Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chicago sales and service center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would go.

Attn Kevin Daly: Lets put this together.

tks,
Jim

I shot Kevin an e-mail (which he VERY promptly replied to)...his reply:

Hi Dr. Fusco,

The construction for our new Chicago location is just getting started, we anticipate the facility being functional and open to the public in 90 to 120 days from now. I'll certainly keep everyone that is local updated with the status of the store as we move forward from here! We are planning a Model S launch party here in Chicago before the store is open. We are currently scouting locations and finalizing the date. There will certainly be a Model S or two in attendance. Hopefully, rides will be available and of course I will extend you a invitation to the event! Thanks for the e-mail and your support Dr. Fusco and I look forward to meeting you in person soon!

Sincerely,

Kevin Daly
Midwest Regional Sales Manager
Tesla Motors Inc.

Whoo hoo! Keep us posted.

I'd like to get in on the Model S party since I intend to purchase one. However, I don't intend to put any money down until mid summer because of other financial obligations. I hope the launch party is open to prospective buyers. If not, I'll just have to lobby them until I get a couple of tickets.

I would concur with Kevin that he's being realistic on the timeline. I pass by the Chicago location every day on my may to my office and while I'm sure that something is going on, there are no outward signs. No exterior changes, no construction crews, etc. yet. I'll definitely post some pictures when there is something to see.

I'm excited for the Model S party! As the good weather sets in, every day is painful waiting for my Roadster...

Whoo hoo! Got a phone call from Kevin Daly today. Nice guy. Looks like my wife and I will be at the Chicago Model S party! We'll be sure to bring the camera and I'll put MT2 on the name tag.

Funny how excited and honored I felt when he called. First he left a voice mail, so I played it back for my wife and her jaw dropped. She sayed she's happy and excited for me. Later it occured to me he's a car salesman. A car salesman! Would I act the same way if he called me when he was selling BMWs?

But still, I'm gushing and want to tell all my friends. This car is not just a game changer, it's a world changer. I firmly beleive the begining of this century will bring the EV to the forefront just as the begining of the last century was the dawning of the ICE vehicle. It's amazing to be part of the revolution.

Whoo hoo! Got a phone call from Kevin Daly today. Nice guy. Looks like my wife and I will be at the Chicago Model S party! We'll be sure to bring the camera and I'll put MT2 on the name tag.

Funny how excited and honored I felt when he called. First he left a voice mail, so I played it back for my wife and her jaw dropped. She sayed she's happy and excited for me. Later it occured to me he's a car salesman. A car salesman! Would I act the same way if he called me when he was selling BMWs?

But still, I'm gushing and want to tell all my friends. This car is not just a game changer, it's a world changer. I firmly beleive the begining of this century will bring the EV to the forefront just as the begining of the last century was the dawning of the ICE vehicle. It's amazing to be part of the revolution.

I haven't heard anything yet. When's the party? I need to plan way ahead considering the distance.

I haven't heard anything yet. When's the party? I need to plan way ahead considering the distance.
Hasn't been determined yet. He said he'd send details late May or June. They would like to have the Model S party at the new store, and I don't recall exactly but it sounded like July. Which may or may not be an issue since my daughter is getting married in July. "Sorry dear, can't walk you down the aisle. Got to go see a guy about a car".

Hasn't been determined yet. He said he'd send details late May or June. They would like to have the Model S party at the new store, and I don't recall exactly but it sounded like July. Which may or may not be an issue since my daughter is getting married in July. "Sorry dear, can't walk you down the aisle. Got to go see a guy about a car".

Thanks for that. July could actually be good for me...there's an event at the Dane County State Fair I like to attend in the 3rd week of July...it would be nice if the timing was right for me to attend both.

Home

It would be great if Tesla could have a display at this event too. Probably the biggest hybrid/ev/alternative energy auto show in the country.

fyi...June 22-26th is the NPE (National Plastics Exposition). There will be 1000's of engineers in town for that. Takes up all of McCormick Expo Center. I will be there and will go to the store either way.

Jim

Ohhh! A chance to hang with a bunch of engineers...may have to free some time up for that!!!:wink:

Just teasing. I actually lived on the ChemE floor of my dorm in college (my roommate was a ChemE, which got me special dispensation to live there too). An entertaining bunch of nerds they were.

Took a look around the Chicago store today. Construction still hasn't started, but will as soon as the permits are approved. I didn't take any pictures, but will as the place starts to change. The plans sound really great for the space. There will be a huge sign with letters about 5 feet tall (so as to be seen easily from the highway, which passes right by the place). Can't wait to see the whole thing develop.

I was told that the Chicago Model S party should be toward the end of June, although it will not be at the new store, since a) it won't be ready, b) the space is too small. They are currently looking for a venue.

Took a look around the Chicago store today. Construction still hasn't started, but will as soon as the permits are approved. I didn't take any pictures, but will as the place starts to change. The plans sound really great for the space. There will be a huge sign with letters about 5 feet tall (so as to be seen easily from the highway, which passes right by the place). Can't wait to see the whole thing develop.

I was told that the Chicago Model S party should be toward the end of June, although it will not be at the new store, since a) it won't be ready, b) the space is too small. They are currently looking for a venue.

Similar information that I got from Kevin in an e-mail yesterday. Sounds like the signage thing was a bit of a PITA, but they finally got it through.

Here's the relevant stuff from the e-mail:
Hi Dr. Fusco,

I'm told Model S sequence positions will still be communicated this month at some point. The interest in the Model S sedan is still amazing, I actually just got my first opportunity to sit in the car in New York last week at the Letterman show. It is absolutely breathtaking in person, even more so than in high res photos. I'm certainly sure we have Model S merchandise in the works, I have yet to see anything just yet but rest assured its in the works.

<snip>

To answer a few of your questions on Teslamotorsclub.com, I'm being told the Chicago launch party will most likely be in late June. We don't have a date or a location just yet but I will certainly give as much notice as I can. We will also have a grand opening party for the Chicago store as soon as it is ready to go. We have been set back a few weeks thus far due to the city of Chicago's zoning and signage department. We are wanting to increase the height of the facade of the building to give it more exposure to the highway. We are now have final plans and we are set to begin construction in the next 10-15 days or so if you want to give the rest of the guys a update for me.

Kind Regards,

Kevin Daly
Midwest Regional Sales Manager
Tesla Motors Inc.

Testing out the Tesla :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Transportation

052509ride_cst_feed_20090524_14_56_43_6699-282-400.imageContent

Wisniewski, who owns T/J Fabricators, a metal parts-making factory, said he ordered the Tesla two years ago because he's troubled by the country's dependence on foreign oil. The car arrived early this month. Only seven other people in the Chicago area own a Tesla, and it's turning heads, Wisniewski said.

Tesla expects to open its first Chicago dealership next month at 1053 W. Grand.

"It's definitely a conversation piece," said Kevin Daly, Tesla's Midwest regional sales manager, of his own Roadster. "It really has changed the script on what people's thoughts are for electric cars."

The car charges overnight, like a cell phone, using either a 110-volt or 220-volt charger. It claims to run 220 miles on a charge. Daly says the car runs well in extreme cold or heat (though he admits a sports car isn't great in heavy snow).

The cost for the electricity is about 1 or 2 cents per mile. To get ready for guests with electric cars, Hyatt Hotels and Lake Point Tower in Chicago are offering charging stations, according to Daly.

Kevin Daly hasn't answered my last few emails of inquiry. I am assuming that the work is going slower than expected. I see there is work going on the inside, but nothing at all that can be seen externally yet.