Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port not Opening on Cable Button Press

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the recent two firmware updates screwed with this. With 2.20.45, my MX 90D (VIN 40xx delivered 04/18/16) opened the charge port door when I pressed the button on the charge cable. With 24.30 and 24.78, I lost that feature.

Normally, I just tap the charge port door to open it, but it only ever opened when I have the key. I don't think it is a good idea for the port to open without someone having the key. I never had to unlock the MX.

Is that by your choice or is your car supposed to and it does not?

Well, we've had annoying issues with the charge port since we got the X, including having button press work sporadically and being unable to unlatch the charge cable in the morning. However, I just went out and tried again and it does appear that pressing the button will open the charge port. So I can move to that, though I'll have to hear my S pop the door open when I do it. Can't you read my mind, Sparky?

I used the fob today to lock all of the doors and the spoiler went down to confirm the lock. I then realized I forgot to plug the wc into the car so I dragged the cable over to the charge port and pressed the charger button. The port opened without raising the spoiler. I am on .66 as I have not seen an update since.

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
I think the recent two firmware updates screwed with this. With 2.20.45, my MX 90D (VIN 40xx delivered 04/18/16) opened the charge port door when I pressed the button on the charge cable. With 24.30 and 24.78, I lost that feature.

Normally, I just tap the charge port door to open it, but it only ever opened when I have the key. I don't think it is a good idea for the port to open without someone having the key. I never had to unlock the MX.

My chargeport door is opening again with the push of the button on the charger cable. 2.24.86

I tried to plug in the X today. It was locked (my wife had driven it, and I'd returned in the S). I did not have the fob on me, and I couldn't get it to open with a button press. I pressed that button in all kinds of locations, like I was shooting at an arcade. No luck. As soon as I unlocked the car with the iOS app, pressing the button popped the door.

(This in response to @aesculus saying he could open the port while the car was locked).

I tried to plug in the X today. It was locked (my wife had driven it, and I'd returned in the S). I did not have the fob on me, and I couldn't get it to open with a button press. I pressed that button in all kinds of locations, like I was shooting at an arcade. No luck. As soon as I unlocked the car with the iOS app, pressing the button popped the door.

(This in response to @aesculus saying he could open the port while the car was locked).
I just went out and tested. Cannot open the door when locked at all. When unlocked, it's completely reliable, within a range of about 6 feet.

Yes, this is what I do now, but it requires the car to be unlocked first and I don't always have the on me.
You should also be able to open the charge port by just pushing on it lightly.
On my late production, pushing the charge door does nothing. Software 2.24.30 does not respond to charger button either. Hoping for software update soon.

This thing is getting weirdier everyday. Mine did not work since I got the car three month ago until a couple weeks ago that I, actually wife, figured out I have to point it at one particular place, right hehind the rear window molding and above the charger door. It usually will work after 2~3 tries. However when I mentioned this to the service rep at Sunnyvale service center he insisted this should not work. He said the cable click does not work on the X yet.

When the car is unlocked, the charge port opens with the push of the button on the charger cable. For the purposes of removing the charger cable, how do you folks unlock the X? If I double tap on the top of the key fob, the front door opens (even with auto present front door disabled). I can hold the rear of the key fob pressed to unlock the charge port - problem here is that sometimes the charge port does not release the first time and if press the rear of the key fob again, the trunk opens and can hit my garage door. Unlocking with app is an option but it takes a while to connect - do not see the need to enable "always connected" just for this.

Any suggestions?

When the car is unlocked, the charge port opens with the push of the button on the charger cable. For the purposes of removing the charger cable, how do you folks unlock the X? If I double tap on the top of the key fob, the front door opens (even with auto present front door disabled). I can hold the rear of the key fob pressed to unlock the charge port - problem here is that sometimes the charge port does not release the first time and if press the rear of the key fob again, the trunk opens and can hit my garage door. Unlocking with app is an option but it takes a while to connect - do not see the need to enable "always connected" just for this.

Any suggestions?
Approach to unlock works great for me.

hey so having tricky situation with this: if I have the key fob on me and car is locked I can not open the charger port. If car is unlocked I can with the charger cable .
HOWEVER....with this new firmware update when I go to charger the car and unlock by pressing the keyfob to unlock the car which will then allow me to press the cable button as stated above....the DAMN driver side door opens every time. Also I cant press the button on charger port lid to open it...doesnt seem to work....any ideas?

Only way is to open charger port by holding keyfob trunk button/iphone unlock? anything else?

This is the other reason I don't use the button. Often, I unplug from the S, close the charge port door, and move the cable to the X. If I hit the button, the S port opens from across the garage. By the way, it frequently will not open if I press the button right near the port. Of course.

I pressed my charge port button earlier today, I hope it didn't open @ohhman charge port on his S

I have asked others to plug in my car when they are finished, and I have plugged others in when I left a charging area with a long corded HPWC. This would not have been possible if the owner was not present to unlock the car. I think it is a great advantage as it is!