Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Comprehensive USB Bug List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to add my 2c, although I haven't been logging scientifically, I too believe that with .114 there are more rescans, and also that a full rescan seems slower.

Plus all the usual annoyances when it actually finishes the scan and hijacks the UI completely (I fix that by going to USB and selecting a different song, which it allows me to do, then I can change source etc. normally).

• Informative
Reactions: BertL
Part II -- It gets worse

So, as you may remember from my previous post above, I had what I thought were increased USB rescans with .114 back on Sunday.

I have again not driven my MS until this morning. It has not been further charged, but is well over 170 miles of RR. Jumped-in to my MS, and what do you know? My USB music was playing. It was a great way to start the day -- or so I thought. Touching the CID, I attempted to open my garage door, change to my driver profile, and nothing. The CID looked normal enough, my map on the top and USB music info for the track I was playing on the bottom -- but the CID was 100% unresponsive to all touches. What it did do is briefly show sort of a bright blip in the upper left corner of the display each time I touched the display, so it wasn't completely dead. I rebooted the CID using both scroll wheels, and quickly enough Homelink and my profile were accessible again. USB rescan began. I backed-out and was on my way. Then I notice all the larger MP favorites icons (FM, Slacker, and USB) have lost their graphic... The icons themselves are still there, but FM has the station number but no image to go with it, and same with the others (this is the way former releases acted upon full CID reboot, but not in more recent releases like .40 from my experience). USB rescan eventually completed and this time instead of the USB track that was playing restarting (as has been the case since 8.0, thank you Tesla), the album art for the track appeared and the infamous "loading error" message appeared. Using the workaround most of us have figured-out by now with 8.0, I switch to FM and back to USB, make a track selection and it begins playing.

My net? 2.50.114 has introduced some new anomolies with perhaps additional USB rescans, CID lockups, and CID reboots seem to be acting differently in what is consistently cleared within MP (release-to-release or reboot-to-reboot, IDK). OH BOY. :confused: ...and to those that think some of us are just complaining or this is insignificant, well, it's these sort of continual annoyances that totally take away from my personal Tesla enjoyment. There just is no excuse for a premium engineering firm to put their owners that care through these sort of things over-and-over-and-over.

Not insignificant at all. I've been pretty pissed that I have to keep fixing my EQ settings every day now. Perhaps a Mars easter egg and Christmas light show, however cool, should have been delayed so as to focus on PITA items. Using this BT paired old phone as my media player has really caused me anger that I should have to keep an extra device charged in the car to play music. The more infuriating part is that if the phone leaves the car, reboots, firmware updates, catches on fire, etc, IT WILL STILL RESUME FROM THE LAST PART OF THE SONG IT WAS PAUSED, unlike the car's MP.

In addition, we had a little family crisis over the holidays. Because of the tag info not updating, we renamed the USB device and changed the folder structure on USB storage. Well now we lost all the favorites. Kid's were despondent that all those Favorites we had worked on were wiped out. Older one has this idea we don't need favorites, we can just do voice search. Sorry kid, only one song from that artist will play if we use the search function. Queue the tears......

• Love
Reactions: neroden
It is just so freaking mysterious that .114 is the very first release where I haven't been plagued by constant rescans, whereas a bunch of you are reporting the opposite. I wonder if there's some method to the madness, or just chance.
Yeah, fortunately for me I'm not affected by these things for some strange reason. BTW what kind of USB device are you using?

Running .114 with Patriot 512GB. Still rescanning occasionally, particularly with first use of day (stick is always in).

Just got a new Album number today: 148. So have 146, 148, 149 & 150 as the album "count". Did the math today and I have only 142 albums on stick so go figure (perhaps a few nested folders being counted????). btw: "favorite" songs have disappeared.

Yes, EQ needs to be adjusted every day and yes, XM radio doesn't have a station menu and I can only adjust 1 station at a time beyond hitting favorites.

Last edited:
Interesting, that's the same one I have with over 7k tracks.
Not interesting to me. As described in some detail earlier, I'm fairly convinced that individual sticks from the same mfgr (and different mfgrs) can have very different effects on how Tesla's outdated OS handles it or not. I really do believe Tesla is lacking in basic USB support and error recovery that make most of these USB devices work just fine in other devices, and that is part of the reason some of us see such variation in our Tesla MP USB expecience... We'll see if Elon's delayed delivery of an updated OS (and likely 8.1 at the same time) improves things for a majority of us having continued rescan and odd USB (or perhaps related) issues. Given the track record, I'm not holding my breath, but will be the first to acknowledge a pleasant surprise if REAL improvement are delivered.

