Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chicago Electricians for EV Charger Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

I finally have approval from my condo board in Chicago to let me install an EV charger in the parking lot. Jumped through a lot of hoops and requirements but I got the green light.

Anyone recommend any licensed and insured electricians in the area? I am working with Kapital Electric but their quote is way too expensive so looking to compare quotes between vendors. Thanks in advance!

I've been keeping a list of electricians people here mention good experiences with. Kapital is on the list. The other one I have is Howard Simons, in Skokie.

My dad recently used Current Electric (www.currentelect.com) to put in a circuit for a lift in his garage. They charged $1500 for two guys to come out and spend about 6 hours working on it, which seemed reasonable.

Judging from your zip code we are neighbors. Definitely will keep an eye on this thread!

I've been keeping a list of electricians people here mention good experiences with. Kapital is on the list. The other one I have is Howard Simons, in Skokie.

My dad recently used Current Electric (www.currentelect.com) to put in a circuit for a lift in his garage. They charged $1500 for two guys to come out and spend about 6 hours working on it, which seemed reasonable.

Judging from your zip code we are neighbors. Definitely will keep an eye on this thread!
Thank you!! Since you are my neighbor, do you know how else I can approach charging my car over night? I have an open parking lot (gated) and the electrical panel is just too far from my spot which is raising the cost of installation. I have already tried to switch with neighbors, even offered cash but no one wanted to switch.

If someone has a garage they can rent, etc - I am open to any and all options at this point.

I finally have approval from my condo board in Chicago to let me install an EV charger in the parking lot. Jumped through a lot of hoops and requirements but I got the green light.

Anyone recommend any licensed and insured electricians in the area? I am working with Kapital Electric but their quote is way too expensive so looking to compare quotes between vendors. Thanks in advance!

What quote are you getting?

I got a quote from them that was a bit on the lower side compared to some other electricians around my area.

Actually the guy I talked to mentioned he was in the city today in regards to installing a charger. You might have been who he was referring to.

Did you meet with Don Butler? He was wearing a Tesla jacket. Real nice guy to talk too and asked a lot of good questions compared to the other two electricians I’ve gotten quotes from.

Call Max 312-647-8688. Installed my Tesla Wall Connector yesterday in under 2.5 hours including pulling fresh 6 gauge wire, extending conduit and upgrading breakers. I'm in the northern suburbs, but I know he covers the area. Great price, great service.

Reactions: BGOwner
I ended up going with Amp Electric. Allin and his partner did a great job and great price, based on the quotes I got. Over half of what Current Electric quoted. For anyone interested, Allin’s number is 773-782-7965. I found him off of Angi.com

Hey BGOwner. Thanks for posting this here. Allin was the fourth contractor I had out to assess an installation at my condo building. His quote came in at about half of what the other contractors quoted me. I will be using him for my installation and I'll post back once complete! Thanks for dropping his details here!

Hey BGOwner. Thanks for posting this here. Allin was the fourth contractor I had out to assess an installation at my condo building. His quote came in at about half of what the other contractors quoted me. I will be using him for my installation and I'll post back once complete! Thanks for dropping his details here!
Any chance you can provide the cost range of installation? I am currently researching options for my 3-unit condo in Chicago. Would need to upgrade the breaker box and extend a new conduit so trying to gauge how much that all would be.

Any chance you can provide the cost range of installation? I am currently researching options for my 3-unit condo in Chicago. Would need to upgrade the breaker box and extend a new conduit so trying to gauge how much that all would be.

Hey @mross16,

My condo installation was a doozy... I had 3 contractors come out and assess the job. My guess is that it's as expensive as it ever would be because of the infrastructure of my building. I live on floor 9, and my parking space is on floor 3. Each contractor agreed that we needed to pull power from my unit and run it 100+ feet all the way down to 3. There was a lot of drilling through concrete and fire caulk to make this possible.

Anyway, long story short, the first two electricians quoted me $5400 and $5750. The third quoted me $3400 with an additional discount afterwards (may or may not be applicable in your case). Not cheap by any means, but I was just glad to save a little bit of money and still get a level 2 charger. For what looked like a VERY complicated install, I am happy. They did a great job.

Hey @mross16,

My condo installation was a doozy... I had 3 contractors come out and assess the job. My guess is that it's as expensive as it ever would be because of the infrastructure of my building. I live on floor 9, and my parking space is on floor 3. Each contractor agreed that we needed to pull power from my unit and run it 100+ feet all the way down to 3. There was a lot of drilling through concrete and fire caulk to make this possible.

Anyway, long story short, the first two electricians quoted me $5400 and $5750. The third quoted me $3400 with an additional discount afterwards (may or may not be applicable in your case). Not cheap by any means, but I was just glad to save a little bit of money and still get a level 2 charger. For what looked like a VERY complicated install, I am happy. They did a great job.
Thanks for the heads up here. Doesn't appear that I will need any drilling and now wiring up to the 3rd floor so really trying to understand cost. Overall though sounds like you went with the fourth contractor Allin and it was around$2k-$3k?

Thanks for the heads up here. Doesn't appear that I will need any drilling and now wiring up to the 3rd floor so really trying to understand cost. Overall though sounds like you went with the fourth contractor Allin and it was around$2k-$3k?

That sounds accurate, but no promises from me! I'd recommend calling around and setting up consultations and estimates. Allin comes highly recommended though!

I just had Amp Electric (Allin) install the Level 2 charger, for me. Highly recommend them - very easy to deal with, on time, economical and immaculate clean up afterwards. I'm in a condo in the city so the route from my meter (they determined coming from panel was not optimal) to the garage was a little bit tricky - but they figured it out very quickly.