Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Six Forgotten Greenhouse Gases Methane is the real problem, not CO2

Six Forgotten Greenhouse Gases | Weather Underground

Methane

You can say it as nicely or scientifically as you’d like, but the bottom line is, cows are farting out a lot of methane and it’s pretty bad for the environment. Methane is produced as a byproduct of microbial life, and many of these microbes live in the guts of cattle, which we keep in large numbers, mostly for beef and dairy products. Methane is also emitted in large quantities from rice paddies, as the microbes need moisture, and rice paddies have a significant amount of it. A 2010 study found that paddies in Cambodia alone emitted nearly 380,000 tons of methane from 2005-2006, the equivalent of burning 16.8 million barrels of oil, according to the EPA. For context, the United States consumed 6.8 billion barrels of oil in 2011, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

Methane is 20 greater threat than CO2

Actually it's not a matter of a game in my opinion.
CO2 produced by ICE cars is responsible of temperature increasing in the world. As temperature increases ice at the North pole melts. As ice melts the salt concentration in the sea decreases. As the salt concentration in the sea decreases the current of the Channel decreases. When the current of the Channel will stop the North side of the Earth will get frozen.

Six Forgotten Greenhouse Gases Methane is the real problem, not CO2

…/ Methane is the real problem, not CO2 /…
And you’re basing that statement on what exactly?

The text/link in your post certainly does not back your statement.

What is methane's contribution to global warming?

What the science says...

/…/

While methane is a more potent greenhouse gas than CO2, there is over 200 times more CO2 in the atmosphere. Eg - CO2 levels are 380 ppm (parts per million) while methane levels are 1.75ppm. Hence the amount of warming methane contributes is calculated at 28% of the warming CO2 contributes. Here is a graph of the various forcings that influence climate (methane is CH4, right above CO2).

ipcc_forcings.jpg

This is not to say methane can be ignored - reducing methane levels is definitely a goal to pursue. The good news is since the early 1990's, the trend in increasing methane has slowed down and even leveled off in the last few years (Dlugokencky 2003).

atmospheric_methane_conc.gif

/...

Source: What is methane's contribution to global warming? | skepticalscience.com

Last edited:
Six Forgotten Greenhouse Gases | Weather Underground

Methane

You can say it as nicely or scientifically as you’d like, but the bottom line is, cows are farting out a lot of methane and it’s pretty bad for the environment. Methane is produced as a byproduct of microbial life, and many of these microbes live in the guts of cattle, which we keep in large numbers, mostly for beef and dairy products. Methane is also emitted in large quantities from rice paddies, as the microbes need moisture, and rice paddies have a significant amount of it. A 2010 study found that paddies in Cambodia alone emitted nearly 380,000 tons of methane from 2005-2006, the equivalent of burning 16.8 million barrels of oil, according to the EPA. For context, the United States consumed 6.8 billion barrels of oil in 2011, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

There is nothing "forgotten" about CH4. It is included in any study in regards to climate change. This is why you read about "CO2 equivalent" as CH4 and other gases are converted in the CO2 for calculation purposes.

Climate repair thus means recapturing the excess carbon dioxide from the air, not merely the smokestack, then stashing it safely for millennia. But by now the cleanup problem has become so large that only the oceans are big enough to do the job within 20 years via more photosynthesis–and then only if the new green stuff is piped down into the ocean depths before it can revert to carbon dioxide.

We have to subtract carbon dioxide, not merely reduce what we add, and that takes a new approach. We need to quickly re-think our approach to the climate problem, just as Tesla re-thought its approach to car design.

Thank you for the good post Professor Calvin giving us a general overview of the main points to be considered about CO2 emissions. I agree completely with you that only reducing CO2 emissions will not work out the issue of CO2 concentration in the atmosphere and that we should also focus on ways to subtract CO2.
Actually the photosynthesis in the oceans could amplify the CO2 subtraction power of the oceans but could this be enough? Also considering the ocean acidification issue?

- - - Updated - - -

That article seems to ignore the faster breakdown of methane, about 10 years, compared to CO2, 100 years.

+ 1

Last edited:
I was thinking to this matter of cleaning up CO2 from the atmosphere. Maybe that some gas combining with CO2 could be sprayed in the atmosphere to lower CO2 concentration?
Just an idea. Maybe that somebody with a better chemical know-how than mine could answer to this question.

Actually hurricanes and tornadoes are caused by Global Warming. Hurricanes are caused when the water on the surface of the Oceans is hot for a deepness of more than 8 meters and sometimes we get also 15 meters of hot water on the surface of the Oceans. For what is concerning tornadoes see post #161 in this thread.

Climate Change / Global Warming Discussion - Page 17

Then I would like to say that also water vapour (H2O) in the atmosphere caused by Global Warming is responsible for Extreme Weather.

- - - Updated - - -

For what is concerning the relationship between Ocean Warming and Global Warming see post #822 (page #83) of this thread.

Media is all about ratings. A significant fraction of Americans don't accept climate change/global warming, and they're likely to tune out media that suggests otherwise.

I know!!!!! A few thousand years ago, I have been told there was a sheet of ice over my location that was over a mile thick!!! And now it is gone. :-(. I have read that this cycle (warm/cold/warm/cold has been going on forever.