Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging App Chaos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys, It seems to me that there's really no good, reliable solution for finding charge points using an (iOS) app. For example, we will be attending Embedded World in Nuremberg later this month. I was just looking at where I can charge at or near the hotel we'll be using. I have the following plethora of iOS apps installed:

e-WHh
The New Motion
E-rijden
Oplaadpunten
ChargeMap
Fastned
PlugSurfing
Open Charge Map
Plugshare

Since I gather that a lot of you use PlugSurfing, I started there. Good news, it lists a charge point 763m from the hotel. Better news - it lists the charge point as being from "The New Motion". So just to cross check, I checked on the New Motion app - no charge point mentioned. Hmmm... Worse, the New Motion app says "No charge points found that apply to your filter settings". Ok... so my filter settings are "All Cars" from 7.4kw, type 2. Could be correct, but when I switch to map view it shows a charge point at 6.1miles (not km, you understand. Must be something to do with my phone being in English - all anglos are stuck in imperial units, as everyone knows). Ah, boll**ks.

So I then tried my favourite, ChargeMap, which listed the nearest charge point as being 5.4km from the hotel. No charge point close to the hotel. Next try: Oplaadpunten, which distinguishes itself by not having a search function. Scrolling the map to Nuremberg, I find... ...that it lists the charge point also noted by PlugSurfing, but the details are sketchy: not clear how to pay ("oplaadpas"), power rating not listed. But worst of all it lists the status as "niet beschikbaar"... HOWEVER, there's a second entry, with the same address that is listed as being available. WTF?

Open Charge Map: "0 results match your search" (at least it has a search function).
PlugShare: "no stations found"
e-KWh: nearest charge point = 56.8km
E-rijden: nearest charge point = Berlin

This is amazing and totally crap, not least considering the number of IT people driving around in Tesla's. Excuse my simple thinking, but I would have thought that a reliable map/database of charge points would be part of the "whole product" experience and that therefore SOMEONE, perhaps even Tesla, would take the trouble to set one up. Ok, I'm sure that Tesla have their hands full with stuff, but maybe they could encourage/sponsor someone else to do a decent job? ChargeMap is half decent and is sponsored by Nissan, so maybe Tesla should join up with them and ensure the other half gets done. I don't know, but what I do know is that this is the most problematic aspect of driving an EV into the unknown and it needs fixing...

Or can someone suggest the 9th, 10th or 11th app that I should install?

Cheers. Rob.

I will also visit the Embedded World and just started planning my trip.

Last year I contacted the organisation, as it seemed they had no power connections for EV charging at the parkings.

I got an e-mail a few days later and was informed they will organize several special power boxes that I could use at no costs. And indeed there were two boxes with several 16A and 32A red connectors specially set up !
Parking was actually right at the entrance. Great service of the Messe Nurnberg !

I was also told then that they were planning on installing chargers in the parkings, so these should be ready now.

My advise would be to contact the Messe. Please let me know if they have EV chargers now, so I can reserve a parking as well :)

Denk dat vooral de achterliggende databases het probleem zijn. En op het moment dat je gaat werken met gebruikersinformatie is het nog een hele kunst om deze goed en betrouwbaar te maken en bovendien zijn er nu juist te veel apps waar gebruikers hun informatie delen, zodat geen enkele echt volledig is.
Voor Duitsland ben ik vooral tevreden over de info die te vinden is op plugfinder.de of in de gelijknamige app. Voorbeeld voor Neurenberg:

image.jpg

And how about the following.. this makes 20.. and counting ..

I just had a first look at Nuon Laadpunten.. like that one, it's fast, shows chargespeed, availability and distance in a very friendly userinterface.. Filters are good (just Type 2 and ChAdeMO - not those silly Chuko's as some app-developers seem to think to be important..), availability options and speed options. Can't see if the information is complete and correct...

Filtering on 22kW-50kW shows 6 options on the map in Amsterdam...one is ANWB, drilling down on the "5" on the map results in zero options.. had a second look - it is just a bit slow to respond (system should prefetch data I would say)..
Just do not understand power filteroptions like "11kW-22kW" and the next one "22kW-50kW".. Which one do I need for 22kW.. -;).
It is limited to NL.

And one can get notification about chargers getting available. The Website also mentions option to contact other drivers/chargers by email and ask about how long they will be there.. Like that one, but could not find that option in the App..

I think the is a winner.

Anyone using this App ?

Nuon Laadpunten (sinds een half jaar, kon natuurlijk ook niet achterblijven...)
KiWi - Frankrijk
Autolib - Parijs
E-Rijden - Essent
MijnLaden - Eneco
Oplaadpalen
NextCharge
Enel Drive - Italië
Hera Mobility - Italië
Plugfinder
Chargepoints

ZapMap - UK
e-kWh

The New Motion
E-rijden
Oplaadpunten
ChargeMap
Fastned
PlugSurfing
Open Charge Map
Plugshare

Last edited:
Heeft niemand contacten bij Waze? Lijkt me de ideale app om ook laadpunten in op te nemen. Makkelijke interface en een grote community om de data schoon te houden.

- - - Updated - - -

Dit zijn de apps die ik nu gebruik:

image.jpg
image.jpg

Waze heeft zijn eigen forum en daar is het al heel lang geleden geopperd.
Zelfs binnen de huidige functionaliteit zou het slechts betekenen dat er een paar nieuwe 'brandstoffen' worden opgenomen bij de verkooppunten. Bijv. 3,7kW, 11kW, etc ipv EURO95 enzo.

Toevallig ben ik net terug van de Spielwarenmesse in Nürnberg. Wij hebben geslapen in een familie Gasthof Güthlein in Erlangen. Ik was aan dit adres gekomen, dankzij Chargemap.
Redelijk hotel. De Tesla heb ik met 11 kW kunnen opladen. Een verlengsnoer is wel nodig.

Tot afgelopen weekend vertrouwde ik altijd op Chargemap. Totdat wij op de terugweg via Frankfurt (daar moesten wij ook een beurs bezoeken) er achter kwamen dat Chargemap inderdaad niet bepaald volledig is. Bij het beursgebouw konden wij de RWE palen niet vinden, zoals deze bij Chargemap zijn weergegeven. Hierdoor kon de auto tijdens ons beursbezoek niet opgeladen worden.
Door omstanders werden wij allerlei kanten opgestuurd. Op een gegeven moment heb ik de zoektocht gestaakt, uit vrees dat ik teveel energie zou verspillen en de SuC Neuberg niet meer zou halen.

Na de beurs dus genoodzaakt om via SuC Neuberg naar Wilnsdorf te rijden. Jammer.
Achteraf hadden we de RWE palen waarschijnlijk wel met TNM app kunnen vinden. Die gaf een andere en waarschijnlijk juiste Parkhaus aan.

Overigens, op het forum bij onze Duitse collega's gaat het gerucht dat er langs de A3 bij Heßdorf of Erlangen-West een SuC gebouwd zal gaan worden. Tot op heden zijn er helaas nog geen bouwactiviteiten gespot....