Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Considering to purchase 2016 Model S 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all!

Looking for some advice on what I think will likely be my next car. I am in the market to purchase a used car and have been eyeing a used Tesla model S. I was looking for a 100D but most are more than I want to spend.

I have found a 2016 model S 90D that seems to fit many of the things I’m looking for. The car has about 2 years of battery / DU remaining. It is the 90D which I have tried researching and see that I think it has the v3 battery (1088790-00-A - confirmed). Car has about 80k miles on it. I would like to ideally keep the car for 7-10 years with no major expenses. What is everyone’s take on the refreshed 2016.5 90D and the durability/reliability? Been doing research but seems like you can’t really tell how battery/du last. Car has estimated range of 255 miles at full charge.

Go for it, but pretty sure its AP1, can't have updated AP HW. Unles u meant something else by 2016.5
I have 2016 MX 90D, with 84k mi rn, so far so good.

Have a look here:

Go for it! I bought a 2016 90D 1.5 years ago and been very happy 20k miles later. Only repairs so far are a door handle which cost $300 and a few maintenance items like alignment and 12v battery. Mine is still on MCU1 which is giving me a few annoying issues with slowness and restarts but if you have MCU2 then you should be in great shape.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Go for it! I bought a 2016 90D 1.5 years ago and been very happy 20k miles later. Only repairs so far are a door handle which cost $300 and a few maintenance items like alignment and 12v battery. Mine is still on MCU1 which is giving me a few annoying issues with slowness and restarts but if you have MCU2 then you should be in great shape.
How many miles do you have on there? Do we know if battery degrades/fails with more time or usage? I was ideally looking for a lower mileage car but I was always under the assumption that these cars run to like 300k with no issues (which after research don’t think holds to be true).

Go for it, but pretty sure its AP1, can't have updated AP HW. Unles u meant something else by 2016.5
I have 2016 MX 90D, with 84k mi rn, so far so good.

Have a look here:
Descriptions of 2016 models, even using the 'refresh' reference to the revised from fascia is a bit complicated.

Cars from late April the the new front end stying was introduced up until mid Oct 2016 are AP1. Cars produced after mid October are the new 8-camera, Tesla vision based system. That's most commonly referred to as AP2. I suspect is this car is a post mid-Oct build, so originally AP2 as that best matches OPs comments of close to 2 years battery and DU warranty left..

How many miles do you have on there? Do we know if battery degrades/fails with more time or usage? I was ideally looking for a lower mileage car but I was always under the assumption that these cars run to like 300k with no issues (which after research don’t think holds to be true).
Battery degradation is a combination of both usage and time. I do not know you can say either one is the dominate factor.

My MS90D is a June 2016 produced AP1 version. I've posted recently plot of my apparent battery capacity over time in another thread where OP was also looking at possibly a used 90D. I'm actually at about 268-270 rated miles full charge with 75k total miles driven, so similar age/usage.

I had a rear drive unit replaced quite early on (at about 2 years). I'm had a couple door handles rebuilt, replaced the 12V battery twice (once under warranty, once at my expense), driver outside mirror (within first year under warranty), and three headlamp assemblies due to the daytime running lamp "eyebrow" yellowing/failing. The three headlights were all under warranty, but my passenger side is again showing yellowing starting to progress, That's more cosmetic than functional, so I'm not in any hurry to replace it as the light assemblies are quite expensive.

Good luck on your decision,

I bought a 2015 (nov) P85D right at 4 years ago from Tesla, with a 4 year (which is about to expire) warranty (battery / motors warrantied until Nov). It's been a great car, very few problems all covered by Tesla (most by mobile which is nice since I live a fair distance from a TSC). With my warranties expiring I've been thinking a lot about whether to move on or hold on to it. I've tentatively decided to hold on to it, but with the realization that there could be some substantial repair costs in the future. My thinking is that even if I have to replace the battery (or DU's) it's still WAY cheaper than a new MS and I still very much like and enjoy driving the car!

Reactions: pilotSteve
Descriptions of 2016 models, even using the 'refresh' reference to the revised from fascia is a bit complicated.

Cars from late April the the new front end stying was introduced up until mid Oct 2016 are AP1. Cars produced after mid October are the new 8-camera, Tesla vision based system. That's most commonly referred to as AP2. I suspect is this car is a post mid-Oct build, so originally AP2 as that best matches OPs comments of close to 2 years battery and DU warranty left..
Correct this car is the later build with what was probably AP2 at the time, but seller purchased FSD, so it should have AP3/FSD hardware.

My warranty will be up in mid-2024 on my 2016 90D. I'm also wondering about whether it makes sense to keep the car much beyond that.

What's the failure rate of the drive unit and battery and what's the current out of pocket cost to fix/replace?

2016.5 confused me...
That usually referred to as a month, 5=May
Should be great car!
I would not say there is any form of standard and the description of a "usually" is a highly subjective term.

I have experienced for many years working in automotive industry related projects where a .5 reference had nothing to do with build month, but referencing a mid-model year revision of some form. So from that experience I would have said that 2016.5 "usually referred to a mid-year semi major model revision, not a build month. I think you will find that many have used the 2016.5 reference to refer to the update of the front fascia and other changes that were implemented in late April 2016 timeframe.

Reactions: XCare EV and Npate2
Hi all!

Looking for some advice on what I think will likely be my next car. I am in the market to purchase a used car and have been eyeing a used Tesla model S. I was looking for a 100D but most are more than I want to spend.

I have found a 2016 model S 90D that seems to fit many of the things I’m looking for. The car has about 2 years of battery / DU remaining. It is the 90D which I have tried researching and see that I think it has the v3 battery (1088790-00-A - confirmed). Car has about 80k miles on it. I would like to ideally keep the car for 7-10 years with no major expenses. What is everyone’s take on the refreshed 2016.5 90D and the durability/reliability? Been doing research but seems like you can’t really tell how battery/du last. Car has estimated range of 255 miles at full charge.
Hi Npate, I have a 2016 model S 90D in mint condition. Taupe color, elegant interior. Mileage is 23+K. Always garaged. I am looking to sell it. I live in Denver,CO. It has a few small scratches on the front bumper but otherwise it is pristine. I'll attach a vehicle report from a few days ago. You can contact me via email [email protected]

Attachments

• TESLA REPORT.pdf
    611.3 KB · Views: 131