Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Looking for electrician to fix Level 2 charger in Los Angeles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

Does anybody have any recommendations for electricians with level 2 charger experience in the Los Angeles area?

After 8 years, our Bosh level 2 home charger is starting to misbehave. When I charge at full power (40A) it trips the circuit breaker at random. I have to lower the power to about 20A to get it to work more reliably. It might be the charger, it might be the panel. Probably some investigation will be needed. I am not confortable with calling just a local electrician, and the one who installed the charger has since retired.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Any electrician should be able to check this for you.

The process I would expect is to: verify the terminals on the circuit breaker are properly torqued, start a charging session and use a clamp ammeter to verify the vehicle is charging at 40 Amps. If the terminals were loose and needed tightening, let a charging session run to see if the issue is addressed. If not, replace the circuit breaker.

This all assumes that the correct size breaker (50 Amps) and wiring was used on the original installation for supporting a 50 Amp circuit to allow for 40 Amp charging.

• Informative
Reactions: Vinc
Any electrician should be able to check this for you.

The process I would expect is to: verify the terminals on the circuit breaker are properly torqued, start a charging session and use a clamp ammeter to verify the vehicle is charging at 40 Amps. If the terminals were loose and needed tightening, let a charging session run to see if the issue is addressed. If not, replace the circuit breaker.

This all assumes that the correct size breaker (50 Amps) and wiring was used on the original installation for supporting a 50 Amp circuit to allow for 40 Amp charging.
Thank you! This is very helpful. It did not occur to me that it could be a problem with the breaker. I really appreciate it!