Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CPO: budget for either AP or P85 - what would you chose?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My vote for you : 70D + AP with 19" wheels + pano.

Coming out of successive 300HP+ cars, we've found the 85 is "plenty".

Drove a P85 loaner, and I found the lack of rear traction due to worn 21" tires frustrating.
Think of the savings in tires. Thousands over the life of the car. P85 will roast tires when driven "properly"! |-)

Depends. Do you like fast acceleration or do you do a lot of inter-highway and/or heavy traffic driving?

That's exactly my problem :smile:: I like fast cars (currently drive a 0-60 in 4.9 second ICE) --> P85, and my daily commute is 80% heavy traffic highway --> AP

- - - Updated - - -

OP, is the budget really $60k? CPO/used is the only option if it is and there are no CPO 70D currently. A base new 70D is about $75k after tax credit.

That's what the wifey is willing to agree to. And you are right, there are no 70D CPOs, but I'm kind of speculating that some will become available soon (maybe even a 70 with just RWD) that will be in the range of $60k.

I am in the minority on this board, I think, but I have zero interest in AP. None at all. Partly that's because I don't see the value add, partly that's because I don't really want to be involved in the public beta of tech that controls a two and a half ton piece of machinery moving at 70 mph with my entire family inside.

So, for me, this would be a no brainer. I would get the P. In fact, I got my S85 at a time before the Ds and AP, and I regret not getting the P, especially since they've stopped building the RWD ones.

That's exactly my problem :smile:: I like fast cars (currently drive a 0-60 in 4.9 second ICE) --> P85, and my daily commute is 80% heavy traffic highway --> AP

Have you test driven a 60 or 70D? The 0-60 is a hair slower (5.2 seconds, I believe), but the instant torque makes you forget about it.

Have you test driven a 60 or 70D? The 0-60 is a hair slower (5.2 seconds, I believe), but the instant torque makes you forget about it.

I have test driven a 70D and a P85D - I wished I didn't do the P85D part of that though, because in my mind, the +/- 1 second less 0-60 of the P85 compared with 70D will make a huge difference to me. I was kind of "disappointed" in the acceleration of the 70D after the P85D experience.
Wished I could test drive a P85 - but I guess that will be difficult (at least via Tesla officially).

Would it make sense to wait a year and save up additional funds? You'll be able to get s CPO S85 or 85D and maybe stretch the budget a little higher.

That's an option (even though a painful one), yes. The problem will be: in a year's time, there will be something better that I know I will want. I think I just need to find ways to convince the wife that we will spend 10 grand more now - otherwise, it will never happen :biggrin:

I have test driven a 70D and a P85D - I wished I didn't do the P85D part of that though, because in my mind, the +/- 1 second less 0-60 of the P85 compared with 70D will make a huge difference to me. I was kind of "disappointed" in the acceleration of the 70D after the P85D experience.
Wished I could test drive a P85 - but I guess that will be difficult (at least via Tesla officially).

I gotchya. There's a reason I only test drove the 70D and 85D when i was making my purchasing decision ;)

That's an option (even though a painful one), yes. The problem will be: in a year's time, there will be something better that I know I will want. I think I just need to find ways to convince the wife that we will spend 10 grand more now - otherwise, it will never happen :biggrin:

Don't forget to factor it fuel savings into the sales pitch:)

How much range do you need for trips? Look at the sticky thread by ChadS about factors that can affect range. I believe the rule of thumb was assume 70% of rated range for worst case scenario under normal circumstances (not driving against a 30mph wind for example up a mountain).

Last edited:
AP really cuts down on fatigue.
That's interesting, I would have thought the opposite.
Not doing anything other than watch the car drive itself would be so boring as to make you tired faster than if you were driving and keeping your mind occupied

Edit: Kinda why I can drive 30+ hours non stop and not fall asleep, but after 3+ hours as a passenger I'm having a hard time keeping awake

That is a tough decision. Autopilot has worked amazingly well for me. The traffic-aware cruise control alone will make even the roughest work commute traffic much easier to handle. But if your maximum budget really is $60k, then you probably won't be able to get a Model S with the Autopilot sensors - even the CPO S60s with Autopilot I saw a while back were all listed for more than that.

I've heard that the P85's performance is about the same as the 90D I currently own. My car is noticeably faster than the S60 loaner I had a few months ago. Not that the 60/70 are slow or anything, but you get spoiled by the power of the 85/90D :biggrin:

If I really had to choose, I would pick Autopilot over speed/performance any day. I was lucky enough to be able to stretch and afford both - I didn't want to spend so much on a car without getting exactly what I wanted! You sure you can't wait a bit before purchasing? These cars get cheaper by the day :smile:

Thanks again for all your feedback guys. After seeing what 7.1 has added, the decision is clear: AP it is. Wife agreed (because she now can let the car park itself - something she was worried about before due to small garage space), and I will put in a 70D order (with AP) this weekend.