Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Configuration changes after VIN assignment (lose premium connectivity)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jedi2155

Model 3 has Arrived.
Jul 6, 2018
Upland, CA
So just wanted to let anyone know in case you're wondering about configuration changes, that if you're already assigned a VIN, the only way they can do a configuration change is by canceling your entire order and making a new one based on the latest configuration options. In this case it means I'll lose my premium connectivity and be subjected to the latest price increases.

That would essentially reset your position, and subject you to the terms at the time of your latest configuration. In my case, I ordered 6/30 and was able to make edits without loss of the connectivity until my VIN was assigned after which any further change would require a new order.

Was going to try to upgrade to a Performance model from my RWD, but the extra cost of the price increases ($1000 for AWD, $500 for paint, assuming $1000 for 10 years of premium connectivity) on top of the original $14,000 for the P cost was just too much and I stuck with the RWD model after all.

Just wanted to let you guys know.

So just wanted to let anyone know in case you're wondering about configuration changes, that if you're already assigned a VIN, the only way they can do a configuration change is by canceling your entire order and making a new one based on the latest configuration options. In this case it means I'll lose my premium connectivity and be subjected to the latest price increases.

That would essentially reset your position, and subject you to the terms at the time of your latest configuration. In my case, I ordered 6/30 and was able to make edits without loss of the connectivity until my VIN was assigned after which any further change would require a new order.

Was going to try to upgrade to a Performance model from my RWD, but the extra cost of the price increases ($1000 for AWD, $500 for paint, assuming $1000 for 10 years of premium connectivity) on top of the original $14,000 for the P cost was just too much and I stuck with the RWD model after all.

Just wanted to let you guys know.

Some people are turning in their RWD for P after just 500 miles.

$500 for paint, and $1000 for premium connectivity is way cheaper than regret.

On the plus and plus, I think Unlimited SC is better than premium connectivity.

• Disagree
Reactions: tvisdog and rdlink
Hmmm, did not know that, so its not as bad as I thought....maybe it was what was throwing off my calculation. I might do this.

The free supercharging is complicated bonus because if I stick with time-of-use at home charging, its only about $400-500/year to charge the car (I pay $0.09/kwh). But this means i doin't use the AC at home during peak times (which is @ $0.46/kwh) so....supercharging allows me to use the AC again.....ahhh.....

Hmmm, did not know that, so its not as bad as I thought....maybe it was what was throwing off my calculation. I might do this.

The free supercharging is complicated bonus because if I stick with time-of-use at home charging, its only about $400-500/year to charge the car (I pay $0.09/kwh). But this means i doin't use the AC at home during peak times (which is @ $0.46/kwh) so....supercharging allows me to use the AC again.....ahhh.....

A big determinate is holding time.

Best value period is just going to be the 3-AWD.

It is a very expensive 1 second to go to 3-P. Since my anticipated holding time is 10 years, I went ahead for the P3.

Value for $, here is how I would rank Tesla choices

1.) 3-AWD
2.) 3-P
3.) Second hand S-P85
4.) New S75D
5.) 3-LR

It's probably not practical though. I mean unless it won't eat into your day. Free is nice, but not if I have to wait for a 1/2 hour every day after work.

I'm in the same situation I wont want to use AC or Dryer from 4-9:00 to balance energy costs...

That means I need to get the house down to like 60 degrees by 4:00 so it can ramp back up to 90 over that period of time. But even doing that is going to cost more power so..... I'll just have to run the AC anyways. I'm thinking set it to 78 until 1:00 then 65 1:00-4:00 then set it to 80 after 4:00 might work.

Maybe a diesel generator to run the AC would make sense, I think it might be cheaper with red dye diesel than paying the power company!

Right now I just set it between 78 and 80.

It's probably not practical though. I mean unless it won't eat into your day. Free is nice, but not if I have to wait for a 1/2 hour every day after work.

It doesn't really eat into my day because of the location of the supercharger next to a shopping area, the supercharge is RIGHT before where traffic gets bad on my way home, and I only need to do it once or twice a week versus daily as one might expect. The only question is the volume of vehicles in that corridor.

The cost electricity on a standard tiered rate is roughly $0.20-0.25/kWh which means adding the Tesla would cost about $1400/year. Cost calculation is relatively simple at
Miles Per Year: 20,000 / 300 miles/charge = 66.6 charges
Energy Charge: 86 kWh AC (EPA document)
Total energy per year: 5733 KWh

I'm planning on doing a lot of road trips with the 3 which is why I decided to go with the more efficient vehicle (AWD->RWD) originally but with free supercharging I can just say screw it and enjoy the performance. Plus I'm worried about resale value once the standard range models come in, everyone is going to have a Model 3 so the LR stock models wont be as attractive on the resale market.

I'm aiming for the 6-10 year ownership time frame too. Premium connectivity is $500 (@$100/year + 1 year free).

THATS IT I'M GOING TO P RIGHT NOW.

Reactions: MXWing
It doesn't really eat into my day because of the location of the supercharger next to a shopping area, the supercharge is RIGHT before where traffic gets bad on my way home, and I only need to do it once or twice a week versus daily as one might expect. The only question is the volume of vehicles in that corridor.

The cost electricity on a standard tiered rate is roughly $0.20-0.25/kWh which means adding the Tesla would cost about $1400/year. Cost calculation is relatively simple at
Miles Per Year: 20,000 / 300 miles/charge = 66.6 charges
Energy Charge: 86 kWh AC (EPA document)
Total energy per year: 5733 KWh

I'm planning on doing a lot of road trips with the 3 which is why I decided to go with the more efficient vehicle (AWD->RWD) originally but with free supercharging I can just say screw it and enjoy the performance. Plus I'm worried about resale value once the standard range models come in, everyone is going to have a Model 3 so the LR stock models wont be as attractive on the resale market.

I'm aiming for the 6-10 year ownership time frame too. Premium connectivity is $500 (@$100/year + 1 year free).

THATS IT I'M GOING TO P RIGHT NOW.

Assuming you don't have tremendous opportunity costs elsewhere, you made the right move.

I do cost benefit, cost effective analysis decisions every day and this is easy choice.

Tesla should have charged $6K to go from LR to AWD. Demand was completely inelastic at the $4K level.

Last edited:
Assuming you don't have tremendous opportunity costs elsewhere, you made the right move.
I have do cost benefit, cost effective analysis decisions every day and this is easy choice.
Tesla should have charged $6K to go from LR to AWD. Demand was completely inelastic at the $4K level.

Those 30 minutes, I would spend reading, sleeping, working on a laptop while charging. I've been doing the EV charging and waiting game for 6 years now (for much longer periods of time) so i've made it work around my life already.

In regards to the inelastic AWD demand this is a nice chart.
Dj2-_LaVAAEoeMA.jpg:large

• Love
Reactions: MXWing
I finally got a semi updated contract with skme very odd number lol. I'll be waiting a few days before I correct some, but it looks like they're charging me the old price for paint and delivery fee!

Apparently my model 3 is included with the performance option :D

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20180815-154335_Drive.jpg
    SmartSelect_20180815-154335_Drive.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 80
*UPDATE*

Looks like they changed the order date to the original configuration date (previously it showed 8/15), which means I got the old pricing as well as Lifetime Premium connectivity! I'm not sure if my referral code still applied though.....

Attachments

• MVPA Confirm.png
    MVPA Confirm.png
    67.5 KB · Views: 71