Just be happy you don't have issues, and don't touch anything!!! :). Enjoy that MS!

• Love
Not interesting to me. As described in some detail earlier, I'm fairly convinced that individual sticks from the same mfgr (and different mfgrs) can have very different effects on how Tesla's outdated OS handles it or not. I really do believe Tesla is lacking in basic USB support and error recovery that make most of these USB devices work just fine in other devices, and that is part of the reason some of us see such variation in our Tesla MP USB expecience... We'll see if Elon's delayed delivery of an updated OS (and likely 8.1 at the same time) improves things for a majority of us having continued rescan and odd USB (or perhaps related) issues. Given the track record, I'm not holding my breath, but will be the first to acknowledge a pleasant surprise if REAL improvement are delivered.

Just be happy you don't have issues, and don't touch anything!!! :). Enjoy that MS!
So it's still not safe to go back to USB audio is what you are saying.

• Love

Yeah I won't touch anything. In fact I never remove it from the port. ;). I do remember you also had the PNY 256G but still had excessive scan times.

• Love
After installing 2.50.114 I had complained that I was getting rescans all the time, now it seems that I have not had one in over a week.:) I have, to my knowledge, done nothing differently.

My favorites are still there also. They disappeared after many of the previous rescans. Now the only major remaining problem is, as so many have reported, the resetting of the equalizer. I just don't bother with it now. I was having a problem with the fader control as it would arbitrarily move off center and to the side, but I don't think it is doing so now.

I have not changed any hardware (using a My Digital SSD 256 gb drive), nor have I changed any of the software. It just seems to be working now. I have 238gb (approx 18,000 songs.

It is possible that it is rescanning when I am not using the car, but I don't have any evidence of that. I did notice that the last time it did rescan (over a week ago) it scanned in about 1/5th the time it had been taking 2.42.40 which was over 2 hours.

Yes, there are other smaller problems (album covers not showing up, music starting when I first open the door, Tune-in favorites album covers greyed out, and so forth, but, at least no rescans of which I am aware.

I do remember circling the car 4 times and chanting an ancient Celtic chant while holding an idol in my left hand. Maybe that's what did it!:)

After installing 2.50.114 I had complained that I was getting rescans all the time, now it seems that I have not had one in over a week.:) I have, to my knowledge, done nothing differently.

My favorites are still there also. They disappeared after many of the previous rescans. Now the only major remaining problem is, as so many have reported, the resetting of the equalizer. I just don't bother with it now. I was having a problem with the fader control as it would arbitrarily move off center and to the side, but I don't think it is doing so now.

I have not changed any hardware (using a My Digital SSD 256 gb drive), nor have I changed any of the software. It just seems to be working now. I have 238gb (approx 18,000 songs.

It is possible that it is rescanning when I am not using the car, but I don't have any evidence of that. I did notice that the last time it did rescan (over a week ago) it scanned in about 1/5th the time it had been taking 2.42.40 which was over 2 hours.

Yes, there are other smaller problems (album covers not showing up, music starting when I first open the door, Tune-in favorites album covers greyed out, and so forth, but, at least no rescans of which I am aware.

I do remember circling the car 4 times and chanting an ancient Celtic chant while holding an idol in my left hand. Maybe that's what did it!:)
Wait, could random be fixed now???

This will probably jinx me, but since my car received the 2.50.114 update on 12/22, I have not seen it rescan the USB. Before then it was rescanning almost every day or two, sometimes several times a day. The same USB stick is still plugged in, I haven't removed it or changed any files on it for weeks. (Unlike @PaulR I don't know any ancient Celtic chants, so that can't be the reason...)

Reactions: jgs
This will probably jinx me, but since my car received the 2.50.114 update on 12/22, I have not seen it rescan the USB. Before then it was rescanning almost every day or two, sometimes several times a day. The same USB stick is still plugged in, I haven't removed it or changed any files on it for weeks. (Unlike @PaulR I don't know any ancient Celtic chants, so that can't be the reason...)

I got it! Finally figured it out.... didn't work for a week, but does so now = "calibration" :)

• Funny
Reactions: thecloud
Part II -- It gets worse

So, as you may remember from my previous post above, I had what I thought were increased USB rescans with .114 back on Sunday.

