Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Tesla 3 with single-phase 3 pin socket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My house only has single-phase power connected to the main switchboard and so the outlet can only support up to 32 A single phase electricity power for charging Telsa. That charging power of 7 kW can be supported by the UMC without having to install the HPWC as far as I understand. The question is if I ask an electrician to install such as a 32 A single phase 3 pin outlet, what kind tail adapter I can use? Tesla Australia is selling a Blue Adapter rated 16 A in its shop which seems to fit the 32 A 3 pin outlet but the current rating is low. Strangely the page says it supports charging power up to 7.4 kW which does not make sense for 16 A current.

Tesla Australia is selling a Blue Adapter rated 16 A in its shop which seems to fit the 32 A 3 pin outlet
No it does not. The pins on the blue adaptor are wrong diameter and spacing between pins is different.

the page says it supports charging power up to 7.4 kW which does not make sense for 16 A current.
True, maybe the page is implying the Gen2 UMC can only take 7.4kW so therefore that becomes the rating of the adaptor. I wouldn't be pushing 32A through pins rated for 16A.

I think you are better off with something like this from EVSE for your Gen 2 Universal Mobile Connector (UMC)
Tesla Gen 2 UMC Adapter | 32 Amp | 7 kW | 3-Pin plug

If you want to use your UMC as a portable EVSE you would need tails to connect to the common 32A, 20A, 15A and 10A outlets.
If that is the case and depending on your needs you should consider Gen2 UMC Connector Bundle. Ask them to supply a single phase 32A 3pin tail - you have a total go-anywhere solution for home and travel, instead of a single-solution adaptor for home charging only.
If you are a TOCA member they offer a member's discount.

The question is if I ask an electrician to install such as a 32 A single phase 3 pin outlet, what kind tail adapter I can use? Tesla Australia is selling

If you are getting an electrician in to install a 32A outlet, I’d just go ahead and install the wall charger.

There’s very little difference in effort and materials for the sparky’s work either way.

The wall unit is much more convenient to use at home, and it means that you’ll always have the mobile charger in your car for road trips and emergencies.

Reactions: Furfy
There's a $700 difference for new orders though, as the HPWC is no longer included for orders from 16 Oct (when the price dropped)

OP do you already have the car?

Even if it’s a new order, $700 for the wall charger is worth every penny if you are already getting the sparky in for a new circuit.

Buying a bunch of exotic tails also has a cost.

it’s definitely good to always have the mobile charger in the car. The one time you forget is the time you need it!