Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Control Arm Safety Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have been reading about safety issues with the control arm on some of these vehicles, because mine just completely fell apart. I have had the car for a while - 2015 Model S P85D and I bought it used in 2017, but never has anything happened to me in a car before even an older one. I was driving in a residential area not even going over 25mph and all of a sudden I thought my tire went flat. But I got out and didn’t see a flat tire. So I turned on the main road and my car almost steered me into oncoming traffic. When I got out and raised my suspension to see if something was caught in my tire, I looked and the control arm that attaches my tire was completely broke off. I didn’t hit anything not even a pot hole. This could have been a lot worse had I not been driving where I was. When I took it to be serviced, they didn’t care that this is a known safety issue even admitting that to me over the phone. They then said they had to replace a bunch of other parts as well. They tried to give me a break on a part because of a bulletin but then they back tracked saying it didn’t matter cause my car wasn’t under warranty. In the end, they took that part off my bill but it was still only $600 and I had to pay $3600. I guess they weren’t happy about me asking for my old parts back because they put some of them on my seat causing damage. I am beyond disappointed and disgusted at Tesla right now.

Attachments

• 4CF1751C-BEBE-4E38-8429-D5B77667083C.jpeg
    4CF1751C-BEBE-4E38-8429-D5B77667083C.jpeg
    552.7 KB · Views: 741
  • B22149D2-D658-4B35-B9CF-29356D99B61B.png
    B22149D2-D658-4B35-B9CF-29356D99B61B.png
    427.1 KB · Views: 465
  • 327F9411-FC8C-4155-8B37-88476060F0F3.png
    327F9411-FC8C-4155-8B37-88476060F0F3.png
    454.7 KB · Views: 404
  • EDEB7759-55EA-47AB-9112-113BC232BA7D.png
    EDEB7759-55EA-47AB-9112-113BC232BA7D.png
    445.3 KB · Views: 436
  • 1A202FB8-569E-4C70-8DBF-2F2C902DFC9A.jpeg
    1A202FB8-569E-4C70-8DBF-2F2C902DFC9A.jpeg
    296.4 KB · Views: 445
  • Informative
Reactions: Falcon73
Now completely locked out of my own car… I just supercharged it to get me where I was going. Key doesn’t work, app doesn’t work, roadside can’t connect to the car and they are acting like I just ran out of battery. I cannot believe this! 🤬

Attachments

• CB5EAD69-2B9D-49DE-84B5-3BE0EF7F3869.png
    CB5EAD69-2B9D-49DE-84B5-3BE0EF7F3869.png
    381.6 KB · Views: 384
  • F2921DAF-50C0-4E8F-A11C-0E2A516FDE47.png
    F2921DAF-50C0-4E8F-A11C-0E2A516FDE47.png
    226.5 KB · Views: 334
Side note: What kind of tow company doesn't have a modern jumper box instead of jumping from the truck's battery?? With today's cars, it's considered a very bad idea to jump from one car's battery to another. Most owner's manuals tell you specifically not to do that because of the power surges.

SUVs and pickup trucks and all luxury cars are as heavy or heavier. You really think 7 years is a long time for ball joints to last before they pop out while driving??
I'm baffled myself. I've got a 2006 Chevy Silverado Duramax with over 200K miles on it. Truck weighs 800lbs more than the our S and still has its original HD suspension and brakes. It's had over 1.5tons of payload, pulled boats/trailers/forklifts, goes off-road, driven through swamps, etc and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Not sure why so many folks dismiss the notion that perhaps Tesla did not design or manufacture a reasonably reliable suspension component.

I'm keeping an eye on the suspension every couple of months and dread the day something goes awry. I'm hoping someone will fabricate better components but I understand there has to be a market and demand before a company will stick their necks out.

Reactions: fredjan
I think I would have been okay paying the money and going on about my life - accepting that my car is older and some parts probably were due to be replaced. But the fact that it looked like they just tossed my old parts on my seat, damaging my seat is what really has me upset. I mean of course I raised the issue that this is a known safety issue. They even mentioned that to me over the phone, but in the end they still expected me to pay it and I did with no complaints. Who wouldn’t raise concerns when they give you an estimate of 2K then it doubles to 4K the next day? But the way they treated me after is reprehensible. Now they are also saying the 12v battery dying is just a coincidence even though it happened less than 24 hours from taking it out of service. I called and they said it’s not their problem. So I am without a vehicle all weekend until I can get it towed to another service center Monday because I had to drive out of town. Roadside even tried to blame me saying I ran out of range but that wasn’t the case. At this point, I feel like I would get better service taking my car to a back alley chop shop versus Tesla.

Attachments

• DC35C72D-EDCA-475B-90B1-4363844806C6.jpeg
    DC35C72D-EDCA-475B-90B1-4363844806C6.jpeg
    304.9 KB · Views: 384

Thanks for the links. Very disturbing seeing so many instances of suspension failure in the Model S. I checked other years for Model S up through 2020 model year on the consumer complaint link and see several additional examples of sudden suspension failure. No question this issue could result in serious injuries or worse if occurring at high speeds. Problem isn't isolated to Model S. I found identical complaints with Model X and Model 3.

I looked at other manufacturer complaints to see if I could find similar examples, but without success.

How this isn't a recall issue is beyond me.

A friend of mine has this setup on his tow truck
As he should.
So odd. The jumper packs are very capable, much more portable, easier to apply, rechargeable with the 12v accessory outlet, and just not that expensive.

Now you know what to buy for your buddy’s next birthday.
Those are very common and the standard for the majority of tow trucks. There is no reason to spend a crap load of money on a jump box and have to deal with plugging it it all the time when the simple jump off another battery will suffice perfectly.

The only time batteries get damaged from jumping is when it's done improperly but going from one battery to another is completely fine.

Reactions: buckets0fun
As he should.

Those are very common and the standard for the majority of tow trucks. There is no reason to spend a crap load of money on a jump box and have to deal with plugging it it all the time when the simple jump off another battery will suffice perfectly.

The only time batteries get damaged from jumping is when it's done improperly but going from one battery to another is completely fine.

Uh, I’ve used both. Jumper cables are stupid.

So I have been reading about safety issues with the control arm on some of these vehicles, because mine just completely fell apart. I have had the car for a while - 2015 Model S P85D and I bought it used in 2017, but never has anything happened to me in a car before even an older one. I was driving in a residential area not even going over 25mph and all of a sudden I thought my tire went flat. But I got out and didn’t see a flat tire. So I turned on the main road and my car almost steered me into oncoming traffic. When I got out and raised my suspension to see if something was caught in my tire, I looked and the control arm that attaches my tire was completely broke off. I didn’t hit anything not even a pot hole. This could have been a lot worse had I not been driving where I was. When I took it to be serviced, they didn’t care that this is a known safety issue even admitting that to me over the phone. They then said they had to replace a bunch of other parts as well. They tried to give me a break on a part because of a bulletin but then they back tracked saying it didn’t matter cause my car wasn’t under warranty. In the end, they took that part off my bill but it was still only $600 and I had to pay $3600. I guess they weren’t happy about me asking for my old parts back because they put some of them on my seat causing damage. I am beyond disappointed and disgusted at Tesla right now.
I've been calling for people to file NHTSA complaints on the control arms for a while. Here we go Folks. This is what lack of grease does. These cars arent Toyota corollas. they are big and heavy, and the Control Arms Tesla is using is not up to the task.