Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Collective noun for a group of Teslas

Which are your favorite collective names for a group of Teslas?

• A Battery of Teslas

Votes: 18 23.4%
  • A Bolt of Teslas

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • A Charge of Teslas

Votes: 18 23.4%
  • A Coil of Teslas

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • A Current of Teslas

Votes: 4 5.2%
  • A Drive of Teslas

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • A Grin of Teslas

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • A Pack of Teslas

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • A Wave of Teslas

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • A Whisper of Teslas

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
lorencc said:
A bolt of Teslas. (double pun: lightning & quick acceleration)

... I think either "bolt" or "charge" would do nicely.

Bolt is taken,

fabric%20stack.jpg

Coil!

To go along with "Battery of Teslas" would be "Pack of Teslas".
(Batteries tend to travel in packs)

But we have it easy... At least I think we agree that "Teslas" is plural.

Not so easy for the Prius folks:

Octopus -> Octopai
Fungus -> Fungai
Prius->Priai ? Prius-> Priuses?
TOYOTA OPEN ROAD BLOG: The Plural of Prius
But what’s the plural of Prius? How do you describe a gaggle of them in a row at a stop light, or parked fender-to-fender at your local mall? Are they Priuses? Or are they Prii, or are they something else? The correct answer, it seems, is probably "something else."
A piece we found on a Website associated with an eastern big-city newspaper claims, for example, that the word "prius" is actually the neuter form of prior. That, it says, is a comparative adjective that means ‘earlier, anterior, superior.’ Its plural would be, the piece says, prioria.
Wikipedia, meanwhile, everybody’s favorite non-binding, non-authoritative authority, has this to say:
"Some enthusiasts enjoy using Prii as the plural, which would be correct if prius were a regular second declension Latin noun. The actual Latin plural of the adjective is priora."
And a blogger who admits to never having taken a class in Latin, chimes in with the suggestion that it’s not surprising that folks might guess that the plural of Prius is Priuses, or maybe the more erudite Prii. But she supports the view that the plural of Prius is Priora.

Not gaggle.... makes it sounds like a bunch of turkeys.
I also don't like terms related to quantum mechanics. Nikola Tesla is known for E&M, not so much quantum (except perhaps among fans of pseudo-science). [ETA: Besides, a "quantum of Teslas" would mean the smallest individual unit of Tesla. Basically the exact opposite of what we're going for.]

Related: Do we have a different collective noun when referring to the make or the model?
For the make, I prefer "a coil of Teslas."
But for the model, I prefer "a charge of Roadsters."
Don't know what to say about the Model S. (Maybe in two days, we'll luck out and find out they changed the name.)

But we have it easy... At least I think we agree that "Teslas" is plural.

Not so easy for the Prius folks:
Not true. Tesla could just as easily be taken to be first declension nominative. In which case, the plural would be Teslae. But lets save that for another thread.

Last edited:
School is to Fish as Gaggle is to Geese...

If not gaggle or school, then probably not drove, flock, herd, horde, or swarm.
Probably not gang, mob, or troop either.

A collection of Teslas (Teslae?) is good because they are collectible.

Crush works:
13. the act of crushing; state of being crushed.
14. a great crowd. a crush of shoppers.
Although, definition 13 above brings back too many memories of EV1.

Last edited:
My favorites so far:

• Rally of Teslas [Rallye of Teslae?] ("a get-together of hobbyists or other like-minded enthusiasts, primarily to meet and socialize.") - Driving and positive political connotations.

• Bolt of Teslas (suggests lightning, arrows, and quick exits.)

School is to Fish as Gaggle is to Geese...

There's a bit of a distinction here:

Swarm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shoal can describe any group of fish, including mixed-species groups, "school" is reserved for more closely knit groups of the same species swimming in a highly synchronized and polarized manner.

Gaggle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A gaggle is a term of venery for a flock of geese that isn't in flight; in flight, the group can be called a skein.

In military slang, a gaggle is an unorganized group doing nothing. In aviation, it is a large, loosely organized tactical formation of aircraft

So I think the former is more 'complementary' :smile:

Crush works:
Although, definition 13 above brings back too many memories of EV1.

This could be a good ironic one, sort of like those derogatory words that some minorities have managed to claim back.