Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Corroding side view mirror brackets on norwegian cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Courtesy of fellow owner on local forum:

3-metals.jpg

Obviously there is a bolt made from galvanized steel straight through an untreated Alu plate. Also perhaps some other metal in contact? The Alu plate becomes the sacrificial anode.

Obviously there is a bolt made from galvanized steel straight through an untreated Alu plate. Also perhaps some other metal in contact? The Alu plate becomes the sacrificial anode.

Actually galvanized steel is not really bad contact with aluminum, as their anodic index is pretty close (-1.2 versus -0.95). Ideally the difference shouldn't exceed .15 for hostile environments though. And it's not apparent from the picture whether there's a protective coating - paint is likely sufficient in this case.

Stainless steel would be a disaster (-0.2).

Here is a photo peeking down vertically in the the gap just below the front triangular window. Notice all the white oxide on the metal.

u4y3uvub.jpg

Here is a close up of where the mirror attaches to the chassis, where the white oxide is oozing out and running down the side of the car:

u9ubyza2.jpg

I think a mod should change the title to remove the "on norwegian cars" part as its a global issue. Probably more important where road salt is used.

yeah us here in the northeastish (NJ/PA/NY/DE/VA) seem to have been continually hammered with snow this winter. woke up to another 4 inches this morning...I think we're breaking records with like 60"+ so far this winter...might be close to the most snow ever record.

IMG_3382[1].JPG

Here is a photo peeking down vertically in the the gap just below the front triangular window. Notice all the white oxide on the metal.

Here is a close up of where the mirror attaches to the chassis, where the white oxide is oozing out and running down the side of the car:

Mine looked similar to this. Service recently removed everything and replaced the two little triangle window assemblies.

yeah us here in the northeastish (NJ/PA/NY/DE/VA) seem to have been continually hammered with snow this winter. woke up to another 4 inches this morning...I think we're breaking records with like 60"+ so far this winter...might be close to the most snow ever record.

Not yet, right now it is number three behind 95-96 and 2009-2010.

Pleasantly surprised that this thread has stayed free of Tesla fanboyism that sometimes plague this forum!

What I`ve learned so far is that a car delivered in Norway in December has the corroding brackets. A car delivered in march -14 has coated brackets.
This means that production changed somewhere around December +/- a month or two. If changes were made around December to production, Tesla must have known since late fall 2013?
It takes time to test and manufacture a different bracket, but once they found the solution and applied it to production, they should`ve also started producing at a high volume dedicated for the service centres as there are roughly 25.000 Model S` driving around with these brackets. Why not start swapping at full speed to prevent the publicity that will arise when spring comes and people are unable to clean their cars…..

Mods: feel free to remove “norwegian” from the title as this is a global issue.

View attachment 45264

Apparently Northern New Jersey had a 78.4 inches in 1995-1996, which included a record snowfall in one day.

The winter average where I live in Central Maine is 64.3 inches, with an average of 23.2 days per year with at least 0.1" of snowfall. (1981 to 2010). That's pretty typical for central Maine and the Maine coast. I don't know our record, but Portland's snowiest winter was 141.5".

Pleasantly surprised that this thread has stayed free of Tesla fanboyism that sometimes plague this forum!

What I`ve learned so far is that a car delivered in Norway in December has the corroding brackets. A car delivered in march -14 has coated brackets.
This means that production changed somewhere around December +/- a month or two. If changes were made around December to production, Tesla must have known since late fall 2013?
It takes time to test and manufacture a different bracket, but once they found the solution and applied it to production, they should`ve also started producing at a high volume dedicated for the service centres as there are roughly 25.000 Model S` driving around with these brackets. Why not start swapping at full speed to prevent the publicity that will arise when spring comes and people are unable to clean their cars…..

Mods: feel free to remove “norwegian” from the title as this is a global issue.

As a card carrying Tesla fanboy, I am actually offended by you saying this. There isn't anything in the thread which warrants intervention by a fanboy, and despite your insinuation, the fact is that the majority of fanboys (and girls) do not deny the existence of problems.
These are well written posts with facts and specific examples as opposed to other posts which have vague information and wild speculation followed by threats of lawsuits and recalls or testimonials about how VW Golfs never have the problem in question.
There is an unfortunate trend to hide behind the "I hope no fanboys respond here" in an attempt to make claims bulletproof.
I say let the fanboys take back the power!! If we see a post laden with BS, we are going to call people on it. If we see a post that has brought legitimate concerns to light, we are appropriately concerned for corrective action. Honestly your accusation has upset me more than a little, and I will not be reverse-bullied by people who falsely claim that I am bullying them.

- - - Updated - - -

I expect that materials/suppliers change without notice. My old car has none of this Al oxidation. It has suffered two wet, cold, icy, and snowy, salty winters. Tesla needs to be more vigilant about these changes/suppliers.

Exactly the kind of intelligent speculation that is useful to thread. Thank you for your contribution. You can be dang sure I will be checking my car for similar corrosion, but it is not something I have seen despite two snowy winters and the various and sundry mountain trips.