Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Condo Install Experience & Pictures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice! Thanks for posting the added info!

Perhaps they used 8 awg for the car charger (when 10 might have been OK but they upsized wisely due to distance). Then perhaps those other ones were 10awg (when normally 12 awg would be ok for a 20a circuit).

Looks like a good install.

I need to clarify a previous statement I made:

I said you might be able to use up to a 50a breaker on that 8 awg wire in conduit. That is true, but not in your situation since you have to down rate the wire because you have more than three current carrying conductors in a single conduit. You have four current carrying conductors in that conduit.

You might still be able to do a 40a circuit, but we would need to talk ambient temperatures as you can also have to derate wire due to hot temps.

They definitely used 8 awg for the HPWC - that is the one thing I confirmed with the electrician.

Thanks for the feedback! I have no interest in going beyond 30 amp, but if a future owner wanted to, I suppose they could always remove the 120v outlet and pull the extra wiring out of the conduit. Per the load calculation, they'd either need to go with a larger panel (its 100A) or install something like a DCC-10.

Reactions: eprosenx
Forgot that you asked for a pic of the main panel in the house. Here it is. Master disconnect is adjacent to the meter outside. It's a Cutler-Hammer BR Loadcenter, 125A Max. I'll get you some details from the main disconnect by the meter if I can find anything this weekend.

Hot water and heat is gas, there's a central AC unit on the roof. Washer/Dryer is a combined unit with a condensing dryer.

Attachments

• IMG_4212.jpg
    IMG_4212.jpg
    356.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited: