Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in Upstate New York (or maybe Vermont)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyway, it does seem to think that there are public J1772s in Syracuse -- mostly by Blink, but also at Burdick Nissan -- and at the Maguire Nissan dealer in Ithaca. I don't know whether any of them are for real; you'd probably have to call and check. If I make it to Syracuse any time soon (which is kind of unlikely) I may go around and check all of them.

That would be greatly appreciated.

Rome NY appears to have multiple public J-1772 chargers available. It looks like you could make it there from Ottawa on a single charge using mostly 50 mph roads. Might be a long wait at 32A but you could get to Albany the same day you left home.

I own Roadster #1305 and live in Jericho, VT, where I have both a NEMA 14-50 and a Tesla HPC 70 amp charger in my garage. Tesla owners are welcome to use these if they contact me in advance.

Best regards,
David Jones

Doug I'm so sad. I was really looking forward to hearing about a Tesla adventure. :crying:

It was really down to the wire. There were two problems:
  • Two Kingston area charge locations were going to be available immediately after my trip.
  • The distance from Kingston ON to Albany NY is just over the ideal range of the Roadster. I couldn't find anything in-between.
On the bright side, I'm taking my Roadster to an Advanced Autoslalom school the following weekend. So maybe I can post a different kind of adventure.

It was really down to the wire. There were two problems:
  • Two Kingston area charge locations were going to be available immediately after my trip.
  • The distance from Kingston ON to Albany NY is just over the ideal range of the Roadster. I couldn't find anything in-between.
On the bright side, I'm taking my Roadster to an Advanced Autoslalom school the following weekend. So maybe I can post a different kind of adventure.

What's wrong with the half-dozen or so chargers in Syracuse and Rome, NY? You wouldn't have to be there long if Albany is on the edge of your range. Or maybe you didn't want to stay overnight in Albany?

I have not had confirmation that those chargers are (a) real, (b) have acceptable power levels, and (c) are publicly accessible.
There are so many that it's hard to believe they all don't work. Syracuse has 13+ Blink chargers that all show up as operational on the Blink network. Another 15+ that are off network. Mostly public parking lots. 5 chargers in Rome NY, 4 of which are in public parking lots although they indicate "off network." If it's anything like Chargepoint, off network just means they aren't paying the monthly fee to Blink or ChargePoint to be active on their network, but the charger still works. All the network does is tell you if they are in use or not. Various charge maps show them as 32A 240v or 208v. A quick phone call to Rome City Hall would probably tell you whether they are operational since most of them are in municipal lots. I realize you'd rather find 40A sources. RV parks aren't generally open yet but many owners are there year-round. I would encourage you not to give up yet!

Well, Doug, sorry I didn't manage to verify the charger locations in Syracuse.

Even though I'm not getting an electric car right now, I went ahead and sprung for a NEMA 14-50 outdoor outlet on my house, so if you ever plan to stop by Ithaca, you know you have some place to charge (after tonight when the electricians finish working).

(I figured after investigation that doing the wiring for the outdoor outlet, where I'm absolutely sure where it will need to be no matter what electric car I get in the future, made sense; the most I'd have to replace is the socket.)

Well, Doug, sorry I didn't manage to verify the charger locations in Syracuse.

Even though I'm not getting an electric car right now, I went ahead and sprung for a NEMA 14-50 outdoor outlet on my house, so if you ever plan to stop by Ithaca, you know you have some place to charge (after tonight when the electricians finish working).

(I figured after investigation that doing the wiring for the outdoor outlet, where I'm absolutely sure where it will need to be no matter what electric car I get in the future, made sense; the most I'd have to replace is the socket.)

Hey, that's awesome. That would be the missing link I am looking for!

I believe that I read that CVPS (power company) has installed chargers in Middlebury and Montpelier.

I'll believe it when I see it. Their so-called public charger installed in Rutland about 2 years ago is still not operational. OK, they use it themselves but if they catch you charging there they will kick you out. This despite the fact that they made a big deal bragging about it in the brochure that came in our electric bill. They blame the state for not approving a special rate for them to charge EVs but that's not the whole story. They could easily charge normal rates until it's resolved.

reviving an oldish thread because I'm planning on taking a road trip to finger lakes country NY. I am looking for the best place to charge around skaneateles/syracuse. I see some public 30A charging stations...i'll be lowish on battery so using one of those will take a good 7 hours or more to fully charge. any recommendations? I'm guessing maybe an RV park somewhere may be the best bet? Any good hiking around those parts? I guess I wouldn't mind hiking around for a few hours to get a full charge on a NEMA 14-50 in an RV park. Any help/recommendations appreciated! If anyone knows of a HPWC in these parts (i have dual chargers) that may be even better ;)

I think you've got the right idea looking for an RV park/campground, especially if you like hiking. I would call a few and ask if there is access to good hiking trails directly from the campground. Some are more EV friendly than others so make sure they will have a 50A outlet available on the days you're there.

reviving an oldish thread because I'm planning on taking a road trip to finger lakes country NY. I am looking for the best place to charge around skaneateles/syracuse. I see some public 30A charging stations...i'll be lowish on battery so using one of those will take a good 7 hours or more to fully charge. any recommendations? I'm guessing maybe an RV park somewhere may be the best bet? Any good hiking around those parts? I guess I wouldn't mind hiking around for a few hours to get a full charge on a NEMA 14-50 in an RV park. Any help/recommendations appreciated! If anyone knows of a HPWC in these parts (i have dual chargers) that may be even better ;)