Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger will not work with Tesla Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20230920_133115.jpg
20230920_133305.jpg

New member,
Please provide more details model year and spec. This looks like a L2 charger. What are you using as the converter? Are you in North America or somewhere else? No idea where Eire is. If you are on NACS and using an adapter, your adapter may be defective. Try a different one. If it is Tesla OEM, they might replace it. Good luck.

Reactions: father_of_6
Hi there,

There is a charger in my workplace that works and charges all other EV's but won't work with any Tesla's Model 3
I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this before?

I've tried changing the amps and plugging out and in the charger multiple times.
I will say the charger is about 7/8 years old.

Any help is much appreciated.

View attachment 975523
View attachment 975524
Looks like you’re in Ireland (Us yanks generally don’t know what Eire is, I just happened to collect stamps as a kid, so I do know).

You might get more intelligent responses in a regional sub forum. Respondents here generally tend to be from North America and your charging setup is different on your side of the world.

This used to come up in the early days of J1772 EVSEs. The control pilot is supposed to have an 1kHz signal ranging from -12v to +12v. Some of the early EVSEs (for example, the one Nissan supplied with the 1st Gen LEAF), cheated and used an 0v to +12v control pilot. Most cars were happy to accept that, but some, particularly the Tesla Model S of the time, was not.

I wouldn't be surprised if modern Tesla's still acted the same way...after all it's technically correct.

I know that the Euro standard uses the same control pilot signal, and it wouldn't surprise me if some old EVSE there did the same thing.