Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Connecting to Powerwall - Error & solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Connecting to Powerwall (error message)
I'm going to impersonate 'Carnac the Magnificent' and provide an answer for a question that no one has asked (just in case someone searches for it like I did).

I had my vehicle plugged in and Charge on Solar (CoS) was already setup and had been working properly for weeks. I made a change to my wi-fi by adding a mesh network as a second router, with the same network name. The new setup tested fine and everything else in the house worked fine on the new wi-fi setup.

I checked the energy section of the Tesla app to see if my vehicle was charging and it wasn't. I swiped to the vehicle section and again it wasn't charging. There was a message saying "Connecting to Powerwall". I searched extensively but didn't find a solution. I thought I'd need to reset the solar gateway as is explained in the Powerwall+ won't connect to Wifi thread (I didn't need to do the reset).

I tried a few things before doing the gateway reset. Neither restarting the app nor restarting the phone made any difference. The simple solution was to remove the charge cable and re-insert it...presto...everything started operating normally. I hope this saves someone a few minutes.

Last edited:
I'm getting the same 'Charge on solar error,' but I am getting it repeatedly. Any thoughts beyond constantly unplugging and re-plugging in the car? I have two systems at different locations, and they both do this repeated. And I should further note that this will happen with both of our MY's. Note that we also thought there was something going on with the wifi, but all seems good, and there have been no changes to these systems.