Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

charging question for 2016 MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an admittedly older car (Oct 2016 MX P100D), and when I (very rarely) plug into a supercharger, I am only able to get 72 kW rate of charge, even when the car has 40% on the battery and even when I'm the only one on a charging bank. My car actually says "max 72 kW". Just wondering if this is the max I'll ever see due to the age of the car and the battery pack. Batteries still working great with only maybe 4-5% degradation after all this time. Not a big deal, really just curious. 72 kW is still 201mph of charging, so it really isn't a huge deal. But getting 150 kW rate of charge would be impressive. It's not the particular supercharger I'm using. It occurs at all supercharger stations.

Have you tried charging at a supercharger at about 10% charge? My X gets to about 130kw when the charge is that low, however, it starts going down quickly as the battery gets charged. I think 72Kw is about right for 40% state of charge.

Have you tried charging at a supercharger at about 10% charge? My X gets to about 130kw when the charge is that low, however, it starts going down quickly as the battery gets charged. I think 72Kw is about right for 40% state of charge.

No, I can't say I've ever pulled up to a supercharger at 10%. When I'm on the road, I typically don't let it get that low. I read somewhere that letting a lithium ion battery get below 20% does damage to the battery. How much, I don't know. And I don't travel all that often, so I've probably only supercharged less than 10 total times since I've owned the car (Feb 2020).

But thanks for the reply. Guess that's my charge rate.

You were told wrong. Let that battery get LOW, let that battery cycle, let that battery BREATHE. I also have a 2016 MX (75D) and when I've seen 130's hold before tapering down to 70's. The higher the SOC, the less KW it'll pack in as the battery load balances.

Chargegate. Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software
Software after car fires reduced the max charge power and changed the charge curve

Thanks! Very informative. Not sure this applies to my question though. I haven't lost any range other than standard minimal degradation after 4.5 years. I'm talking about the rate at which a supercharger charges my car. My understanding is that the very newest superchargers can charge "some" cars at rates up to 250 kW, and the slightly older superchargers can charge up to 150 kW, whereas the "urban" superchargers can only charge up to 72 kW. Regardless of what supercharger I use, and I've used all three types, when I start charging at around 30-40% SOC and charge up to 70% SOC, I am only charging at 72 kW. At 70%, the charge rate begins to taper. It's only charging at about 50 kW by the time it gets to 80%. I know it tapers quite a bit more after that, so I don't typically wait. Once I charged to about 93%, but at that SOC, it was so slow that it was actually painful to watch.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
That is odd. How many miles are on the pack? You may want to call customer support and see if they can remote diagnose your car. If you hit the Supercharging cap, it should only reduce max kw rate by about 10%. My 2017 P100DL probably has about 20k miles worth of supercharging and still ramps above 115kw at V1, above 140 kw at V2, and above 150kw at V3.

That’s the chargegate part which is distinct from the reduced range. It’s a long thread.
Initial power is reduced (110, 105, 100, 95), tapers promptly (~75), and drops to 45kW at 50% and declines from there.
Adds about 30 min to a typical most-charge roadtrip stop.

From what I have seen, the older 100 packs are hit with a 10% cap after 15,000 kwh of DC fast charging.

No, I can't say I've ever pulled up to a supercharger at 10%. When I'm on the road, I typically don't let it get that low. I read somewhere that letting a lithium ion battery get below 20% does damage to the battery. How much, I don't know. And I don't travel all that often, so I've probably only supercharged less than 10 total times since I've owned the car (Feb 2020).

But thanks for the reply. Guess that's my charge rate.

I don't fear getting it down to that low. I know this is the X forum but on our Raven S I've gone down to 5% charge before and 10-15% several times. I typically daily charge to 80 or 90 percent. After a year and 16K miles my range has only degraded 1.5% and still charges at peak rates (114-117 kW for the 75 battery).

That is odd. How many miles are on the pack? You may want to call customer support and see if they can remote diagnose your car. If you hit the Supercharging cap, it should only reduce max kw rate by about 10%. My 2017 P100DL probably has about 20k miles worth of supercharging and still ramps above 115kw at V1, above 140 kw at V2, and above 150kw at V3.

Thanks @VikH . Looks like I should be getting faster charging rates. I'll check on it.

The car has 54K miles on it today.