Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Climate Change Denial

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: DrGriz and JRP3
Planting trees is good but the Republicans won't actually do anything to plant trees but use it as an excuse to drill.
Reforestation can be good if managed well, but management requires the use of fossil fuels for now, as well as controlled burns. Otherwise it just adds literal fuel to fires that are already burning.

In other words, I think we are past the time when simply planting trees will solve the problem. We need to amazingly scale back fossil fuel burning first.

Reforestation can be good if managed well, but management requires the use of fossil fuels for now, as well as controlled burns. Otherwise it just adds literal fuel to fires that are already burning.

In other words, I think we are past the time when simply planting trees will solve the problem. We need to amazingly scale back fossil fuel burning first.
"Rewilding" of denuded farm/pasture land requires very little installation or maintenance cost and it all can certainly be done without fossil fuels.

"Rewilding" of denuded farm/pasture land requires very little installation or maintenance cost and it all can certainly be done without fossil fuels.
I am talking about the cost of management of forests at a trillion tree level. As it stands, trees burn, and if you want to limit that (or at least try) it comes at a price. I am talking about managing it to prevent catastrophic fires.

For instance, my neighbor's land was managed due to 40 years of neglect, for forest health/wildfire limitation. This is what that looks like.

20230704_095526.jpg

20230718_105302.jpg

So yeah, you are right. I have been letting my little acreage reforest over the last 30 years. It's going well so far. But eventually, like all of my neighbors, I will have to have this done. Or it will burn. It may anyway.

Last edited:
I am talking about the cost of management of forests at a trillion tree level. As it stands, trees burn, and if you want to limit that (or at least try) it comes at a price. I am talking about managing it to prevent catastrophic fires.

For instance, my neighbor's land was managed due to 40 years of neglect, for forest health/wildfire limitation. This is what that looks like.

View attachment 957396
View attachment 957403

So yeah, you are right. I have been letting my little acreage reforest over the last 30 years. It's going well so far. But eventually, like all of my neighbors, I will have to have this done. Or it will burn. It may anyway.

It would help if people stopped living in small holes in forests.

View attachment 957396
View attachment 957403

Interesting.
What will you do with the slash?
Locally, forest management burns a lot of the cleared wood. It would be better to mulch it to improve soil health and avoid putting the captured CO2 plus pollutants back into the atmosphere. (Biochar is even better)

It would help if people stopped living in small holes in forests.
Have you heard about the horrendous, unprecedented fires in Canada? Global warming has changed the "let it burn" approach we all wanted in the 1980s. It doesn't matter if people live in small holes or not, the majority of massive forests are burning or will burn from wildfires. Insect damage directly related to the fact that global warming has allowed them to proliferate (you need deep cold to kill them) has made temperate forests susceptible to burning like never before.

Planting trees just to have them burn and release the carbon they've trapped? A lot of work for little return. Don't get me wrong. I love forests, and there is 10 times the tree mass on my property there was when I moved in. But the reality is it will all burn. It's only a matter of time.

Interesting.
What will you do with the slash?
Locally, forest management burns a lot of the cleared wood. It would be better to mulch it to improve soil health and avoid putting the captured CO2 plus pollutants back into the atmosphere. (Biochar is even better)
I don't know what the neighbors plan to do with their slash. The adjacent state forest piles it up like that and, as you say, mostly burns it. There have been some local experiments: a school in one of the logging communities has been set up to burn chipped slash.

When I cut trees on my property almost all goes into the efficient woodstove and what is left I chip and spread as mulch as you suggest. It's a lot of work and necessarily involves burning some fuel. But I agree that that's the best route.

Reactions: nwdiver and mspohr