off piece of my Fore Link laying in my driveway. Here's a photo of that piece and the replaced Fore Link:
View attachment 283806 View attachment 283807

Your picture looks like exactly what happened to my 90D. Drivers side front link broke the exact same way. Heard a loud ‘pop’ sound while manouvering in a parking lot and found the exact same broken piece on the ground when the tow truck picked up the car.
SC replaced both sides with an ‘updated’ part number.

Your picture looks like exactly what happened to my 90D. Drivers side front link broke the exact same way. Heard a loud ‘pop’ sound while manouvering in a parking lot and found the exact same broken piece on the ground when the tow truck picked up the car.
When did this happen... just trying to figure out when this "updated" part was available.

The SC only replaced my broken Fore Link, not both, but you make me think I should request both replaced.

This is the sticker on my new Fore Link. I assume it's the updated part number:
IMG_1201.jpg

The part numbers for my Sept 17 build, with rattle noise, and steering rack replacement:
drivers side: P1041570-00-B
passenger side: P1041575-00-B (same as @Bill D 's replacement part)

Just looked at my repair order and it shows the same part numbers

Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
FORE LINK ASSY, LH (1041570-00-B) 1
WASHER, NORDLOCK, 15.2x30.7x3.4 1 (1033093-00-A)
NUT HF M14x1.50 [10] ZnNi NL INSERT 1 (1004358-00-C)
Corrections: Link - Front Suspension - Lower - Fore - RH
Technician installed Left front lower fore link and torqued to tesla specifications. Technician verified after work completed the forelinks are installed as designed.

Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
FORE LINK ASSY, RH (1041575-00-B) 1
WASHER, NORDLOCK, 15.2x30.7x3.4 1 (1033093-00-A)
NUT HF M14x1.50 [10] ZnNi NL INSERT 1 (1004358-00-C)