Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Concerns of purchasing used Performance Lud car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Missing rest of my post---

Only thing to really be concerned with is axle wear as it tends to wear those out with too many ludicrous launches. Obviously check over for tire wear all the cars are bad about it... especially inner. Battery degradation--- good luck getting them to listen to you on that unless an actual fault is detected. If you lose 10-20 over what it's rated for they will look into but tell you its normal or how you drive depending on the drive cycle you get them to analyze.

are we still talking about cars

I bought my model S last year through the CPO program. 2015 P85D with all options available for under $50,000. I can't find one now with the same option at the same price. I'm not sure there is a recent price drops of Tesla used vehicles.
I'm looking to get a used P85D under $50k right now, and I agree, they're all high mileage at this price point right now. Curious, how many miles were on yours when you bought it?

I’m in the process of buying a ‘14 P85D from Tesla Used. It was well optioned with AP1 and listed at $48,600 a few days ago. It has 66,xxx miles and only a 2 year / 33K Tesla warranty with it. Photos show a fair bit of wear, paint chips, etc but I can accept dings and chips at that price since I have kids riding bikes in the driveway and garage anyway.

Reactions: EVguy77
I’m in the process of buying a ‘14 P85D from Tesla Used. It was well optioned with AP1 and listed at $48,600 a few days ago. It has 66,xxx miles and only a 2 year / 33K Tesla warranty with it. Photos show a fair bit of wear, paint chips, etc but I can accept dings and chips at that price since I have kids riding bikes in the driveway and garage anyway.
I looked at that one and others like it. My concern is in 2 years we would have a car with 90k miles and no warranty.

When I got a P85DL loaner from my service center, I kept constantly flooring and abusing it for those 3-4 days I had it. Tesla will never tell you if this happened or not with the car you're buying from them, therefore it's a (big?) risk. Especially if they used it as a loaner before selling it. I wouldn't consider it.

Not to mention how dirty the car was when they loaned it to me, both inside and outside. It smelled like cow dung. My first stop was a car wash. They just don't give a damn, and don't force owners to give a damn either.

Last edited:
When I got a P85DL loaner from my service center, I kept constantly flooring and abusing it for those 3-4 days I had it. Tesla will never tell you if this happened or not with the car you're buying from them, therefore it's a (big?) risk. Especially if they used it as a loaner before selling it. I wouldn't consider it.
I personally would only care a little bit. I once bought a Chrysler Sebring convertible. I learned later it had been a fleet rental car. That fact didn’t bother me. What bothered me was Chrysler refused to fix the broken driver seat belt retractor or apply the updated firmware for the transmission because it had been a rental.
If Tesla will back the car with a factory-level warranty and fix things that need fixing I personally don’t car if the car came from Enterprise, Tesla Showroom, Tesla test-drive mule etc.
I’m buying a USED car, NOT A NEW ONE. If you demand perfection Tesla makes brand new cars. If you want a better deal/ value then you HUNT for the right car/price/condition.

I personally would only care a little bit. I once bought a Chrysler Sebring convertible. I learned later it had been a fleet rental car. That fact didn’t bother me. What bothered me was Chrysler refused to fix the broken driver seat belt retractor or apply the updated firmware for the transmission because it had been a rental.
If Tesla will back the car with a factory-level warranty and fix things that need fixing I personally don’t car if the car came from Enterprise, Tesla Showroom, Tesla test-drive mule etc.
I’m buying a USED car, NOT A NEW ONE. If you demand perfection Tesla makes brand new cars. If you want a better deal/ value then you HUNT for the right car/price/condition.

I agree. The point of what I said specifically was about two things:
1) Tesla doesn't want to respect warranty much these days. They seem to avoid wanting to fix anything if they can.
2) If you want a P car, buy it new.

I agree. The point of what I said specifically was about two things:
1) Tesla doesn't want to respect warranty much these days. They seem to avoid wanting to fix anything if they can.
2) If you want a P car, buy it new.

I don't know what evidence there's to suggest that P cars do worse with higher mileage than regular cars.

I'm taking delivery of an inventory P100D with 5000 miles on the odometer this Saturday. Not sure whether it was a loaner or a showroom/demo vehicle. But I guess we'll see how well it holds up.

I don't know what evidence there's to suggest that P cars do worse with higher mileage than regular cars.

I'm taking delivery of an inventory P100D with 5000 miles on the odometer this Saturday. Not sure whether it was a loaner or a showroom/demo vehicle. But I guess we'll see how well it holds up.

I would certainly feel more comfortable doing that than buying a P with 60k miles. Enjoy it!