I have again not driven my MS until this morning. It has not been further charged, but is well over 170 miles of RR. Jumped-in to my MS, and what do you know? My USB music was playing. It was a great way to start the day -- or so I thought. Touching the CID, I attempted to open my garage door, change to my driver profile, and nothing. The CID looked normal enough, my map on the top and USB music info for the track I was playing on the bottom -- but the CID was 100% unresponsive to all touches. What it did do is briefly show sort of a bright blip in the upper left corner of the display each time I touched the display, so it wasn't completely dead. I rebooted the CID using both scroll wheels, and quickly enough Homelink and my profile were accessible again. USB rescan began. I backed-out and was on my way. Then I notice all the larger MP favorites icons (FM, Slacker, and USB) have lost their graphic... The icons themselves are still there, but FM has the station number but no image to go with it, and same with the others (this is the way former releases acted upon full CID reboot, but not in more recent releases like .40 from my experience). USB rescan eventually completed and this time instead of the USB track that was playing restarting (as has been the case since 8.0, thank you Tesla), the album art for the track appeared and the infamous "loading error" message appeared. Using the workaround most of us have figured-out by now with 8.0, I switch to FM and back to USB, make a track selection and it begins playing.

My net? 2.50.114 has introduced some new anomolies with perhaps additional USB rescans, CID lockups, and CID reboots seem to be acting differently in what is consistently cleared within MP (release-to-release or reboot-to-reboot, IDK). OH BOY. :confused: ...and to those that think some of us are just complaining or this is insignificant, well, it's these sort of continual annoyances that totally take away from my personal Tesla enjoyment. There just is no excuse for a premium engineering firm to put their owners that care through these sort of things over-and-over-and-over.
Part III -- Yes, It Can Get Even Worse

Had another occurrence of the CID hang, etc as described previously with 2.50.114 this weekend. Rebooted, and continued along.

This afternoon, I went out to do some errands, and here we go again (4th occurrence with .114). Non-responsive CID with the lighted upper left corner responding whenever I touch the display, but no music playing. I reboot, backup and get on my way. Upon completion of the reboot, some new little things happened with Media Player:
- Album Art was blank (just the default note symbol), but a 3/4 circular black arrow icon displayed over it, along with "Loading Error". Never have seen the circular icon before!
- I touch the new circular arrow...
- Music begins playing, BUT, no Album Art and NO metadata. (See Photo 1). Note the name of the track now contains the .flac appendage, aka, MP is displaying the physical filename, not the Album Tag data.​
This is the same USB stick I've been using since .40. I guarantee there is full metadata and album art on 100% of the tracks. To prove it, I check the USB screen and yes, my tracks are available by album, artist, etc. SO MP is using the data, now just not displaying it. (See Photo 2).

I have tried switching media sources, doing a full reboot (with foot on the brake version), removed and reinserted the USB stick to force a rescan, went to selected songs I know have album art and metadata that I was listening to recently in my MS with the same stick, and even checked my firmware release to see if any sorta magic may have occurred -- no, I'm still on 2.50.114. Anyway, IMHO this is certainly an issue with Tesla Software Quality ... Beyond the CID Hang which is new with .114, tracks are recognized and played, metadata is used via the scan/rescan process, but NOT used for display when a track is played back. FRUSTRATING. FRUSTRATING. FRUSTRATING.

I have no intention of reporting this to Tesla, as with my SvC backlog, it would be weeks before I could get in, and even then, there is nothing they can do with firmware ...and 8.1 will likely change the playing field once again -- and perhaps hit before my appointment becomes available. Maybe there is a Tesla employee scanning this thread -- but I won't hold my breath. (Sorry, yes, I am pretty miffed. Time for a glass of wine I think!) ;)

On a side note...

When I removed my USB stick and left it out for awhile since I was driving, MP switched over to my iPhone and the last song I was listening to. Interestingly, the Album Art did not match anything I was familiar with. When I stopped, I checked, and sure enough, the displayed Album Art for the track was nothing I've ever listened to before ... meaning, I now believe firmly that there remains leftover code still going out to Gracenotes to grab Album Art in certain situations... Exactly what all those may be, only the Tesla Engineers may know. Sigh.
The Evidence
Photo 1: Photo 1.jpg
Photo 2: Photo 2.jpg

...and BTW, I'm glad for those not having issues. Please don't rub it in by saying so again! I know who you are! :rolleyes:

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden and Boatguy