Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Constant 12v Source for Dashcam

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has come in handy for one person here. A kid driving a BMW M5 at 70+mph through residential streets broadsided someone (ran stop sign) and only evidence that counters the story is the dashcam video).

Major accident for me tonight (5/26) (New P85 arrives 7/8) - Page 10

Wouldn't ruin my interior for that--but whatever floats peoples boat.

I would think long and hard before installing one as it opens up a can of legal worms, if YOU did something wrong. The plaintiffs attorney would have the video subpoenaed or also opens you up to subpoena by police or govt. No thanks.

Last edited:
I don't know that I would say it 'ruins the interior'. It is very small and I won't ever see it while driving from the placement. The guy in the office next to me had his car clipped in our company parking garage. Guess what? No camera in the garage that hit that exact spot he was parked at. What was he driving? His Maserati...who wants that claim on their insurance?

There are also numerous examples like the one above on the other Tesla forum -- it is cheap protection. I do understand your privacy concerns, I am from Texas as well (lol), but quite frankly if I do something at fault do you know how quickly I'll pop that SD card out of the camera?

I'm not sure there's an answer there, but that's the place to ask. (Of course, this thread will probably get merged and my post will become obsolete!) My unsolicited advice: Don't buy a BlackVue. If you need warranty service, good luck getting a response from them.

Thanks, I read through that thread, but it is all in reference to the empty wiring harness that is no longer there :(

I got a FineVu, which sounds similar but is a different company. I've been told that the overheating issues w/ the BlackVue have been resolved as well -- but the price was right on this one through Massdrop. I may try the Houston service center first, and if not a radio shop -- but I'd rather just be able to take care of it myself.

Thanks, I read through that thread, but it is all in reference to the empty wiring harness that is no longer there :(

I got a FineVu, which sounds similar but is a different company. I've been told that the overheating issues w/ the BlackVue have been resolved as well -- but the price was right on this one through Massdrop. I may try the Houston service center first, and if not a radio shop -- but I'd rather just be able to take care of it myself.

You watch, this thread will get merged with that thread! :)

A different company is the important thing. IMO, it doesn't matter if Pittasoft (the company behind BlackVue) has fixed the overheating problems. They do not stand behind their products, and that's reason enough to stay away.