Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cold weather experience with the tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Postscript: We got the lug covers off but had some trouble getting them back on; they were loose and didn't snap into place. I called Roadside to ask what the secret was, and they said I should have had a tool in the case with all the charging gear. I had already looked there, but looked again. Not there, so they're sending me one along with some extra caps in case these fall off. So anyone who cares should see if they have the tool, and if not Tesla will give you one.
I didn't get the lug cap removal tool, and I've not heard of anyone else getting such a tool. I did purchase an Audi lug cap tool from Amazon.
Please post an update if/when you get the tool. I'm skeptical that Tesla provides such a tool to everyone, despite it being a very cheap tool.

I didn't get the lug cap removal tool, and I've not heard of anyone else getting such a tool. I did purchase an Audi lug cap tool from Amazon.
Please post an update if/when you get the tool. I'm skeptical that Tesla provides such a tool to everyone, despite it being a very cheap tool.
And despite a promise to fedex it to me along with extra lug covers, so far neither have I.

OK, I'm a moron, but Tesla gave me some help in that.

First, in my earlier post on the subject of road noise, I called Tesla roadside assistance and they told me I had a particular Michelin tire on my car. Having read the posts about swapping the noisy Michelins for the ContiSilents, I assumed that was correct and ordered 4 of the Continentals. They arrived today and when we went to put them on the car, guess what? That's what I had all along. I know, I know, I should have looked but the rep said she checked my build.... (BTW, I just spoke to roadside assistance, and their notes clearly show they told me that, for what it's worth.)

Unfortunately those are the tires I was complaining were noisy, so that kind of validates a noise study I saw on the web that said the Contis with ContiSilent were not appreciably quieter than without.

Obviously I should have looked myself, but the roadside assistant said she checked my build and those were the tires I had. I've got about 5k on the car, and the flat left front can't be repaired-- a nick in the sidewall--so I'm going to replace both fronts and keep the third as a "spare." Trying to decide whether to return the rears. What is the expected wear life for this car?

Second, and I'm on my own on this one, when the installer arrived today he didn't have a lug socket to fit these lugs, and when I looked in the trubk (in vain) for some sort of tire change kit, what did I find? A tire inflating/sealant pump.... who knew? But I've never bought a car that didn't come with some sort of lug wrench. I assume Tesla does not supply such a thing?

Anyway piority one is the road noise and now I'm back to where I started. Road noise is definitely objectionable on all but smooth asphalt roads. I'm not persuaded that the noise I hear would have been masked by a gasoline engine car, because I haven't sold my BMW 750 yet, and I can tell you it is appreciably quieter than the tesla other than when accelerating. And obviously I have the silent tires. Any thoughts?

Your options are pretty limited here. You can have the tesla guys look for a seal issue or, if that's ok, you can investigate sound deadener options or a non-performance touring tire. As for a seal issue, you can get some blue painters tape and tape aroud the gaps of your doors to see if that makes a difference (just a triage trick).

Artsci has a decent thread on what he had done with regard to sound deadening to his model S on here. Don't expect miracles though as "real" luxury cars like your 7 series have things like double and triple door seals, "quiet steel", thicker glass, and decades of experience making cars more quiet.

You could try to drive on a noisy section of road and record with your phone from the front or rear to see if one area was noisier than others if you elect try sound deadening. If you do try it, what you want is mass loaded vinyl (not the foil covered rubber constrained layer dampening tiles).