Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging at airport

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the etiquette at airport EV charging stations? Specifically, at San Diego airport, if anyone knows. They have EV charging parking spots in the parking plaza. Normally, I'd say you should charge and then leave the spot ASAP, but does that apply at an airport where people are leaving town? My poor Leaf will likely have only about 25 miles of range when I park this afternoon so I'd love to charge it while I'm gone overnight, but don't want to hog the charger either.

Obviously each locality will have its own rules & etiquette, but my personal opinion is that if they are level 1 chargers (i.e. 120V), they are meant for long term use, so I would say it's fine to use those however you see fit. And obviously look for those first if you are going to be there >24 hours.

I would also consider L2 chargers (if that's all that's available) suitable for long(ish) term use, but if you are going to be gone for more than a week I would probably try to leave them open for others and make use of a fast charger. For 24 hours though, it's fair game.

DC fast chargers, however, should only be used temporarily upon arrival or departure. Definitely not for use overnight.

What's the etiquette at airport EV charging stations? Specifically, at San Diego airport, if anyone knows. They have EV charging parking spots in the parking plaza. Normally, I'd say you should charge and then leave the spot ASAP, but does that apply at an airport where people are leaving town?
Well, you never gave the vital piece of information. Is this the long term parking area or the short term parking area? The etiquette would be totally opposite for those two cases. Of course if it's long term parking where people will be leaving their cars for days at a time, there is no expectation for people to move their cars. If it's short term parking, then yeah, normal charging station etiquette applies, where you use it while you're using it and then move.

Reactions: RTPEV and Genie